whats happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepingiant

Premium Subscriber
i have a gre psr 500 scanner and had all the conventional frequencies and the bell fleet zone 4 programmed in. i was getting all the district o.p.p. conservation, m.o.h highways etc. over the past few days i have noticed nothing on the bell fleetnet. no o.p.p. no nobody. i have checked the radioreferrence site and using the gre software re-downloaded everything again. i have even rebooted the scanner as if it was new and started over again and still nothing. have they moved or changed frequency and if not does anyone no what could be wrong

DaveH

Which site(s) were you receiving?

First thing I see in Zone 4 is a lot of missing info. Half the sites don't list a CC.
The rest don't list an alternate CC. If your site switched to one of these, your
scanner doesn't know where to look, and you are stuck unless:

(1) You can go find the CC and program it in.
(2) Somebody else does (1).

You may be waiting a long time for (2).

Do you know what a Fleetnet CC sounds like?

Dave

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
To follow up on what Dave suggested, trying doing a custom search between 140 and say 145 mhz. At some point the scanner should stop (hopefully) on an active control channel (will sound like a repetitive grinding noise). Make note of this frequency, then check to see if you have it programmed in your Fleetnet system.

Oh... also... do you hear *any* other traffic? If not, perhaps it's a radio issue. I always make sure I can still hear a weather channel or another known active frequency to make sure it's not a radio/antenna issue.

uncleblackie

Also check SIM 11 (148.765) and provincial common (142.770).

It's possible that either your local tower or all of fleetnet that is controlled by Zone 4's comm centre may be down for maintenance.

I agree though that info on zone 4 is a bit lacking, and they could just be using an alternate CC or a new one all together.

mciupa

I have removed the "empty" sites from the database as only confirmed data should reside there.

I have added these sites to the Zone 4 wiki page and have also asked the membership to help us populate the database so that these sites may return.

I hope this will help the person avoid any downloading problems. :)

DaveH

I have removed the "empty" sites from the database as only confirmed data should reside there.

I have added these sites to the Zone 4 wiki page and have also asked the membership to help us populate the database so that these sites may return.

I hope this will help the person avoid any downloading problems. :)

...except that the site numbers and to some degree their locations could have come
from adjacent-site data and therefore "confirmed" as well as can be expected; except
that you would also expect to get the active CC; unless someone just collected channel
numbers and didn't/couldn't translate into actual frequencies.

I think removing was an error and they should be added back.

Dave

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm pretty sure the data probably came from an "official" source which had site locations and numbers only.

Such a document also existed for Zone 3.

If the information was derived from neighbour lists, there should be control channel frequencies as well.

Since these weren't listed, I wouldn't consider the data as confirmed.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure the data probably came from an "official" source which had site locations and numbers only.

Such a document also existed for Zone 3.

If the information was derived from neighbour lists, there should be control channel frequencies as well.

Since these weren't listed, I wouldn't consider the data as confirmed.

Hmm. I thought it was Andy and Mike I who spent the time and the effort to find the sites.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Most all of the Zone 3 sites were located by Andy and myself a few years ago. A number of them weren't verified physically, however control channel frequencies, site names and site numbers were obtained by neighbour lists.

Andrew also went and located a number of sites for Zone 4. While the sites aren't listed as Fleetnet sites in TAFL, there is a tell-tale microwave license with specific parameters which give them away as Fleetnet sites.

slicerwizard

I think removing was an error and they should be added back.
I would agree. There have been some strange decisions made lately in the Ontario section of the RR database.

Hmm. I thought it was Andy and Mike I who spent the time and the effort to find the sites.
We found about a dozen zone 3 sites, IIRC. And in a strange cowinkydink, when our data was submitted, names and numbers for all of the remaining zone 3 sites were also added to the DB.

Andrew also went and located a number of sites for Zone 4. While the sites aren't listed as Fleetnet sites in TAFL, there is a tell-tale microwave license with specific parameters which give them away as Fleetnet sites.
Hey, it was *most* of the zone 4 sites. :)

And I'm pretty sure many of them didn't even have any Fleetnet gear installed at the time the map was created.

Speaking of maps, the links in the wiki entries point at my old JPEG maps; they're PNGs now, so would someone be so kind as to update them?

BTW, that zone 4 site "102 Near the Jct going to Caramat 142.83000c"? I'd call it Site #8 - Longlac:

http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/Near Caramat Jct.PNG

sleepingiant

Premium Subscriber
what happened

thanks to all. my conventional channel's are ok so its not the scanner
i have done a reset to default on the scanner and then entered fleetnet zone 4 frequencies that i had saved last year when i was getting everything but the same thing nothing is coming through. if i recall the problem may have started when i downloaded the thunder bay police edacs frequencies but not 100 percent sure.
anyway i am still trying to figure this out.
can you load the dec or hex numbers into the unit( manual is not clear on that) instead of using the direct import from rr on the arc software

mciupa

Speaking of maps, the links in the wiki entries point at my old JPEG maps; they're PNGs now, so would someone be so kind as to update them?

BTW, that zone 4 site "102 Near the Jct going to Caramat 142.83000c"? I'd call it Site #8 - Longlac:

I have added the Zone 4 map and added site 8 for now.

EDIT: Links to Fleetnet maps for all zones fixed in Wiki :)

Last edited:

Northerner71

i have a gre psr 500 scanner and had all the conventional frequencies and the bell fleet zone 4 programmed in. i was getting all the district o.p.p. conservation, m.o.h highways etc. over the past few days i have noticed nothing on the bell fleetnet. no o.p.p. no nobody. i have checked the radioreferrence site and using the gre software re-downloaded everything again. i have even rebooted the scanner as if it was new and started over again and still nothing. have they moved or changed frequency and if not does anyone no what could be wrong

I was just in Thunder Bay on Thursday and I had my 500 with me and I was receiving everything from Thunder Bay with no probs. I was picking up 4OPS21 and 4OPS25. It was very helpful to because there was a big storm in Nipigon. I do not know what to say, I hope this is helpful letting you know that Fleetnet is working.

DaveH

thanks to all. my conventional channel's are ok so its not the scanner
i have done a reset to default on the scanner and then entered fleetnet zone 4 frequencies that i had saved last year when i was getting everything but the same thing nothing is coming through. if i recall the problem may have started when i downloaded the thunder bay police edacs frequencies but not 100 percent sure.
anyway i am still trying to figure this out.
can you load the dec or hex numbers into the unit( manual is not clear on that) instead of using the direct import from rr on the arc software

You still haven't told us whether you are receiving the control channel on the frequency it's
supposed to be on. Until you do that, any other speculation or action is likely to be wasted
effort. Go to the TUNE function, enter the CC frequency, and see what's there. If it's not,
somebody needs to find where it's gone to.

As for Thunder Bay Police on the EDACS system, you can forget that, being Provoice
which can't be decoded by any scanner.

Dave

sleepingiant

Premium Subscriber
thanks for everyone's help
bad bnc connector
conventional frequencies were ok but found if i pushed down on the antenna a bit the t for trucking came on and low and behold i was getting everything again
had to put my amateur ht rubber ducky on as it has a longer tip and is tighter going on
so now have to figure out if i should change it or what

Status
Not open for further replies.