What's the correct control channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

Greeting all,
I have a question relating to the 800MHz bands along the Wasatch Front in utah.
I have been monitoring Callsign WQED583 with a frequency of 851.4250 and 853.7000
And both indicate that they are the current control channel for this group of frequencies,
Also one pulls a higher S Signal than the other.
I thought only one control channel is used at a time, so which one have I misidentified.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Greeting all,
I have a question relating to the 800MHz bands along the Wasatch Front in utah.
I have been monitoring Callsign WQED583 with a frequency of 851.4250 and 853.7000
And both indicate that they are the current control channel for this group of frequencies,
Also one pulls a higher S Signal than the other.
I thought only one control channel is used at a time, so which one have I misidentified.
If this is the system you are asking about

Those frequencies are on two different sites. Each is listed as a control channel on their respective systems.
851.425 is here:

853.700 is listed for several sites, but not the one that shows 851.425

mrlthse

OK, Wow
So, why does UCAN put the same frequency on two systems, approximately 75 or so miles apart.
If they are on my Layton site, (as a controller channel) Why is it also listed as a control channel in Utah co.

pb_lonny

Same here, we have some EDACS sites on the same frequencies but they are apart from each other.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The UCA system covers a large area (the whole state). The state is broken up into different sites. Each site covers a specific geographic area and has its own Control Channel and "voice channels". These channels can be reused at different sites, if here is enough distance between them. The radios are programmed to switch sites as the signal strength changes. They will pick the closest/strongest control channel for its instructions. From my home in Bountiful, I can receive the control channels of 6 different sites. Each site will often have different users on it.
Did this help?

mrlthse

Right, I understood that as I was progressing along this path back in the year 2000, prior to the olympics.
I am now just refining my skills (since I am also newly retired) by looking up every freq in the YE GE and so on services.
I just realized (by using my ICOM 8500 receiver and a discone antenna on my Rohn 25 tower) that a great helper is the signal strength meter,
I realized that even thou two frequenncy used as controller with at least something like these two frequency can be used on different systems.
together. So to conclude, It is an interesting study of how radio freqs in thes band are used for the better good.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes the license covers multiple sites, if u put the frequencies from the license rather that the site u will not track it properly, u must follow the site frequencies, but check the license for clarification, but watch what area each frequency is listed for in the license

mrlthse

Sometimes the license covers multiple sites, if u put the frequencies from the license rather that the site u will not track it properly, u must follow the site frequencies, but check the license for clarification, but watch what area each frequency is listed for in the license
You have gotten my lost
let's look at callsign wqif657 and knju695 both with the same freqs (8 out of 10) listed as in the salt lake area
what are your thought on this?

mrlthse

I am using Radio shack pro 163 / 4 (Base) unit,
and a radio shack 96 / 2096 (Digitial)
with a discone antenna on a rohn 25G tower at my residence

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
You have gotten my lost
let's look at callsign wqif657 and knju695 both with the same freqs (8 out of 10) listed as in the salt lake area
what are your thought on this?
What sites can you hear? And what sites does this license cover?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
WQIF657 is a salt lake city system, the license lists city creek and farnsworth peak. Which tells me the salt lake city system not UCA, but I'll look more

mrlthse

you'll find it has 20 freq assigned to it,with asystem id of ac33 if that helps
it cover the airport nicely
the prime site is little farnswotrth peak
then city creek
and lastly salt lake city (1529 n 4060 W)

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it lists a lot of frequencies, so since there's only 2 sites, which I've heard, when I was up there, so what do u need to know about AC33 system? Not all the frequencies being listed on the license is being used on the system, but gives them room to grow, so they may use them later, since it sounds like u may be listening from Utah county u may hear this system, but others may also be heard using the same frequencies but different systems due to the distance, this may be the problem your having..

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Since salt lake and Provo areas are such a big area to cover, multiple things are covered in those areas, when I visit my brothers place I hear at least 6 counties at one time, Morgan, Davis, Weber, salt lake and Utahand tooele counties and the sites associated with them and there is tons of overlap

mrlthse

Since salt lake and Provo areas are such a big area to cover, multiple things are covered in those areas, when I visit my brothers place I hear at least 6 counties at one time, Morgan, Davis, Weber, salt lake and Utahand tooele counties and the sites associated with them and there is tons of overlap
Yeah it lists a lot of frequencies, so since there's only 2 sites, which I've heard, when I was up there, so what do u need to know about AC33 system? Not all the frequencies being listed on the license is being used on the system, but gives them room to grow, so they may use them later, since it sounds like u may be listening from Utah county u may hear this system, but others may also be heard using the same frequencies but different systems due to the distance, this may be the problem your having..
It not what I need to know,
As much as it is, What is a system ID and what is it used for,
No one seems to know the answer.
Does AC33 belong to sometime or what does it do or acount for.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Ac33 is what salt lake city uses for city services, they also recently added the salt lake airport to that same system, each system has a unique system ID for each system, on the uniden scanners specifically it will show the system ID if u sit on the control channel for a minute or use unitrunker it will show the system ID and site ID, which the control channel broadcasts..

Status
Not open for further replies.