Wally46

Feed Provider
here is the BCD536HP. Works like the Home Patrol

Attachments

• IMG_20140319_170954_851 (640x361).jpg
    IMG_20140319_170954_851 (640x361).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,038

Nasby

You better read the reviews on the new line of Unidens before you buy one.

You could very well be better off buying an older model GRE made scanner.

That's if performance matters to you.

Wally46

Feed Provider
Yes the 436 is the handheld. And yes you can just put in your zipcode as with the home patrol. Of course as with any product there will be negative comments, but most people love'em

troymail

Silent Key
You better read the reviews on the new line of Unidens before you buy one.

That's if performance matters to you.

I second that -- figure out what you need / want to listen to - and then do your research before you buy! What works for some may not work for you..... but to be fair, the problems some of us are having may not affect you at all.

Unfortunately, it ain't "black and white" -- lots of grey.

You could very well be better off buying an older model GRE made scanner.

...or waiting for a new Whistler (coming soon)... at least that will come with a warranty and support....

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Guess I need a reverse mortgage for that thing.

But is that a scanner or a wideband receiver?

Last edited:

jack103

Premium Subscriber
I can just imagine how many of us taxpayers have funded the purchase of these receivers to the spooks to listen to our phone calls.

mlairson

Premium Subscriber
the radio shack pro-197 and pro-106 are hard to beat. Of course the Grecom psr-500 and psr-600 are also good. If you need tdma, I recommend the new Uniden model BCD436HP. I don't recommend the Prs-800. I'm in the Houston,Tx area and it could all depend on your exact location. The new Uniden is a good scanner, but it may take a day or 2 to figure it all out, depending on what trunking system you need to monitor, or what your favorite frequencies are. I had to "zero in" on a particular SITE after I already had the trunking channel I wanted to monitor. According to one's previous experience with scanners, as to how hard a new scanner can be. If you are in a smaller town that does not have many trunking frequencies, an after market scanner might just be for you. Easy and simple to operate. Many many smaller towns are still on VHF. Your sure don't need a complicated trunking scanner in that case.

Nasby

Yes the 436 is the handheld. And yes you can just put in your zipcode as with the home patrol. Of course as with any product there will be negative comments, but most people love'em

But there are many people who don't like these new Uniden offerings at all due to many performance issues.

Just sayin' do your research before you plunk down a big wad of cash.

And just cuz its new doesn't mean its better.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
You may want to seek the opinion of others that are actually in your area, listening to the systems you listen to.

In the case of the x36HP's - "Your mileage may vary".

For some, performance is reported as stellar and this scanner is the biggest leap forward in technology since the wheel. For others (myself included), not so good. Performance is worse than another 10 yr old scanner (Uniden) I have reenlisted as my go to unit. New does not mean improved - this scanner has many vocal proponents on this forum and I have seen no empirical evidence to support that 'most' people love this scanner...nor any data to the contrary. In hindsight, I would have bought the 996XT or done a wait and see on the Whistlers.

For this scanner in particular - do your research thoroughly.

Wally46

Feed Provider
If it's such a bad scanner guys then why in the hell have they been selling like hot cakes and places have had trouble keeping them in stock!? I own both and I'm happy with them! That's all that matters! If you guys aren't, get a refund!

N8IAA

I know the home patrol very well and like it very much. Is there any newer scanners that are much better than the home patrol. Thanks Ron

Do due diligence, and ask in your state forum, read the comments (it will boggle your mind) on the brand new Uniden scanners. Check the prices of still newer scanners in the RR for sale forum.
Larry

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I'm loving my new BCD396XT. I hear there's issues with the newest Uniden scanners, stick to the XT if you can program a radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.