What's going on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstreny

Hi, I'm the newbie here. I have a question. I have a used RadioShack pro-79.
I took it radioshack they programmed it. it was fine..
after I left the store the volume went down.
I notice they used a program on their PC to program it.
One minute it was loud and clear
and the next minute the volume is low.I turned it all the way up. still nothing.
Have any Idea what they used? Or what could be wrong with my scanner?

captclint

Mentor
Do you mean you heard several conversations of agencies you recognized at normal volume?
Well, it could just be location. Were you still near the store when you feel you stopped hearing things?

I notice they used a program on their PC to program it. One minute it was loud and clear and the next minute the volume is low.
I don't know of any program feature that could affect volume on all channels. It may just be you are not as close to the action as you were in the store. The other possibility is that you have your squelch set too high. Turn it all the way clockwise until you hear static, and then counter clockwise (or visa versa) until the static just barely stops. However, you should take the radio back if you don't hear ANYTHING in a day or so.

Last edited:

SAR923

I'm assuming you mean the Pro-97. If it was programmed with ScanCat Lite at the store, that's probably the problem. It causes all kinds of weird behavior in RS scanners. I would get an RS USB cable and a copy of WIN97. You'll find references to both in the receiver Wiki. Buy a premium subscription here and you can download all your local frequencies in minutes and your scanner will work correctly. I know it's more money to spend but, believe me, it's more than worth it in the end.

mstreny

Rs Usb?

Thanks for the info..I have no clue what is a RS USB Cable nor what do it look like...And where do I plug it in on the scanner. Sorry I am totally scanner illiterate.

Big_Ears

Maybe the ATT (receive attenuation feature) has been accidently turned on, for all channels. Or you may have a bad connection on your "antenna to circuit board" path. You should probably loop back with the Radio Shack that initially programmed your scanner, in order to confirm that it is still operating.

mciupa

Database Admin
I notice they used a program on their PC to program it.
One minute it was loud and clear
and the next minute the volume is low.I turned it all the way up. still nothing.
Have any Idea what they used? Or what could be wrong with my scanner?

Hi mstreny, welcome to RadioReference. :)

Being that the Pro 79 was manufactured in the '90's and it is used, the radio may be on its way out. Check the speaker connection if you are comfortable opening up the radio.
Just to be sure this is a 200 channel scanner that scans up to 512 MHz , right?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved to the RadioShack forum. mstreny, before posting a thread please remember to make note of posts Stickied to the top of the forums which are there to help you on what to post where. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.