Whats good to listen to in mouse town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaticLine

Like thosands of others the famdambly and I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks to your lovely state.Due to a messed up foot, looks like my plans will be limited to poolside and lots of down time in our room while the teenagers and wife go out to pilage.Much to the little darlings dismay that cripples and their famils get good spots in the lines.My plan is to pack up my 2096 and hear a liitle action.I saw Orlando has gone encripted.Any ideas???And yes this is my first post here on RR.Great site!Ihave checked out the data base but figured you guys could help me narrow down the choices. TIA,John

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
Im pretty sure orange county still has alot to offer. When I went i couldnt monitor orlando, but still caught alot of the action on the OC trunked system. There is also all the conv. frequencys for EMS if you are in to that...

StaticLine

Thanks for the idea sjc.If your ever in the Louisville area for the Derby,I'll try and find you some good info.must not be much to listen to since you are the only reply.Thanks again.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Orange County SO should provide near non-stop listening entertainment - with virtually all of it in the clear. If you're staying near Disney, SO Sectors 5 and 6 are the tourist areas.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Reedy Creek Fire Department

I listened to this department the entire time we were at Disneyworld http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1413 using my PRO-96 with a Bluetooth adapter and headset. Reedy Creek handles the entire resort and parks, as well as some surrounding areas. You will not be bored. Your PRO 2096 will be able to receive the digtal transmissions, as they are not encrypted. Enjoy your vacation, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

StaticLine

Thanks guys.We'll be leaving the 17th.If your close shoot me an e-mail or pm and we'll hook up so I can buy you a round!!Thanks again,John.

Patch42

City of Orlando PD has not yet gone encrypted. They seem to be testing the new system now, simulcasting a few things and testing out the encryption. Some is encrypted, some isn't. If what I'm hearing is similar to what they're getting on their radios (disregarding encrypted traffic here), they'll be testing for some time yet. Most of it sounds horrible.

Orange County Sheriff's Office generally has more action than Orlando PD. OCSO covers a much larger area. Sector 4 is where most of the heavy stuff happens. As was mentioned by someone else, sector 5 and 6 cover the Disney area.

Reedy Creek is the FD/EMS system for the Disney area. You'll hear about all the bumps and scrapes that require EMS.

If you're staying at one of the larger hotels, they will probably have a radio system. Listening in on that can be entertaining. Most of the traffic is mundane ("Mini-bar light in 1927 needs to be changed."), but some of it is interesting and sometimes rather funny.

Theme park operations at Disney are all on Nextel, but Sea World and Universal both have analog trunking systems. Universal's system is very localized. You need to practically be on the property to pick up much of anything. Sea World carries a bit further.

Depending on how far out you want to roam, Osceola, Lake, and Polk counties are all pretty close by. You might want to program them in advance just in case you get bored with Orange county.

Oh, I should probably add that it's technically illegal to even carry a scanner in a car in Florida. Stupid law that you're unlikely to run afoul of, but it is on the books.

Last edited:

StaticLine

Thank you patch!The radio will be packed in the luggage till we get there.we'll be flying.I hope when I open the suitcase its still there and in one piece.Thats what I was wondering about the encryption.Thats a real shame for the natives.I'm afraid the idea will catch on in other citys due to all the homeland def funds out there.Here in Ky our laws are pretty much the same for scanners in autos.Once I had my hh with me and was bored.I wound up spotting a drunk driver the local PD was on the look out for.I called in the location on the cell phone then wondered if they might call me and ask if I had a scanner.I leave it at home now unless threat of bad weather.I bet they would nail me to the wall if I got caught.A crook would just plead off to a lesser offence.Same way with gun laws.Thanks again!John

Ten42

Just left Orange County

Just left the Orange County area, and agree the OCSO is very interesting monitoring. I used the information from the database and it was all very up-to-date. Make sure and copy the ten codes and signals from the database to take along. The OCSO patrol unit numbers, as explained by a deputy there, first digit indicates the shift; 1-1st Shift, 2=2nd shift, 3=3rd shift; second digit is the sector, one thru six which their web page shows the sectors; third digit is the beat inside that sector. So unit 146 would be a first shift deputy in sector 4 working beat 6.
The Orange County Fire-Rescue web page, it is very interesting also. There is a live scanner online at the Orange County Professional Firefighters webpage, not sure if there are any for OCSO or not.
I was at Marriott Horizons in a first floor villa just off Westwood Boulevard and could hear Orange and Osceola systems with a back-of-the-set antenna, which also did well searching. Again I was at ground level on the first floor.
I cannot reinterate enough, program EVERY talkgroup for the sheriffs office. They switch often. I scanned the sector 4 and 5/6 patrol talkgroups mostly along with fire-rescue tac 1-dispatch.
Enjoy your vacation, I did, my third trip down in as many years. ALOT of vehicle traffic, patience is/will be required.

David Hartman

Orange County Sheriffs Office:
www.ocso.com/agency/uniformpatroldivisions
Orange County Fire & Rescue
www.ocfrd.com
Orange County Professional Firefighters
www.iaff2056.com (click OC radio in the left menu)

Patch42

davidhartmn said:
I was at Marriott Horizons in a first floor villa just off Westwood Boulevard and could hear Orange and Osceola systems with a back-of-the-set antenna, which also did well searching. Again I was at ground level on the first floor.
You have to keep in mind that Florida is flat. REALLY flat. You could cover it with felt and you'd have a giant pool table. Altitude obviously buys you distance, but it's a bit less important here with no geographical features in the way.

Enjoy your vacation, I did, my third trip down in as many years. ALOT of vehicle traffic, patience is/will be required.
I could go on for hours about the traffic here in Orlando.

Drive defensively. There are many drivers here who learned to drive in places where road signs and lines on the street are just suggestions, not things to be followed without question. Driving on the shoulder at 40MPH when traffic on the main road is at a stop is quite common.

If you're trying to make a right turn and are waiting for an actual break in traffic to go, it's almost a sure thing that someone will pull to your left and make a right turn around you because you're taking too long.

Be prepared for your lane to exit in a direction you don't want to go or to simply end, all with no warning whatsoever.

Avoid US 192 like the plague. It's nothing but touristy places and the road is filled with tourists who have no clue where they're going. It's particularly bad between Kissimmee and I-4. I recall one Saturday evening before I knew better when it took me about 90 minutes to go the ten miles from downtown Kissimmee to the I-4. West of I-4 it's not quite so bad.

If you're staying near Westwood Blvd, there's a shortcut through the Convention Center that will shave at least five minutes off your trip if you're headed to International (I-Drive) or Universal Blvd. Just west of the Extended Stay is a traffic light and a bridge over the Beach Line (tollway) into the Convention Center. Take the bridge, follow the road past the Convention Center, make a right at the stop sign. You'll come out on International having missed about 8 traffic lights and a zillion conventioneers. Make a left at International and you'll be heading toward all the tourist spots. If you're looking for Universal Blvd, make your left into the far right lane on International and take the immediate right turn. When the road tees, make a left. You're on Universal and have missed another dozen traffic lights and a zillion tourists.

If you're looking for a very nice, yet healthy meal in elegant surroundings, I highly recommend Seasons 52 on Dr. Phillips and Sand Lake. If you dine before sunset you'll have a nice view of the lake. Try the flat bread pizza as an appetizer. Jeans and sneakers are okay. They often have open tables even when you couldn't get a reservation. They also serve the full menu in the booths in the bar, which are always first come, first served.

If you're looking for an upscale steak dining experience, check out the Capital Grille in Pointe Orlando (right after the turn onto International in the shortcut I described above). While they won't kick you out for wearing jeans, you'll blend in better if you dress up just a bit. Let's just say if you wear black, they'll bring you a black napkin instead of the normal white one so you don't get white lint all over your black clothes. You can judge the rest from there. Great aged steaks, plus the usual fish and other items. Everything is ala carte, but the sides are huge. One potato side and one vegetable side will easily serve two. Check out the celebrity wine lockers near the entrance.

The big meat eaters will want to try Texas de Brazil on International. This is a Brazilian steak place where they keep bringing around skewers of different meats and sausages until you plead for mercy. They also have one of the most amazing "salad" bars I've ever seen. Not cheap, but if you don't walk out stuffed to the gills you weren't trying.

One nice thing about Orlando is the abundance of very good restaurants. If you enjoy eating out, you'll have some great opportunities here.

Sorry about deviating so far from radio. PM me if you'd like other restaurant recommendations. My sister-in-law is in hospitality here and knows just about every place in town.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I should probably add that it's technically illegal to even carry a scanner in a car in Florida. Stupid law that you're unlikely to run afoul of, but it is on the books.

Unless you have a ham license...then you're exempt from the scanner law.

Larry, N2HBX

gcr33

It's a similar law that many other states have. Don't worry about prosecution unless you do something stupid. Don't shove the radio in a law enforcement officers face ie: turning it up as you pass him so he can hear it. Don't show up at scenes with the radio blasting away.

dlbeaver

"Patch42" you should open up your own vacation planning website with all that knowledge of information! my wife has been in the restuarant business all her life thats a good 30 years, she has seen them come and go! I find her choice of eating out always exciting and very good. anyway back to radio, it is best not to flash your scanner around because that is just provoking them, I am a licensed Ham and I still wouldn't flaunt my scanner in their faces at any crime scene or investigation period. We again fall on the common sense rule of thumb. Sounds like enough crazy guys are already giving us all a bad rap sheet! we don't need anymore bad press.

William
KE4BMJ

Status
Not open for further replies.