What's up with FreeScan? the 216 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

My computer is running FreeScan just fine. I've been playing with a new 396XT with success so far.

Just this week when I open FreeScan I am getting a popup for a newer version. And that's where the trouble starts.

It keeps telling me there is a newer version and there is an update available, would I like to download it now?

Each time I download fssetup-216.zip it extracts and appears as an application,and tries to install just fine. However, I get a series of error messages
Error opening file FreeSCAN.exe and then same error opening or writing NAudio.dll

Obviously Retry does nothing, and abort has the intended result.

If ignore those it'll install, but starts the old version. And again says there's an update.

Any suggestions?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Moosemedic, I've moved your thread to the Scanner Programming Software forum since it didn't have anything to do with Colorado.
In the future, please look over all the available forums and pick one that's more suitable. Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I also upgraded to 2.16a on a Win7 starter netbook with zero issues. I simply downloaded it, used 7-Zip to extract the file and executed the extracted file. So simple even a caveman can do it :.>>

Moose, you didn't say anything about how you unzipped it. You should never ever let Windows Explorer unzip a file. It's very erratic - one time it will work just fine, the next - pffft. It has been known to corrupt files. This flaw has been documented in many places.

Fortunately there are many good zip utilities, some are free like 7-Zip. Then just make sure to create a file association in Windows to always use this program with zip files. That way you avoid the possibility of corruption. Here's the link

7-Zip

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.