What's the Service Group for the Railroads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yep,
and thank you...
Callsigns and license don't mean much in the railroad radio world. You may hear operations on any of the channelized frequencies.

When I worked for Union Pacific, I would program a few pairs in there that I kept to myself unless I really needed to speak to my engineer privately. Anyone who wanted to listen in would need to monitor both channels to hear both sides of the conversation. I generally had a code word that I would say that meant to switch to that other pair of frequencies. This was done to prevent prying ears from railroad management.

So, just because there is a license for a certain frequency for that area doesn't actually mean much. Railroads can use any of the railroad band that they want no matter where in the nation they are. Large track gangs come to mind, and the TRT used many all at the same time.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Read this whole thread and still don't know what was being asked...and I'm not sure the OP does either. Seems the OP is trying to make something relatively simple to be much more complex than necessary?

Just monitor the AAR channels and you'll hear the local ones. Make notes and pare down your programming to just the ones you want to hear.

They aren't going to call out their license callsign over the air. You're better off going to the database for the state you are interested in and looking at the railroad listings.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrlthse

Ok, What I was simple asking was,
Does anybody know the FCC Callsigns for the area covered in the Ogden, Utah (Proper) yard range
Which would be from Brigham City Utah to Provo, Utah.
I know that the Rail services does not use Callsign to identify themselves,
But, They use the front engine (Power) as there callsign for that particular run, as it is.
And Reading this thread I have learned that Just because they have FCC freqs assigned,
The railroad services can and does use whatever freqs they want, as long as it it in the 97 Freqs assigned to the railroad service.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok, What I was simple asking was,
Does anybody know the FCC Callsigns for the area covered in the Ogden, Utah (Proper) yard range

If you're determined to get the FCC callsigns, the easiest way is:
1. Go to the FCC ULS search page. License Search
2. Click Advanced License Search (left side of the page).
3. Near the bottom of the page under Frequencies, click the Range button, enter 160.215 in the first box and 161.565 in the second box.
4. At the bottom of the page, click the Geosearch button.
5. On the Geosearch page, in the state and county area, select Utah and Weber County.
6. Click the Search button. This should give you all the railroad stuff actually licensed in Weber County (which includes Ogden). In most cases you would have to sort through all the listings it gives you to find the UP licenses to get in the ballpark, but in this case you're lucky; the only railroad licenses in Weber County are Union Pacific.

Also, remember that railroad frequency use can be somewhat fluid, You'll find through your monitoring that some frequencies pop up active which aren't actually licensed within Weber County; likewise, you will see a whole bunch of licensed frequencies which probably aren't used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.