What's the best "prepper" emergency radio??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSprepper

UHF is unforgivingly line of sight. VHF is too, though slightly less so. CB will refract over hilltops and penetrate vegetation far better than either, at the cost of needing physically large antennas for decent performance. CB does not work well in a HT form factor for this reason.

On a vehicle, the undisputed champion of performance is a 1/4-wave whip mounted on the center of the roof, but a 2.5-meter whip on top of the vehicle is problematic if you use parking garages on a regular basis. A Wilson 1000 is a reasonable compromise; it's shorter, but does not perform as well. For a CB base station, you want a 5/8-wave ground plane antenna. They are a little over 5 meters tall, but you can talk 40-50 KM when the skip is quiet if you install it on a tall mast and tune it correctly.

The best vehicle antenna mount is a permanent NMO or UHF in the center of the roof (assuming the roof is metal). You need to drop the headliner to drill the hole and route the coax. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, have someone do it for you.

I think I should have started a new thread for the antenna mounting question, sorry about that! My brain injury organization issue shining through.

I used to have a k40 antenna on my old vehicle, and was constantly knocking it off when I drove under something low, it drove me nuts after awhile.

I've been looking around for mounting brackets for a 2016 Dodge journey, but I don't think they exist.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Bumper and trunk mounts aren't that great. You'll always have higher SWR and a directional pattern to antenna performance.

NSprepper

I just don't want a mag-mount scratching and ruining my nice new pain on my vehicle, been there done that before.

Also, how to run the coax from inside to outside without messing up a rubber seal on a door or hatch, leaks aren't fun.

There must be a way.............

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a lot less scary than you think. The antenna will work far better, and you're not going to make the vehicle any less ugly than a bumper or trunk mount. And it's far less likely to leak (if properly installed) than running coax through a door where it's squashing the door seal and crushing the coax.

NSprepper

Putting a hole in a leased vehicle is not an option.
If it was my old beater, no problem, just not this one.

Anyhow, I still cannot decide what to do yet, this is all great info, sonthanks everyone!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's one of several reasons you should never lease a vehicle. It's also always more expensive than buying, when you factor in how much you pay vs how long you get to keep the vehicle.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No matter what mounting option you choose, you'll have to mar some paint to get a good electrical connection between the antenna and car body, unless you go with a glass mount antenna, which is crap for CB.

NSprepper

No matter what mounting option you choose, you'll have to mar some paint to get a good electrical connection between the antenna and car body, unless you go with a glass mount antenna, which is crap for CB.

I don't care about marring paint that's under the hood or not on the outside of the vehicle, I know you gotta ground it somewhere, lol.

So, sorry I got off track about the mounting hardware, back to my previous SW radio question, what is a decent choice for a shortwave radio?

Should I pick up a vintage 80's radio, or, go with a new more modern one??

I'm just one of those people that like to have a knob to turn, rather than fart around with up down digital buttons, there's nothing like a pretty air capacitor.

Guess I'm old school.
:)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
That's one of several reasons you should never lease a vehicle. It's also always more expensive than buying, when you factor in how much you pay vs how long you get to keep the vehicle.

Actually a good amount of lease contracts will allow for through hole mounts to a degree (usually limited to 1 or 2).

Leasing has its pluses and minuses. Commercial leasing is definitely worthwhile (especially with the prices of modern pickups) considering they are often unlimited mileage plus tax write-offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Should I pick up a vintage 80's radio, or, go with a new more modern one??

I'm just one of those people that like to have a knob to turn, rather than fart around with up down digital buttons, there's nothing like a pretty air capacitor.

Guess I'm old school.

No, not old school, most of us prefer a knob to tune.

Without going overboard, you can usually get a decent shortwave radio for a few hundred dollars, often quite less. The trick to short wave radio is that it's really about the antenna. You can have a $5000 radio and if you use a crappy antenna, it's not going to work well. If you have a $200 radio and put up a proper antenna, it's going to work much better.

I'm using an old Sangean radio from the late 80's and it works very well. Individual tastes will vary, but if you shop around you'll get some good ideas. Pay attention to customer reviews, ask for advice, etc. But, whatever you choose, understand that it's not going to be any good unless you get some wire strung up outside your home.

NSprepper

No, not old school, most of us prefer a knob to tune.

Without going overboard, you can usually get a decent shortwave radio for a few hundred dollars, often quite less. The trick to short wave radio is that it's really about the antenna. You can have a $5000 radio and if you use a crappy antenna, it's not going to work well. If you have a $200 radio and put up a proper antenna, it's going to work much better.

I'm using an old Sangean radio from the late 80's and it works very well. Individual tastes will vary, but if you shop around you'll get some good ideas. Pay attention to customer reviews, ask for advice, etc. But, whatever you choose, understand that it's not going to be any good unless you get some wire strung up outside your home.

Thanks again for your sound advice :)

I have to say, as you tell me these things, I realize I already know these things, I just never remembered them, which is why I really appreciate the refresher, lol.

I guess I could rig up a nice little long wire dipole setup here if I had to, the doves in the backyard would probably appreciate a new perch anyhow, hehe.

There are SO many factors involved in prepping, it's hard to know every scenario and be able to plan for it. Bugging out, or bugging in is a huge consideration.

I've decided the thing to do for now is choose a shortwave rig, and get a decent mobile CB setup in my vehicle.

After I sell off a few things, maybe I can afford a nice scanner, but that won't be for awhile.

I've got a couple eton crank radios with SW feature, but they are just dead air, they only seem to receive FM radio and the NOAA broadcast, I don't think that dinky little telescopic antenna is enough to pull in any signals, unless it's being broadcast from the house nextdoor.

That's why I was asking what SW radio you might recommend, since the ones I have are kinda useless little things. The built in flashlight is a more useful feature :)

Darkstar350

For a decent setup in regards to "prepping" i would say you need at least 2 radios
One scanner that can cover whatever systems, etc in your immediate area as well as the "VTAC/UTAC" channels and other common mutual aid frequencies
And a radio thats transmit capable such as GMRS that you can call for help or keep in touch with other preppers or whatever
For emergency situations definitely take into consideration what sources of power, etc the radio can do

Shortwave is also good to have
There are some pocket/handheld ones that are decent

I got my eyes on this shortwave - Heartland America: Grundig Satellite Radio

NSprepper

For a decent setup in regards to "prepping" i would say you need at least 2 radios
One scanner that can cover whatever systems, etc in your immediate area as well as the "VTAC/UTAC" channels and other common mutual aid frequencies
And a radio thats transmit capable such as GMRS that you can call for help or keep in touch with other preppers or whatever
For emergency situations definitely take into consideration what sources of power, etc the radio can do

Shortwave is also good to have
There are some pocket/handheld ones that are decent

I got my eyes on this shortwave - Heartland America: Grundig Satellite Radio

That's the same radio I was looking at on amazon.ca!
It's way outta my price range as its over $500 bucks here in Canada. bummer.

Hmmmmm.....now you've got me thinking about scanners again...doh!

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
We have a little portable digital TV we keep with our emergency gear. It's a Radio Shack Auvio, has a 3.5 inch screen, will run on AA batteries. Has a nice picture. I think we paid about $60-70 U.S. for it. Listening to the radio is fine when a storm has knocked your power is out, but it's much nicer to be able to watch the TV News coverage of the event. Of course a TV is not of much use if all the stations have gone down, but chances are not all of them will. I don't know if Radio Shack still makes these, but if not I'm sure something similar is available.

Just a thought.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks again for your sound advice :)

I have to say, as you tell me these things, I realize I already know these things, I just never remembered them, which is why I really appreciate the refresher, lol.

I understand, I've forgotten stuff I haven't even thought of yet.

I guess I could rig up a nice little long wire dipole setup here if I had to, the doves in the backyard would probably appreciate a new perch anyhow, hehe.

The doves might be amused. Dipoles can work well, but check into some of the more broadband antennas. End fed antennas with a 9:1 balun and a good ground can work well. Those can be easier to install since your feed line is at one end and you can hang the far end off anything that'll support it. I've got one hooked up to a radio at work and it works pretty well considering the location.

Speaking of location, you should be in a good location for short wave listening. A good antenna looking east or south east should work well for getting Europe and Africa. There's still some interesting stuff to listen to, and it's always handy getting alternate points of view about what's going on in the world.

Done right, the antenna and a good radio should help your AM broadcast reception. You'd likely be able to pull in AM stations from all along the east coast. Some of the most fun I've had with a radio is listening in on AM broadcast band.

There are SO many factors involved in prepping, it's hard to know every scenario and be able to plan for it. Bugging out, or bugging in is a huge consideration.

I've decided the thing to do for now is choose a shortwave rig, and get a decent mobile CB setup in my vehicle.

I never got into the prepper thing, but I do live in earthquake country and do a lot of camping, so I guess I have in a way.

Around here, AM broadcast is the gold standard. So many of the FM broadcast stations are running network programming or canned stuff that they are useless in an emergency. The larger local AM stations are of much more use. In the event of a wider area disaster, a good radio and antenna can still pull in distant AM stations.
Shortwave is nice for entertainment and getting alternate view of world events, but relying on it for emergencies isn't very useful. You might be able to get some amateur radio chatter, but you'll need a shortwave radio with a BFO so you can listen in on single sideband voice traffic.

I've got a couple eton crank radios with SW feature, but they are just dead air, they only seem to receive FM radio and the NOAA broadcast, I don't think that dinky little telescopic antenna is enough to pull in any signals, unless it's being broadcast from the house nextdoor.

Yeah, those little radios are sort of useless. The shortwave reception ability is hampered by the antennas. the receivers are not high quality, so there are a lot of areas where they'll have issues pulling in weak stations. Where they are useful is for the AM/FM broadcast reception and not relying on batteries.

Speaking of batteries, none of this stuff is going to work without power. While the crank radios are useful, that gets kind of old. Whatever you choose make sure you can power it. Generators are nice, but noisy and require some upkeep. Unless they get exercised frequently, they may not work when you need them. Since most of this gear doesn't use a lot of power, having some storage batteries in a safe location you can run off of is a good option. Solar panels can keep them topped off.
If small radios are your thing, stock up on batteries and just rotate them through occasionally. Pay attention to the radios you purchase and what their battery requirements are.

That's why I was asking what SW radio you might recommend, since the ones I have are kinda useless little things. The built in flashlight is a more useful feature :)

Sangean ATS-803a and it's twin, the Radio Shack DX-440 is what I have. Not top of the line, but still a good radio. It's a portable, so I can take it with me when I'm camping. They were on the market back in the late 80's to early/mid 90's. They are out there on the used market for less than $100. If you get a good one, the are decent radios with a good feature set. Not overly complicated, not top of the line. There are better radios out there, but for the price, these are pretty good. As for the "better" radios, you'll chase that dog around all day, there's always a better one.
The Sangean has an external antenna jack that makes hooking up an external antenna easy. It has the beat frequency oscillator necessary for listening to single sideband. It's fairly sensitive, too. It makes for a great AM broadcast receiver.

As for more modern/current radios, I'm probably not much help there. There are some higher end receivers out there, but you'd quickly get into the "way too freakin' expensive" range rather quickly. Not sure what your budget is, but this radio stuff can get out of hand really quickly.

I think you're off to a good start. CB can be a good choice if it's used in your area. Not always a reliable long distance radio service, but sometimes it is. Not sure I'd rely on it for anything more than a few miles.

Amateur radio is a good option. You'll have repeaters in your area that will give you a lot of possibilities. As things go, having someone to talk to is one of the important parts of radio. An amateur radio license will let you use those Beofengs to they full potential. Put up an outdoor antenna, tune into the local repeaters and you'll find some like minded folks to talk to. A good repeater setup will often have a backup battery or alternate power source, so them staying up in a power outage is possible. Even without that, a good antenna will give you a few miles range easily.

GMRS is kind of limited in Canada. 2 watts is the maximum legal power you can run, and no external antennas. You won't get much range with that unless you are on top of a hill. While some preppers might be willing to run outside the legalities of the radio service, I won't recommend that.

Remember, it's all about having someone else to talk to. Your equipment needs to reflect that need. Shortwave listening is nice, but eventually you'll want to talk to someone else. CB may be good enough if it's popular in your area. If not, check into the amateur radio thing. It can be a good option. You've already got a suitable radio, so you might as well put it to use.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in listening in on all those things, but am trying first to focus on emergency preparedness, so what things do you think are important to be able to receive in an emergency?

What is important to you is the key. I have no idea what is in your area, and how many of those might be useful at any given time.

If you can't decide, improving each area a bit might work. String up an external antenna for HF. Setup a dongle SDR system for monitoring trunking systems.

Those could be done for a couple hundred dollars.

Sent via Tapatalk

NSprepper

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge, thanks!

I've decided to sell my old CB base and handheld, and invest in a more modern more reliable mobile unit, and a good antenna.

I've also been looking at these on alibaba, they seem pretty high powered, what do you think of these units?
What kind of antenna do I need to cover all these frequencies?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cro...lt&btsid=18dd3534-61a2-457a-a813-931b162884d3

Status
Not open for further replies.