whats the best new digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2mdk

Your going to get lots of different answers to this but after reading everything posted recently I would have to say the best at this point in time are the GRE PSR-500 and 600.

D

DaveNF2G

Why not read what's already posted? If you can't figure out what scanners work on digital, then you won't be able to figure out how to use one, either.

Your going to get lots of different answers to this but after reading everything posted recently I would have to say the best at this point in time are the GRE PSR-500 and 600.

Also do NOT forget the BCD396T and the BCD996T. The BCD996T will also work with GPS devices.

Older DIGITAL models include the Pro-96 and a BCD model whos number escapes me now.

There might also be a little black box that requires a computer but I do NOT think that it will let you trunk P-25 or ANALOG.

It will just let you decode P-25 and ANALOG Conventional. I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
what scanner will work on the new digital stuff?

It will also depend on where in Tejas you are located (if your handle holds true). Most of San Antonio and Bexar County are EDACS Provoice which cannot be decoded by any scanner. If you want to know more on that, do a search. There are several threads and a couple of wiki articles on that topic.

The majority of the DFW area is either analog or digital Motorola (which means you can scan these easily).

Check the DB for your area. EDACS PROVOICE (not plain EDACS) and LTR Passport are not supported on any scanners. The LTR (and there are two or three types of LTR systems) cannot be tracked, but can be heard.

One thing to do, is to learn to use the forum tools. There is really a wealth of info out here already. Much of it (like this thread) have been beaten to death numerous times. So most of the folks here have a pretty short fuse. Besides, picking on newbies is always fun, but then so is picking on a long time poster.

Develop some thick skin. Under the static, there will be answers.

My digital preference is the Uniden 396. The 500 has a few more bells and whistles, but it just cannot do what I want in the manner that I scan. Both are good radios (the 996 and the 600 mentioned are base/mobile scanners. The 396 and 500 are handheld).

SCPD

QRT
It will also depend on where in Tejas you are located (if your handle holds true). Most of San Antonio and Bexar County are EDACS Provoice which cannot be decoded by any scanner. If you want to know more on that, do a search. There are several threads and a couple of wiki articles on that topic.

I could be wrong but it' s ESK edacs & can be tracked with GRE PSR500 .. according 2 to Webmaster Lindsay?:)

This horse has been beaten to death, and turned to glue.

There should be a sticky that highlights the pros and cons of each scanner.

Search:

PSR-500 vs BCD396T

PSR-600 vs BCD996T

Last edited:

lugoffman

Good question you asked !! but in a forum like this one , radio reference you need to watch what you ask here cause , man it is like a total crime , also it is like asking if ford is better than chevy ,honda better than toyota everyone has there own taste of models , now you asked a simple question which one is better , here in radio reference you have alot of fourm police who will correct you on spelling grammer what you post and so forth and so on and may even close your thread out for no reason cause the question has been asked before , they except you to read through all the meteral here and get a quick simple answer which in a case like yours you are new and dont know about the sight and you wanted a quick answer so you posted and this is what you get some one telling you to read up on it , now you would think as many times this question has been asked they would tell you that psr 500 ,600 and uniden digital products are the only ones out there that got the better proformance and it is all about how much money you want to put into one and what you want to monitor now on the other hand I do see there point on somethings read up on it but if you are new and dont know what you are reading up on then you fall back on what you just asked which one is the better radio now this is my advise here find out what you want to monitor write it down and see if you really need a five hundred dollar scanner you may not need one and if you dont i got a digital scanner i will sell ya and sorry if i sounded harsh toward you i dont mean nothing toward you it is just the way some people respond to you

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I could be wrong but it' s ESK edacs & can be tracked with GRE PSR500 .. according 2 to Webmaster Lindsay?:)

I will stand partially corrected on this. ESK EDACS and Provoice may be tracked, but the Provoice cannot be monitored nor can the digital portion of ESK (read that as audio that can be understood). So it is hit or miss. If the system is digital, then ESK cannot be monitored.

SCPD

QRT
I will stand partially corrected on this. ESK EDACS and Provoice may be tracked, but the Provoice cannot be monitored nor can the digital portion of ESK (read that as audio that can be understood). So it is hit or miss. If the system is digital, then ESK cannot be monitored.

Thanks Lynn, you are one of the VERY FEW TOP NOTCH people on here that can be trusted & will actually admit when they are not right
Keep up the great,correct & most of all down to earth & impartial advice
Paul

texscan0985

thank you all for your input butt i,am allso woundering will thay come up with one that will run on $700 mhz the new thay are trying to come up to

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PSR-500 and 600, as well as Uniden's BCD396 and 996 will all do 700 Mhz trunking 73 Mike

n2mdk

I may be wrong but the box on the 164 says it will do 700 mhz trunking i may be reading it wrong can some one clarify this for me

The 164 has 700MHz ability but it is useless, at least in the US it is. Everything in the 700MHz band has to be digital here.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
AlabamaRS said:

Works great for all analog Talk-Groups on the Denver Public Safety & Lakewood Colorado EDACS ESK systems. So yes PSR-500/600 adapt to ESK'd EDACS control channels.

btritch

I'd say GRE PSR 500 for handheld/mobile and GRE PSR 600 for Base/Mobile, They're about the best I've heard on the market for everything including 700 MHZ, and if you need assistance, They're tech support is top notch! I just used it today!

Status
Not open for further replies.