• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What's The Longest FRS/GMRS Range Claim These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
So maybe getting back on track to the OP......can anyone give advice as to which make, model, would be the best bet OR are they all the same as far as quality, distance, etc...

Actually, the OP wants to know what company is making the biggest CLAIM of range these days, not whose is the best radio!
I suppose Amazon would be the best place to go to get a view of the widest selection, unless there are places online that pretty much just sell these types of radios.

KF5YDR

Man, rapidcharger, you're not a "crusader against waste and fraud," you're just a dummy who's easily tricked and decided to get butthurt instead of shrewd. It's your responsibility to keep yourself from getting hoodwinked, not anyone else's.

KF5YDR

BACK ON TOPIC: the longest range claim I've seen. is 50 miles, which is a pretty tall tale considering you gotta be a quarter-mile in the air to get that line of sight. :p

rapidcharger

Man, rapidcharger, you're not a "crusader against waste and fraud," you're just a dummy who's easily tricked and decided to get butthurt instead of shrewd. It's your responsibility to keep yourself from getting hoodwinked, not anyone else's.

You can always tell how right you are by the number of insults you receive. And I will wear that insult like an honor badge.

BACK ON TOPIC: the longest range claim I've seen. is 50 miles, which is a pretty tall tale considering you gotta be a quarter-mile in the air to get that line of sight. :p

So the definition of "tall tale" is an exaggerated, unreliable story. You obviously think being unethical and telling tall tales is a perfectly OK for that company (Uniden) to do. I don't. I don't think people should have to read the fine print with a magnifying glass. I also think the size of the small print shall be no more than 15% smaller than the largest print on the package. Because if it is, it's not because the company is being a good capitalist. It's because they don't want people to read it. And coming from a background in that industry, it is PROVEN that people will not read the small print below a certain size. They just won't. And companies know this which is why they put so many important details in a microscopic font size.

quarterwave

Back away from the coffee pot!

Oh, yeah....so I have a pair of "M" FRS bubbles that I got for about $40 at the shack for work, we don't use them often, but they are kind of my back up tool, in case we get too far apart to hear each other. I have had them break up when I was 300 feet from my helper. I had them fuzz out once in a huge open building...where I could see him, but was about 400 feet from him, and the echo was so bad we couldn't talk...so we tried the radios....well, it wasn't much better. But, I have had them work well out in the open up to a 1/2 mile. All comes down to quality.

I think the package on these said 10 miles.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You can always tell how right you are by the number of insults you receive. And I will wear that insult like an honor badge.

So the definition of "tall tale" is an exaggerated, unreliable story. You obviously think being unethical and telling tall tales is a perfectly OK for that company (Uniden) to do. I don't. I don't think people should have to read the fine print with a magnifying glass. I also think the size of the small print shall be no more than 15% smaller than the largest print on the package. Because if it is, it's not because the company is being a good capitalist. It's because they don't want people to read it. And coming from a background in that industry, it is PROVEN that people will not read the small print below a certain size. They just won't. And companies know this which is why they put so many important details in a microscopic font size.

You continue to focus on what people CHOOSE to do (or not do...as in not reading what's available to them) and act like that is the manufacturer's fault. Take responsibility instead of blaming it on someone else is what needs to happen. The companies disclose it. If you or someone else CHOOSE not to read it IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT BUT YOUR OWN. Period. Any additional argument is pointless and a sounding gong...

Please move along.

KF5YDR

*ponders DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS sign*
Yeah...I want to, but that's probably good advice.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Back of every unit. Takes up about 1/4 of the usable area.

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 149

rapidcharger

You continue to focus on what people CHOOSE to do (or not do...as in not reading what's available to them) and act like that is the manufacturer's fault. )))

But it is the manufacturers that are being misleading. Not the customers.

(((Take responsibility instead of blaming it on someone else is what needs to happen.)))

I bet you'd say the same thing to sexual assault victims. It's their fault too, right? They showed a little too much skin?

((( The companies disclose it. If you or someone else CHOOSE not to read it IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT BUT YOUR OWN. Period. Any additional argument is pointless and a sounding gong...)))

The companies go through the trouble of making that important disclaimer difficult to read. They don't want people to read it.

(((Please move along.
Keep dreaming.

*ponders DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS sign*
Yeah...I want to, but that's probably good advice.
Yay! Another insult. Wow. I guess anyone who doesn't agree with you is automatically a troll.
Even if I was a troll, trolls matter! ;)
Do Trolls Matter?
:D

By now, I'm sure the moderators are getting a little irritated with the direction this post is heading. I'll go ahead and say I have nothing else to add that hasn't already been said. I recognize we're just going in circles. So have a nice day.

rapidcharger

Back of every unit. Takes up about 1/4 of the usable area.

Nice try.
Are online buyers going to see the packaging?
Not if they're on amazon.
... or as it turns out... any other e-tailer.

Cute. Real cute.

And hey, even if they could, why not put it on the front of the package so people can see it better? It's obviously helpful to know that the 50 mile walkie talkie only gets a quarter of a mile of range in actuality. Don't you think buyers would want to know that?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's your responsibility to keep yourself from getting hoodwinked, not anyone else's.

This is why it is important the consumers are given accurate, concise and HONEST information and not marketing hype or mice type.
Without reasonable regulation we would not have Nutrition Fact labels, tobacco product warnings, or drug interaction warnings.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
We may understand the limitations of the technology as radio enthusiasts. But news flash: not everyone is as knowledgeable on the subject as you. Several of you need to step off the high horses and find a way to have a conversation without name calling.

Even the diagram on the referenced Uniden packaging is misleading. One could interpret the urban diagram as you'll receive approximately 1/3 of the advertised range of 16 miles... which would be just over 5 miles. That's unlikely to be the case.

I fail to see how clear and truthful marketing hurts businesses (legitimate ones that is). If I offer a product or service that is known to have variable performance due to factors beyond my control, I clearly explain it to the customer. I don't slide the information in there as subliminally as possible in an attempt to cover myself.

I've never taken business or marketing classes so I guess being honest is a naive practice?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks like a few people forgot that this thread isn't in the Politics forum in the Tavern.

I think the horse has been beaten enough. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.