What's up with Dakota County

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverboon

I just got done triing to show off the Uniden BCD996T scanner to some new people and found that Dakota County is really quiet lately. However a few TGS did work but seems rather Ramsey is also using frequencies for Dakota.

Are the towers still active or are they updating? Seems weird Dakota is quiet unless they got new tgs. The people really want to buy a new updated scanner and it's like wow, now there going to wait.

Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can try to explain to them why it was so quiet.

Thank You

rjr002

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding in progress

Starting April 2008 many of the frequencies used by the ARMER system have changed.
This is a result of a long planned resolution with Nextel to address interference issues.
This process is known as "rebanding".
There have been no reports of any problems with compatible scanners and the new frequencies.
In most cases, the change is simply to subtract 15mhz from any frequency greater then 861.000mhz. For example, 867.3875 becomes 852.3875 under the new plan.
Hopefully these changes will improve reception for users in areas that have heavy Nextel repeater coverage.

stmills

Tower 103- Dakota County has not completed rebanding - the current control channel is still 868.5625, The RR database reflects what should be the cc after rebanding is completed.

Steve

Help For Dakota!

Please disregard my last post I am live with Dakota now. I do want to know a little info for Dakota if any would know. I want to have MNSIF frequency for Dakota specifically Burnsville and surrounding cities. Before the switch I would hear the State Patrol helicopter and chases from time to time. Also, anyone know how to get the State Patrol here in Dakota. I have plugged the talk groups using the Dakota towers and I never hear anything. If anyone could help me with the State Patrol and MNSIF problem you would have a happy radio rookie. Thanks. - Mike

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
State Patrol is mainly on the metro main system. Sometimes they can be heard on other systems too, but they're primarily on the metro main system. I would suggest programming the metro main system into your scanner if you want to hear the state patrol. As far as MINSEF goes, it used to be on talk group 12 if i remember correctly. But for some reason now it is listed as open. So not really sure what the story is there. For those types of incidents keep an eye on the Tac channels.

Dakota is down again.

Wog- do you know what is up with Dakota County. I was live yesterday and then in the early evening there was nothing. I did change my freq by 15 the other day which worked. What's up now?

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
As far as MINSEF goes, it used to be on talk group 12 if i remember correctly. But for some reason now it is listed as open. So not really sure what the story is there. For those types of incidents keep an eye on the Tac channels.

I don't think the MINSEF talkgroup is in use anymore. Incidents that would have used the MINSEF talkgroup are now usually on LTAC 1, which is then patched to MINSEF VHF (155.475) if needed.

mmtstc

Ø
They chose to discontinue use of MINSEF Digital TG because they felt that it was a better idea to get field users used to using the Tactical Talkgroups such as L Tacs, P Tacs and E Tacs and let them forget about their old VHF ways. The thought process is that if an event occurs where there are both digital and analog users, all of the LEC Communication centers on the Digital system have retained their their MINSEF VHF assets and can just add a soft patch if need be.

Often times in a pursuit or incident situations, the Agency initiating the pursuit or operation will continue on their primary talkgroup and it will be patched to both the first available L Tac and P Tac. the rationale behind the initiating agency retaining their primary TG is so that they do not have to worry about changing TG's in the middle of a high stress incident. Often times Hennepin will go "10-33" on the LE main the incident began on or else they will go to H Tac 3 and i think there are a couple other agencies that choose to go a similar route...

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
They chose to discontinue use of MINSEF Digital TG because they felt that it was a better idea to get field users used to using the Tactical Talkgroups such as L Tacs, P Tacs and E Tacs and let them forget about their old VHF ways. The thought process is that if an event occurs where there are both digital and analog users, all of the LEC Communication centers on the Digital system have retained their their MINSEF VHF assets and can just add a soft patch if need be.

Often times in a pursuit or incident situations, the Agency initiating the pursuit or operation will continue on their primary talkgroup and it will be patched to both the first available L Tac and P Tac. the rationale behind the initiating agency retaining their primary TG is so that they do not have to worry about changing TG's in the middle of a high stress incident. Often times Hennepin will go "10-33" on the LE main the incident began on or else they will go to H Tac 3 and i think there are a couple other agencies that choose to go a similar route...

So whats the difference between an L-Tac and a P-Tac?

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
The L-TACs are used only by law enforcement, and the P-TACs are used by all public safety agencies.

Awsome info guys

Great info above about the Tac channels. Clears up a lot of the to lock out if you are just looking for Law Enforcement channels.

mmtstc

Ø
The S-Tacs are quickly gaining use in the Metro and the enitre state as things build out. S-Tacs are universal throughout the state whereas the P-Tacs and L-Tacs are becoming regionalized as the system builds out. There are now SE (x)-Tacs and CM (x)-Tacs for central MN (St. Cloud) and SE MN (Rochester).

S-Tacs allow a Visiting unit to work with Local units in the even that unit A uses CM PTac's and Unit B uses the Metro PTac's.

Status
Not open for further replies.