Whats that static sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoDave

One early morning, I was listening to the scanner as I lay in bed and discovered what seemed to be a lot of static interference. It sounded like what happens when the contacts on the volume control knob are dirty. So, off I go to RadShack to buy some contact cleaner. (Also known as liquid gold if you have ever seen the price of it) Still didnt seem to help. This static sound also seemed to happen in my car.

Sooooo.... I discovered that my android phone was near the scanner on my nightstand as well as being in the front seat when I was driving, right next to the scanner. When I moved the phone, the noise was gone.

I guess this is rather elementary but I wanted to pass it along in case anyone else starts getting some unexplained scratchiness on their scanner. Move the phone. :)

puzzleriddle

I've had a weird problem with my197.. All of sudden stopped scanning most every thing after 2 months up here.. ( MY psr500 was programmed with the same file & working just great. also sent for repair NOTHING wrong with it... Ihad set up a new PC desk & theback of it had a metal support piece on thr back between the set of legs.. I moved radio to the other end problem solved grrrr had me worried & pulling my hair out for sure.. glad I had to move it reception is lot better at the other end of the desk lol.. but reception is lot better at the other end .. about 3ft from where it was. LOCATION is everything hehe

Last edited:

b5bartender

Sounds like the signals from the phone are being picked up by the RF front end of the scanner.. remember, your cellphone is a transmitter, too! Also, it seems the GRE/Radio Shack scanners are particularly sensitive to front end overload. There's several threads on the topic in the GRE/RS forums.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
If your cell phone is on it is in constant contact with the cell phone tower. Even if you are not talking with the phone. I can hear a on and off pulsing sound every 3 seconds when my phone is close to my scanner or my computer speakers. I have to keep my phone at least 3 feet away to keep the noise down. Save the liquid gold for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.