What's going on in PG????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman349

Chief-

Any idea where the transmitter sites are for the VHF station monitoring? How much power are they transmitting? I am in Waldorf and the signal I am getting is really weak. I get about an s2 withmostly static over the voice.

chief34a

The transmitters are on Goodluck Road in Glendale and in Temple Hills for the south. It doesn't seem to be up 100% but keep in mind that it is designed for in county monitoring by station receivers. The transmitters are only 100Watts each.

chief34a

That's been mentioned to the Motorola techs and they are aware of it. Right now they have a lot going on so it may take a little while before they can take care of it but it is on the list!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's the data in this link for 155.79 from the FCC db search

Maryland Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There are 2 callsigns and multiple locations listed. Which callsign should be used to add this data to the database? It looks like WQGV455 but there are several other locations on the same frequency with a different call

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

illbedam

It’s seems that those in charge of this endeavor have become blinded by the aura of a brand new radio system and have forgotten or may have never known how operations in PG are conducted. It may also be that these folks haven’t been on a fire truck or ambulance in quite some time and have become out-of-touch with what goes on outside of their office or “Chiefs Buggy”. The Big “M” I’m sure has had their input into this whole ordeal too. I’m sure that they had their hand in the pot to help inflame this frenzy that has consumed those that are out-of-touch.

It’s the end of another era friends. As so many have mentioned on here in the past. Again the romance of monitoring this and other analog systems is gone. Everyone will sound like robots. That is if they can even relay their message verbally. Oh wait, we will have buttons for that now. The passing of emotion or sense of seriousness will be gone as the police have found out. In other words you wont “hear it in his voice” anymore. No more talk-around as we knew it. Talk Around which was always an essential part of fire operations or every day operations. No more being able to make-out a weak transmission by just paying real good attention. As we all know you either hear it or you don’t with digital radios. Those taking the training at Public Safety Communications have been told that these radios will have very little coverage indoors. Which is another little thing that the cops have found out already. But hey, we’ll have a million channels right? Ummm…..who is going to be assigned to dispatch on all of those million channels since we all know that PSC will not be increasing their staffing?

So when the so called “old and out dated” system goes dark and the “new fancy state of the art” system goes online, remember that it was better for all of us. Even though those talking on it can’t talk on it and the scanners can’t scan it. I pray to god that no one gets hurt or killed during all this. PG County is not like anywhere else on earth. We don’t fight fires like they do in the rest of the country. We shouldn’t be the “Guinea Pigs” for an untested technology either. At one time we set the standards across the country in this county. Now we seem to be trying to lower ourselves to the rest of the nation. Just a thought.

That is all…….
And you were where 15 years ago when this circus was born?

chief34a

155.79 is a 5 site system for station alerting and pagers (minitors). The sites listed just doesn't look quite right. I will check into it and let you know.........

dtscho

Database Admin
I'm copying 155.6850 [156.7] with a very weak signal from Spotsylvania County, Virginia. I added the frequency to the database.

Dave

troymail

Silent Key
Really curious what is going on with this system -- yesterday (Thursday), TG 1135 was extremely active (but may have been a simo of TG 1133 but not sure) -- today nearly nothing on TG 1135.

However, TG 1133 is still fully active as FIRE DISPATCH

TG 1039 and 1035 seem to be fireground TGs but I need to watch more (it's really hard to pick it up from my area just south of BWI Airport).

Dewey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint-SPH-i350)

troymail said:
I've only ever picked up control channel activity on what is know as SITE 101 (774.68125).

Prince George's County (Project 25) Trunking System, Various, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

However, there is a SITE 102 listed -- is anyone aware of any activity on 102 (773.88125) - currently or in the past?

Site 101 is the north part of the county and site 102 is the south. Like you concerning the north site, I can only hear activity on the south site from my home.

Dewey

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint-SPH-i350)

Site 101 is the north part of the county and site 102 is the south. Like you, I can only hear activity on the south site from my home.

Dewey

So you ARE hearing Site 102?

Does anyone know where these sites are really located? Looking at RR, Site 102 seemed to be listed as in the Bowie area - that's not very south.... east maybe... but not south.

DISREGARD: I had some coordinates in the past that pointed me to Rt 50 @ Rt 301 but that was apparently bad info.... I just found this:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WQJS917

Now I see why I can barely pick this thing up--- the closest site/tower (according to the above map) is in Upper Marlboro! Seems strange there is nothing apparently for the north/eastern side of the County - everything seems to be south....

EDIT#2: OK -- Now I remember where I found BOWIE as a site -- the CC frequency I'm listening to is 774,68125 (can't seem to hear any others). If I search that frequency at FCC.gov, there are different sites listed which include BOWIE:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocSum.jsp?licKey=3069799

Ah: there it is: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WQJU812

Last edited:

Dewey

So you ARE hearing Site 102?

Does anyone know where these sites are really located? Looking at RR, Site 102 seemed to be listed as in the Bowie area - that's not very south.... east maybe... but not south.

DISREGARD: I had some coordinates in the past that pointed me to Rt 50 @ Rt 301 but that was apparently bad info.... I just found this:

FCC Callsign WQJS917 Details

Now I see why I can barely pick this thing up--- the closest site/tower (according to the above map) is in Upper Marlboro! Seems strange there is nothing apparently for the north/eastern side of the County - everything seems to be south....

EDIT#2: OK -- Now I remember where I found BOWIE as a site -- the CC frequency I'm listening to is 774,68125 (can't seem to hear any others). If I search that frequency at FCC.gov, there are different sites listed which include BOWIE:

ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQJU812 - PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY, OF - Locations Summary

Ah: there it is: FCC Callsign WQJU812 Details

Looks like you've pretty much answered your own questions, but YES, I AM listening to site 102. It's the only site I get from home for this system.

Dewey

troymail

Silent Key
Looks like you've pretty much answered your own questions, but YES, I AM listening to site 102. It's the only site I get from home for this system.

Dewey

yea, I talk to myself way more than I should (but I don't answer myself also so that good I guess) -- but figure if I let others know what I'm saying to myself it might help answer some questions for others at the same time :lol:

ResQguy

Meh
Perhaps has already been confirmed but Ch2 is coming up mostly as TDMA - I think I've seen it occasionally (I assume based on units using the system) on FDMA.

Yeah, there has been a change in the idle status to DDM. Someone has to be affiliated with an FDMA radio on those as well. On the bright side, the VHF has PL!

troymail

Silent Key
Drove around the Bowie area trying to listen to the apparently few fire talkgroups that are "Active" (Ch 1/TG 1133, Ch 2/TG 1135, etc.).... On the drive TG 1135 (8A2) stopped again - like someone either pulled the plug or the activity went away from some other reason.

Driving northeast a bit from Bowie into Crofton, the system nearly fades away again...

I sure hope they boost the power on this system...

Status
Not open for further replies.