What's The Best Portable Scanner For Montgomery County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRyno

Hello all, Its been awhile since ive posted, but my wife finally gave me the go ahead to purchase a new scanner. My previous was the the Radio Shack Pro-96. Of course I know I will need a Digital scanner for Montgomery County, TX. My real question is. Has anyone else had issues with poor reception in Montgomery county and if so, do you think the Pro-106 would be a better scanner or does anyone know of a better toy around the same price range? Thanks in advance...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Gre psr 500

If you are considering a Pro-106, remember, it does not come with as many accesories as the GRE PSR 500. I prefer GRE service to Radio Shack since they have always come through, particularly when I was first learning to operate it.

In Montgomery County, you are surrounded by great digital scanning with limited encryption, a great combination. Besides, DPS is pretty active.

I have used my PSR 500 to listen to TxWarn P25 traffic. When I used to travel to Huntsville, I would sometimes pick up TxWarn Digital from Buffalo, Texas where I entered IH45 south.

Remember, the Radio Shack 800 mhz antenna works great in that area as well.

SRyno

Thanks Ensnared.. Am checking them out in just a sec... With the pro-96 I had good reception in Huntsville or Walker county with the digital signal.. Just not so lucky with Montgomery county where I reside.. Thanks for the info.. Steve

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
With Montgomery Co. you are fighting the digital/simulcast multi-path issue. The 96 is a good scanner and if you can mange to figure out how to only "hear" one tower of the simulcast there in Montgomery Co. it will continue to serve you well since they are only using 800 MHz frequencies. Try using a "bad" antenna and/or add in the 20 db attenuation available on the radio to help block the multi-path problem and the results will surprise you. That said, the 96 will not work if they (or you) add in 700 MHz frequencies into the lineup, since it can't trunk track in that part of the spectrum. Where I am, I have relegated my 96 to mostly DPS monitoring.

As for a new scanner, you need to consider that the TxWARN P25 system does use some Phase 2 P25 and as of this time none of the scanners (including the PSR800) seem to be able to handle it, although GRE is working on a firmware solution that issue since it can handle X2 TDMA right now. But, it is the only scanner out there capable of it today. I will echo Ensnared's opinion though, if you are going to go with a GRE built scanner, buy the GRE model as opposed to the RS branded model. They are different in most cases and GRE is much quicker with the firmware updates and you get more accessories with the GRE out of the box.

SRyno

Not sure if its allowed.. But does anyone know of a good establishment to purchase the GRE locally. and accessories? If that is not a question that is allowed to be posted I apologize..

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Reputable Dealer

Not sure if its allowed.. But does anyone know of a good establishment to purchase the GRE locally. and accessories? If that is not a question that is allowed to be posted I apologize..

Speaking from experience, find a factory authorized company to purchase the radio. These are the ones listed on the GRE home page: GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps.

I have had very good luck with Grove Enterprises, Scanner Masters & Scanner World since I have purchased merchandise from them.

Please, exercise caution if you find yourself tempted with lower prices from a lesser known retailer. I was foolish enough to buy my GRE PSR 500 through a company that sold Fender guitars, Harley Davidson parts, and scanners. Initially, I ended up with a Canadian model.

So, if you stick with GRE's recommended list, you should be fine. If you want the personal touch, the River Oaks Car Stereo store in Houston , Texas is highly recommended. This business is very reputable & knowledgeable about scanners, particularly for the Houston metroplex. However, I don't know how competitive they are regarding price.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.