BCD436HP/BCD536HP: What's the delta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I had a BCD396T and liked it. I replaced it with a BCD396XT when those came out (and added a couple BCD996XTs as well) and like it fine, too. The 'XT was an upgrade to the 'T, but it was evolutionary and not revolutionary. IOW, the upgrade was worth it but only just.

What is the delta between the BCD996XT and the BCD436HP? The DB is built-in, I know, the radio records to SD if you want ... what else?

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
Worth noting - some of the features listed for the x36HP scanners and shown in the advertising are not currently available.

Hulca

What features are listed but not currently available?

I am interested in the 436, but am waiting for the second firmware update to make sure all the bugs are addressed. Any idea when the second firmware update will be available?

Was the first firmware update successful for the specific items that were addressed in the update?
I am hoping all the bugs are taken care of.

I currently have a 396T.
I was disappointed the 396XT came out so quickly after my initial purchase of the 396T.
Didn't have the funds to upgrade.

I hope Uniden won't come out with the BCD436HP"XT" after I buy the BCD436HP!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The Analyze feature (as found on the HP-1 Extreme) and Siren software for iOS and android devices is not yet available, but will be free when available.

I doubt an "XT" version will be available in the next three years.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The Analyze feature (as found on the HP-1 Extreme) and Siren software for iOS and android devices is not yet available, but will be free when available.

I doubt an "XT" version will be available in the next three years.

I thought the App was only for the 536?

As for an XT coming out "so soon" ... I bought my BCD396T in 2005 and the replaced it when the XT came out nearly 4 years later. I don't call that "soon".

So I gather no one here has both a 396XT and a 436HP and can convey the difference between the two? I can read brochures, but I'd rather hear from someone who has one.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I thought the App was only for the 536?

As for an XT coming out "so soon" ... I bought my BCD396T in 2005 and the replaced it when the XT came out nearly 4 years later. I don't call that "soon".

So I gather no one here has both a 396XT and a 436HP and can convey the difference between the two? I can read brochures, but I'd rather hear from someone who has one.
I have both the 396XT, the 436HP, as well as a 396T.

The 436 is a bit larger than the 396XT, Not as big as the PSR-500/Pro-106, but bigger than the XT.

The 436, for me here in the DFW Metro area, appears to be more sensitive (using the R/S 800MHz antenna on both units). I'm getting better reception of the more distant systems on the 436, and the decoding is a bit better. (Note that other than the more distant systems, I was not having issues with the 396XT.)

The 396XT has the different color options for the display backlight, whereas for the 436HP, you have a small alert led near the speaker, color selectable per channel/talkgroup. The display itself is white, and I find that I prefer a higher contrast setting than the default; that's an easy setting.

I have not taken a trip with the 436 as yet, but will before ling. I have the Uniden GPS puck that I used with my HP-1, so I may try it. I don't expect any problems.

Generally, the 436HP has replaced my 396XT as the grab & go scanner when I leave the house.

freqhopping

I've got the 436, a 396XT, 996T, a no longer functioning 396T, PSR800 and some others.

Everything but the 436 sits at home on the desk, or in the case of the PSR800 my stepdad's desk

Before TDMA the 396XT was my primary. Then I had to get the PSR so I had TDMA decoding, but that left me without a keypad and ability to quickly tune to a single freq or access all my programming as easily as I could with the 396XT.

TDMA is the biggest plus over the 396XT for me. If you don't need TDMA decoding then it really shouldn't make much of a difference unless you really want the recording capability of the 436. Recording is just a bonus for me. Built-in DB isn't that big of a deal to me since I always customize my programming anyways.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Everything but the 436 sits at home on the desk [...]

Pretty good endorsement. TDMA is not a thing here yet though I'm sure it will be, but as I said, it's still mostly analog. Type II trunked, but analog.

I think I might go for it now that I know how people compare the two. Besides, I need to do it now so I can sell the BCD396XT while it still has a lot of its value! :D

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.