what's left in St. Louis conventional frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
i've been waging the reception war with SLATER here in Kirkwood, and in that the best solution i've found to my reception issues is to turn my squelch ALL the way down. now i'm only listening to trunked on my two main boxes... and i started to wonder, what's left in the conventional frequencies?

why? i still have an amateur rig and two older (non-trunking) scanners, and i'm wondering what else i could do with them.

there are some simulcast frequencies in use (but i can get them via their SLATER counterpart), and Kirkwood has their FD Pager still in VHF, but... anyone have suggestions on what would be worth adding to them? short of amateur, maybe some other FD pagers, or even FRS/MURS/GMRS channels, I'm not sure what i should focus on in the huge database of conventional frequencies that are now basically silent.

aircraft? military? trains? ...cordless phones?

suggestions?

teufler

Still get 155.370 pt 2 pt even though slater has it at 55427. I pick up alton pd, 155.635, Arch helo 461.525, alot of hospital back to arch on 462.975, Warren cty 160.170, still get alot of Illinois on FMA 155.475, Arch to Hosp 155.340, 155.200, Arch talks to Fire Grd units on 154.280. You know first we get scanner traffic about an accident, then you start getting disp to Arch, go somewhere, then they gfo to fire ground and start calling for a landing zone. All from ther air so you get good distance. But PS in st louis cty is getting pretty much all p25 trunking.

dpm3

UPRR Jeff City Sub is on 161.220 and pretty active, Desoto Sub is on 161.475 and the Chester Sub on 161.550. BNSF Cuba Sub on 161.160, River Sub is on 161.285 and the Hannibal Sub is 161.415.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
What is SLATER?

Ah..nevermind. lol. I clicked on the main page and found out for myself.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
What is left on conventional freqs? Not a whole lot anymore. One thing you may want to do is some DXing of outlying counties. I remember years ago one of my favorite things to do was see how far out I could hear signals for fire, EMS and sheriff. Some days and especially nights when conditions were right I could hear almost to Jeff City to the west and Springfield to the east. Sometimes Indiana was not out of the question. I guess 700/800 trunking systems to some extent has made our hobby hard. I can't hear squat from St Louis county and I live just two miles inside the city. I feel your pain.

Good luck with your scanning.

PS IMHO MOSWIN is the best trunking system out there.

teufler

I agree, 800 trunking has changed the hobby. I wish there was a way to determine where a car was at, used to be able to tell my the sound, how clear and strong compared to weak and maybe unreadable, Nice to know you had a state car in your vicinity.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Most of our anlog scanners have been repurposed into air band, rail-road,FRS/GMRS,& Ham and a smattering of Mil-air radio. there is still quite a bit of conventional monitoring to be done. I just dedicate a particular scanner for Military, one for air-band, ect.... leaves the digital scanners for the P25 stuff.

HH

Status
Not open for further replies.