What's that noise?

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
Have a Uniden BCD9962P2. All of a sudden been getting a noise on all channels like someone keying a mic. Every once in a while it stops then starts again Have no new app[iances plugged in Any ideas?

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
It's right from the scanner. Only thing hooked to the scanner is a separate Uniden speaker.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Have a Uniden BCD9962P2. All of a sudden been getting a noise on all channels like someone keying a mic. Every once in a while it stops then starts again Have no new app[iances plugged in Any ideas?
Try taking the scanner to a friend's house and listening to it over there (away from possible interference in your house).

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
OK will do tomorrow, but I've never had this problem before and have nothing new electrical.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
OK will do tomorrow, but I've never had this problem before and have nothing new electrical.
I made a recording and the noise stops when I remove the antenna
The fact that the noise stops when you disconnect the antenna suggests that it may be something fairly close to your current location. A trip to a new location may confirm that. It's a good way to track down (or eliminate) possibilities.

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
Damndest thing. Tried it in another room, was fine. Then went back to original room and started unplugging everything. Have a surge protector unplugged everything on it, still no go. Unplugged the surge protector itself, bingo, radio started scanning again. Plugged the surge protector in again, scanner still working. Now gotta figure out what's going on. At least I know where to start. Been driving me nuts past couple of weeks. Thanks all for your help.

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
Damndest thing. Tried it in another room, was fine. Then went back to original room and started unplugging everything. Have a surge protector unplugged everything on it, still no go. Unplugged the surge protector itself, bingo, radio started scanning again. Plugged the surge protector in again, scanner still working. Now gotta figure out what's going on. At least I know where to start. Been driving me nuts past couple of weeks. Thanks all for your help.
Bad capacitor(s) in the surge protector ? Maybe mimicking a small tank oscillator ? (no flames please) just guessing, lol.

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
Is an APC which is supposed to be a good brand. I noticed that one of the guards over where the appliances plug in was missing. Put it back in and everything seems to be working fine now. Any more problems I will have to replaced the whole unit.