whats the best base antennae for out in the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

I am in the "country" to a point, about 15miles from town,between Hawkinsville and Perry, and was wondering what antennae would do me good for scanning at the house with my Pro-96. I would prefer it to be around $50 and no more than $70 if possible.

btritch

Yep, I just ordered me one....Thinking about using RG 6 or the other cable I asked about in another thread earlier...I'm really leaning toward it since I already have it, Scantenna is supposed to have a 100 mile range though I'd definately check in on it.

73's

rafale01010

Never mind, i just saw a picture of it. will it just connect to my scanner with no extra stuff needed?

k8mcn

rafale01010 said:
Never mind, i just saw a picture of it. will it just connect to my scanner with no extra stuff needed?
The scantenna usually comes with a 300ohm lead, an adapter that reduces it down to 75ohms, a 50 foot length of coax with f connectors on both ends, and an f to BNC adaptor so you will be ready to just plug it into your scanner and start monitoring. (as long as your scanner accepts a BNC)

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
hoser147 said:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/8/8c/Reinforcescantenna.jpg If you decide to go with the scantenna this link is to beef it up so as not to have wind damage...........Hoser
Why not buy something that is well built in the first place and then you don't have to worry about beefing it up? My experience with the Scantenna is it's not so great as to expend all that extra effort on it.

Dave

Last edited:

Airdorn

I've had a scantenna without any kind of reinforcement mod done to it, for about 4 years now. God that thing is a great antenna.

And we get some pretty terrible winds here.. it hasn't fallen apart YET!

I used the 50' of feedline. Great performer. This weekend, I'm taking out the wire that came with it and putting in LMR-400.

Status
Not open for further replies.