What's Up with LATIE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

OK,

Louisiana has this LATIE radio system on 700 mcs, trunked. So far, all I see is agencies
in SOUTH Louisiana. Once again, NORTH Louisiana, especially NORTHWEST LA is left out.
Somethings never change.

Diapers are like politicians...they're both full of it and stink!

red8

ka5lqj said:
OK,

Louisiana has this LATIE radio system on 700 mcs, trunked. So far, all I see is agencies
in SOUTH Louisiana. Once again, NORTH Louisiana, especially NORTHWEST LA is left out.
Somethings never change.

I talked to an individual with State Police, a few months back and he said that the whole state will be on it. As usual it's the money issue
red8

kevins669

Database Admin
ka5lqj said:
OK,

Somethings never change.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50165&page=11

Go read the top of this page.

The state had to start somewhere; why not start south of I-10, where hurricanes pose a yearly need for interoperability?

I think they have reached Avoyelles... Don't worry... N. LA is coming.

-- Kevin

gpswx4cster

Don't worry...be happy

LATIE was quickly started down south after Hurricane Katrina and with the help of FEMA. If you will notice the first LSP Troops to come on line are all along the coast and are affected by tropical weather. The monies have been allocated to complete the North region by the Governor. So I would look for your region to be on within the next year.

Gary Shuford​

Pimpala03

Patience. Don't get in a big rush for this. This is government. They will take their time.

LATIE was supposed to start in Monroe but, was focused on the Katrina areas once all of that happened. I'd look for it up around I-20 in the next year.

bpckty1

As stated above, it takes time to engineer, purchase the equipment/towers (as necessary), test, etc.

The schedule is great for scannists in the northern parts of the state. So, unless you can find a wizard like those in "Harry Potter" or an alchemist, just have patience, and set aside your pennies to purchase a P-25 capable trunking scanner.

Landman

I think it's pretty cool to just sit here in Lafayette and hear all kinds of agencies across the state pop up from time to time on the Lafayette tower. Many of the agencies I hear are over 100 miles away.

Pimpala03

If every agency (that uses LATIE) statewide is available 100% of the time across each tower in the future... I forsee my L/O talkgroup function being utilized frequently.:cool:

Landman

They wont be all available at the same time. It is a smartzone system. Each talkgroup is only active on a particular tower if there is a user radio affiliated with that tower actually set on that talkgroup. There are not enough frequencies per tower to allow all talkgroups to be active simultaneously. This method is actually a very efficient use of radio spectrum because only a fraction of frequencies are needed per tower versus a conventional system which would need a different frequency per channel. One thing is for sure if you are trying to decide which brand to buy, u or gre, consider 200 channel per system limit with u versus 1800 with gre. This system has about 700 talkgroups in the database so far and is still rapidly growning.

On another note, Latie definitely does not suck. I have on several occasions driven over 300 miles in one day to various places in Louisiana and brought my scanner with me. With only a 1/4 wave 3 and 1/2 inch long antenna I was able to get 95% unbroken coverage. Try that with the 800 MHz state system. Yeah right. Aint gonna happen. Between Lafayette and Jennings I get about 50% coverage and most of that is with bad static. I have tried all sorts of scanner/antenna combinations and this is the best that I get. Better antennas overload the scanner with interference, lesser antennas leave big gaps in coverage. Between Lafayette and Baton Rouge there are so many cell towers along the interstate that I get about 50% coverage there too and most of that has bad static as well. With 700 MHz I get clear communications with no cell site interference and its nice to be able to use a little shorty antenna without having to change and experiment all the time. Downtown Baton Rouge is RF hell for 800 MHz. I need to the attenuator most of the time and I have to keep moving the scanner around in the car to deal with the cellular interference. With 700 MHz Latie - no problem. Set it and forget it. What is also nice about Latie is that not only are they installing the 700 MHz equipment at almost all of the existing 800 sites but they are adding many new sites as well for much better coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.