• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX What's some APX durability stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
What are some insane stories you guys know of or have seen of the APX surviving some extreme abuse?
Can be any APX model or XE rugged model, just kinda want an idea of how durable these radios are.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Somewhat unrelated, but I've head a story of an XTS model that stopped a nail in a propane explosion and saved a firefighters life.... the nail went through the screen and the radio still worked after.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
APX6000XE dropped over the side of a boat during a high water rescue during a flooding event. Unit was in about 6 feet of water for several hours. Once retrieved it was still powered on and functioning properly.

K2NEC

Somewhat unrelated, but I've head a story of an XTS model that stopped a nail in a propane explosion and saved a firefighters life.... the nail went through the screen and the radio still worked after.
Did you get that from the Motorola video?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Had an APX4000 Model 2 get ran over by a car on a 45 mph road after falling off the front bumper of a heavy rescue. Functioned fine, RSM got ripped off and destroyed, but the radio was only cosmetically damaged. Sent to the dealer and all it got was a new housing.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
This reminds me of a certain picture of fire fighters putting their APX6000's in water filled sinks...

We just got APX6000’s at work with the officers getting tri-band APX8000’s.
When the dealer came to demonstrate the new radios he told a story and named a chief officer of a big city 2 towns north of us that torture tested the APX radios before accepting them. Said Chief submerged radio and speaker mic into a bucket of water for 5 or 6 hours, pulled the radio out and transmitted with no ill effects. He then placed the radio on the driveway and proceeded to drive over it with the fire truck. Again, radio was fine with some minor surface damage to the case.
Needless to say that Dept accepted the radios and proceeded to buy approximately 200 APX’s in a mix of 6000 and 8000

Service9

An APX8000 was lost out on the bay on the ice and snow for 2 days in Iqaluit. When the radio was found, the battery was dead but the unit worked perfectly with a new battery.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
We just got APX6000’s at work with the officers getting tri-band APX8000’s.
When the dealer came to demonstrate the new radios he told a story and named a chief officer of a big city 2 towns north of us that torture tested the APX radios before accepting them. Said Chief submerged radio and speaker mic into a bucket of water for 5 or 6 hours, pulled the radio out and transmitted with no ill effects. He then placed the radio on the driveway and proceeded to drive over it with the fire truck. Again, radio was fine with some minor surface damage to the case.
Needless to say that Dept accepted the radios and proceeded to buy approximately 200 APX’s in a mix of 6000 and 8000
Incredible!! A full size firefighter ladder truck ran this over?? Man I would love to see a video of that

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Incredible!! A full size firefighter ladder truck ran this over?? Man I would love to see a video of that
Yea. Me to. I am just a low man in the totem pole. I mentioned to my Batallion Chief that I would like to see that. He didn’t respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.