What's the best weather radio around today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to add a weather alert radio at home and wondering what you all think is one of the best/better radios available?

I used to buy the Radio Shack stuff, but don't know much about any of them anymore.

I do still have an old RS 12-261 in my office that works pretty well, even to this day.

Thanks for the input !

Reactions: RRR

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Many years ago I picked up a Motorola MWR838 which has served me well.

Has options for external antennas, external alerting and battery backup. Not sure if they're still made.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike !

Thanks for the info. I'll look around. Sometimes the older radios turn up on fleabay.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
BEST to buy a new one to make sure it can decode the digital SAME broadcast tones. I had a Pro2036 scanner with WX radio/Siren and it quit working because NOAA upgraded their SAME tone systems. I had an older WX radio too and it didn't work to notify on the test days or annual March storm awareness days. Neither could decode the tones anymore. Those Midland WX radios are cheap, look cheap but they work great. Something OLDER may not even work these days unless you happen to have it ON listening when there is a storm
NOAA Weather Radios | Midland Radio

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Johnyydollar2,

Thanks for that info. It's something I'll be sure to confirm when I narrow down a choice of radios.

Regards.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Reecom Model R-1630 with SAME and battery backup. It's about 10 years old and still works like charm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

AA4TX

My Reecom radios perform much better than the Midland, especially the WR400, their latest. The WR400 has severe issues in medium to strong RF environments, and in less than optimum signal strength areas. I went through six WR400s, working directly with Midland over 2 months, and they were never able to solve the failure to alert or the RF susceptibility problems. Co-located Reecom R-1650Ds never failed.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi AARTX,

Thanks for the heads up about the Midland WR400. I was considering it.....

I have found a RS 12-261 on Fleabay for $20.00 and may jump on it. I am pretty sure it will be fine since the one I have at my office works fine with the SAME alerts.

I think I'll also see if I can find some any Reecom radios.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I have this one and have been happy with it,

It has a battery backup and alerts you when the backup batteries are low which is nice. The built in antenna did break off, I put a 160MHz rubber ducky in the external antenna port but it actually receives decently with no antenna at all, but I put the antenna on there just to be safe.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
JoshuaHufford,

I appreciate that info. I was looking at the top-of-the-line Midland. The WR400.

It's a nice looking radio. It seems some people like the Midlands, and some don't.

I have ordered another RS12-261 on ebay for $20.00.

I still plan to pick up another alert monitor, just haven't made up my mind which one to get yet.

N8FNR

We have a Reecom R-1630 and agree that is it a great radio. I programmed ours with the SAME codes for our home and places we travel to. Then all I have to do is change the receive channel at our destination.
Be sure and put the SAME code in for your county .Also turn off alerts for things that you don't care about. I live near a lot of big lakes but since I don't care about marine alerts I have those turned off. I don't want to be woken in the middle of the night for a marine alert.
Go here to get the SAME code for your county; County Coverage By State

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
WR120 my vote. It is cheap and very reliable. I once broke the antenna. Midland sent me a new one, free of charge. Later, I lost the power supply. Midland sent me a new one, free of charge. In Texas, the local HEB grocery chain has been selling this specific radio for over 8 years or more. They sell for $29.99; however, this is not the usual price I see on some sites. Some want near $50.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
My only issue with weather radios these days is they are too noisy. They send out alerts for every little thing to the point of being a nuisance. I ended up disconnecting the weather radio and rely on a mobile app, namely Storm Shield. At least I can filter what I get alerted for on that.

ScannerSK

My only issue with weather radios these days is they are too noisy. They send out alerts for every little thing to the point of being a nuisance. I ended up disconnecting the weather radio and rely on a mobile app, namely Storm Shield. At least I can filter what I get alerted for on that.

Exactly, it would be nice to find a newer inexpensive weather radio that allows turning off snow squall warnings.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Exactly, it would be nice to find a newer inexpensive weather radio that allows turning off snow squall warnings.
Yeah or a "Special Weather Statement". They were useful at one time, but it's almost like they make everything into an alert these days.

FPOWLD

I have had a Midland model WR120 for 9 years and have been very pleased with it. Easy to set up and they do a weekly test every Wed. I like it because it has battery back supply in case of power failure. Has low battery power alert and you can set it up like you want. Paid
$30.00
I would recommend it.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
WR120 my vote. It is cheap and very reliable. I once broke the antenna. Midland sent me a new one, free of charge. Later, I lost the power supply. Midland sent me a new one, free of charge. In Texas, the local HEB grocery chain has been selling this specific radio for over 8 years or more. They sell for $29.99; however, this is not the usual price I see on some sites. Some want near $50.

That is good to know because I broke the antenna on mine as well, will free up the Rubber Ducky I have on it now if I can get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.