What's good to listen to during the hurricane? state/mema/local?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squelchtone

Hi,

In preparation for the "storm of the century" (rolls eyes) I was wondering what everyone is listening to this weekend.

I know the db is just a button click away, but what's the primary MEMA freq we should all put in a "statewide emergency" bank in our scanners? Which State trunk or single freq is good to have, Are there any good HAM radio repeater nets who can offer "local on the ground" reports in real time?

Are there any non encrypted federal freqs that would be good to program here in MA? FEMA? National Guard?

Thanks for your opinions and any good useful freqs you can offer,
Squelchtone
hunkered down in Waltham, with family hunkered down in Wilbraham.

Squelchtone

yeah, really..

Just go to the online feeds and pick the #1 feed and listen. I believe it is "Hurricane Watch Net".

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't being very clear with what I'm trying to do.. When the power and internet go out in about 12 hours, I'd like to know what to program into my battery powered scanner so I can tune in while we are without power or internet access.

As for online feeds, yeah normally an awesome idea, but not when storm is coming right at me.. heh, you must also be on a very stable grid. A squirrel climbs a pole around here and half the town is out for 4 hours, I can't wait to see what a hurricane will do.

Squelchtone

DontTreadOnMe

I'll be monitoring all Fire Depts in my general area, The town Police and also the county control dispatch frequency, county mutual aid freq and the sheriff dept dispatch. I believe you can't go wrong with all those County control and County Sheriff dispatch freqs are probably most important if you don't have all the fire or police freq in your scanner because if theres a major incident you will find out from the county.

Squelchtone

The RRDB has good info, but I will suggest a visit to the Scan New England website for extensive info for MA and surrounding areas.

Scan New England - SNE News Articles

heh, nobody seems to understand me today..

I'm just looking for a short list of 5 to 10 freqs for the major State agencies or police departments who would be involved on a high level when something big happens in the state.

I probably should have just asked for the main state wide repeater freqs for MEMA, but then again I could have looked that up, and programmed them in, not really knowing if they actually use them these days or if it all happens across the State Police trunk, hence why I'm asking you guys for freqs, not just a link to another huge DB listing all the cities and towns in new england.

why does it feel like I'm pulling teeth, this wasn't a hard question.. /rant
:/
Squelchtone

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
heh, nobody seems to understand me today..

I'm just looking for a short list of 5 to 10 freqs for the major State agencies or police departments who would be involved on a high level when something big happens in the state.

I probably should have just asked for the main state wide repeater freqs for MEMA, but then again I could have looked that up, and programmed them in, not really knowing if they actually use them these days or if it all happens across the State Police trunk, hence why I'm asking you guys for freqs, not just a link to another huge DB listing all the cities and towns in new england.

why does it feel like I'm pulling teeth, this wasn't a hard question.. /rant
:/
Squelchtone

IF you had visited the page I spoke of, you would have also noted a thread in the forums section that has and IS dealing extensively with local frequencies being used for storm operations, but again, maybe that was too much work? People gave you advice and help on where to look. It's up to YOU to determine what you want to take away from that information. Sorry we couldn't have been of more assistance to you.

Squelchtone

IF you had visited the page I spoke of, you would have also noted a thread in the forums section that has and IS dealing extensively with local frequencies being used for storm operations, but again, maybe that was too much work? People gave you advice and help on where to look. It's up to YOU to determine what you want to take away from that information. Sorry we couldn't have been of more assistance to you.

Please don't make it seem like I'm a n00b coming here asking for people to do all the work for me. I'm a moderator on another forum and I hate lazy n00bs just as much as you guys do. I just figured someone here could just throw me a bone since the storm was coming and say here's x y and z, program them in and you'll be ready for the storm.

I hope to contribute some more to this forum and the RR db, and I'll go dig around the area you mentioned that has storm operations listed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but lets keep this friendly, no need for grumpy answers, this isnt an old fogey ham radio rag chewer forum is it? =)

Squelchtone

Eastie

Please don't make it seem like I'm a n00b coming here asking for people to do all the work for me. I'm a moderator on another forum and I hate lazy n00bs just as much as you guys do. I just figured someone here could just throw me a bone since the storm was coming and say here's x y and z, program them in and you'll be ready for the storm.

I hope to contribute some more to this forum and the RR db, and I'll go dig around the area you mentioned that has storm operations listed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but lets keep this friendly, no need for grumpy answers, this isnt an old fogey ham radio rag chewer forum is it? =)

Squelchtone

I'm a "n00b"... There should be no HATE on these forums.. You should apologize or a Moderator should give you a warning...

Here's an excerpt from the http://forums.radioreference.com/fo...0729-rules-guidelines-forum-post-content.html

"Continued hate speech will get you - quickly - removed from this site. We support free speech here but not when it demeans another member. This is a private forum; we determine your rights."

That's what you're doing to us "n00bs".

Squelchtone

I'm a "n00b"... There should be no HATE on these forums.. You should apologize or a Moderator should give you a warning...

Here's an excerpt from the http://forums.radioreference.com/fo...0729-rules-guidelines-forum-post-content.html

"Continued hate speech will get you - quickly - removed from this site. We support free speech here but not when it demeans another member. This is a private forum; we determine your rights."

That's what you're doing to us "n00bs".

Oh my god man, are you serious? I'm the one getting smart *** answers from everyone and you're saying I'm hating on the noobs? sigh.. you guys seem to take yourselves way too seriously here. and you joined in May 2010, you're not a noob. When I said I hate lazy n00bs its not like I said I hate blacks or polacks or gays, you're way off course buddy. and I said I hate lazy n00bs, not n00bs.. you know what, why am I even explaining myself here? if you're not gonna help THIS n00b with my original question, please don't hijack the thread and turn it into something else.

Thanks,
Squelchtone

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
hunkered down in Waltham

heh, you must also be on a very stable grid. A squirrel climbs a pole around here and half the town is out for 4 hours, I can't wait to see what a hurricane will do

Do you lose power often? I've lived in Waltham for a little over 2 years now and I have never lost power for more than a few minutes. I thought it would go out today for sure, but it never even flickered.

Squelchtone

Do you lose power often? I've lived in Waltham for a little over 2 years now and I have never lost power for more than a few minutes. I thought it would go out today for sure, but it never even flickered.

Wilbraham is where my family lives, that town along with Ludlow have problems every time there's a stiff breeze. I guess the tornadoes this summer didnt help when power was out for 3 days straight, but as far as Waltham goes, I had a blip for 2 seconds earlier today, enough to reboot my computer and reset the microwave clock back to 12:00. Today was obviously extraordinary compared to normal New England weather, so like you said, Waltham power seems rock solid on any other day of the year.

Have a good evening,
Squelchtone

Status
Not open for further replies.