Whats the deal with the 436HP Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

The display layout on the 436HP is a joke. It looks like some kind of early beta layout, rather than a final production version.

The fonts are all wrong and some of the really important fields are in the smallest fonts.

If you've got to start putting separation lines between your display information fields, something is very wrong..

troymail

Silent Key
The display layout on the 436HP is a joke. It looks like some kind of early beta layout, rather than a final production version.

The fonts are all wrong and some of the really important fields are in the smallest fonts.

If you've got to start putting separation lines between your display information fields, something is very wrong..

So it's not just me!

Disclaimer: I don't have a 436.

I've soften my position on this after seeing a few different videos and photos of the radio in action. However, most of the images I've seen suggest there could be better use of the screen real estate under normal/default conditions.

Some people like clean, uncluttered screens and others want to see everything (I prefer the 5 line full display on the 536 over the larger 3 line display).

Wouldn't it be cool to see the basic talkgroup/system activity on the top of the large 436 display while simultaneously displaying some type of analysis/graphical output on the lower half?

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I got a chance to play with one for almost an hour nonstop at a local dealer. The first problem is that at it's best, with the contrast set to be best setting and the screen to the brightest setting, it sucks! The display is dim at best. The fonts are not the easiest on the eyes and when the scanner is actively scanning, it's hard to make out who or what is being scanned sometimes because of the lack of a clear bright viewing ability. You would need to be in a real brightly lit environment to enjoy this radio. And unless you are used to the HP-1 style of scanning , 396XT owners are not going to like this scanner. It's a portable version of the HP-1 pretty much with very few features carried over from the 396XT side. Unless you need one, I say save your money! Way too early in the release and too many glitches right now to suggest running out and forking over $500. I have 2 996XTs, a 396Xt, a 346XT and 4 BCT15Xs. Trust me, I'm good.....Save your money!

Manny

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I like it. The three lines are easy to discern at a glance. I agree that they could have bolded some text to make it stand out a bit. A reverse display with the background dark and the text bright would have been the best, something like a cheap cell phone display.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
The three lines are easy to discern at a glance.

How do you get three lines on a 436?
When I follow the directions on page 27 of the manual, I get Unit ID Display On or Off, not three lines.

Ed6698

The display is also kind of a turn off for me from what I have looked at in the videos. It appears there is a lot going on, it almost seems like some info is repeated slightly in the 3 lines. I would think with this display so large and all that is going on with it, this unit would eat batteries up.
The 3 battery thing is also a turn off to me. Batteries are sold in in 2 or 4 packs and so on, not as 3 packs, so now I would need a additional step to cycle through the one extra battery every so often. I charge my batteries in a Powerex MH C9000 and not in the radio so I could charge 3 batteries, but if someone has a charger that needs to charge in pairs, they would always have to keep 1 uncharged battery.
Luckily I do not need a new scanner as of yet, so I am going to take a pass for now and see what else comes out here in the next couple months, I may not even get anything then either, because for what I listen to, I do not need a new scanner yet.

afdscan

I'm overall pleased with the scanner, but I'm disappointed with the size of the font. It is such a large screen, yet the font appears smaller than on my 396. I am okay with the system and the department font, I wish the channel font was larger. It would be great if Uniden offered a way for the user to adjust the font size.

KA2ZEY

It really is a portable version of HP1 with keypad - and phase 2 p25. Note night reason to sell my 396xt. If I knew that a future upgrade would enable DMR and NXDN decode, I would get one.

mhzscan

Same here, the display looks too cluttered. I dont like the way the dividing lines are set, they are too close to the fonts. Maybe this is the only way it will accommodate HP1 type info. Bummer about the brightness, I was pretty psyched about this scanner. For now, I'm sticking with my 396XT until they get it right.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
436 Screen

The screen on the 436HP is awesome in regards to the amount of information displayed. It is a bit cluttered at first glance but after having the radio for a week I like it. It takes a few days to get used to what to look for and where to find it at a glance.

It doesn't get bright enough even on highest setting compared to the PSR 800.

The fonts' are a bit small but not bad if I could brighten up the screen a bit. The only other solution to the screen fonts would be make them larger and display less information and scroll that missing information. I prefer to keep it all displayed at once.

I imagine some of this is to help it survive with 3 batteries. But I would like the option to make the screen brighter and to remain on as long as it receives a transmission with an extra 2 sec delay.

None of the above makes me dislike the radio. Just stating what I see and prefer. Overall I like the radio.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Nothing beats the screen type on the HP1. I was hoping Uniden would release a portable version of the HP1, and alas they did not. Trying to merge the best of the 396 and HP1 into one portable was a stretch.

There are users who prefer the HP1 style, (many NON scanner nut users), and others prefer the 396.

I've been into scanning and radio for over 35 years going back to the crystal days. Quite frankly, I am at the point where I prefer ease of setup and listening on the HP1 as opposed to the degree from MIT required by the 396 and other similar scanners.

The HP1 fit my bill perfectly. Greatest performing and easiest to use I've ever owned.

Put that screen format and ease of use into a portable and you have a sale.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'd agree that the display is rather dim, not the best contrast and also the fonts are not the easiest on the eyes.

With so much potential display real estate surprised at what little we got, though I do understand the general logic in the manner the stuff is displayed.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Nothing beats the screen type on the HP1. I was hoping Uniden would release a portable version of the HP1, and alas they did not. Trying to merge the best of the 396 and HP1 into one portable was a stretch.

There are users who prefer the HP1 style, (many NON scanner nut users), and others prefer the 396.

I've been into scanning and radio for over 35 years going back to the crystal days. Quite frankly, I am at the point where I prefer ease of setup and listening on the HP1 as opposed to the degree from MIT required by the 396 and other similar scanners.

The HP1 fit my bill perfectly. Greatest performing and easiest to use I've ever owned.

Put that screen format and ease of use into a portable and you have a sale.

Did you notice in Paul's introductory Video introducing the new radios that when he demo the WiFi on the 536 the tablet sure looked like the HP-1 color scheme!

However, I agree with everything Detroit780 said about using the 436 and it's screen. I was very surprised to discover that I already had the backlight on "High", it does need one additional higher setting for people especially for people who are not on batteries.

The are fewer places I can place the 436 in my car and not get screen glare but the places that work are OK, so no problem there and like Detroit780 said you over time learn to look at the screen to see what you need not try to read all of it all of the time. I too like the amount of info displayed but I have a lot of scanners to do what I want (including the HP-1) if the 436 was the only scanner I had I may not have as much flexibility.

tkenny53

Turn your contrast to 14, it will be much better, but you need to make it default in the profile or it reverts back on restart. If you look at where and what is being displayed, you can alter the descriptions where needed to make it easier to read. It too bad it is super heavy on editing, the x96 scanner were much more at editing ease, but you could import from RR and save some time.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I tired setting the Display to 14 and it made a big difference! Thanks!

I also checked and as you said changing the display setting with the radio will get reset when you reboot or update programming, so I have addressed that too.

After I get my programming under control I will definitely be rewording various headings for better readability.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.