Whats Your Favoriate Public Safety System?

Whats Your Favoriate System?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum will be about your favoritate public safety system. What I am talking about is that is it a P25 system, EDACS, or OpenSky. It can be a phase 1 or 2 P25 system. Post why you like the system or why you dont like it. State the reason why you voted for that system.

Last edited:

fasteddy64

I voted for EDACS because that is the one I have the most experience with.

Our city has been on an EDACS system since 2007 and contrary to what many might say about EDACS it has been fantastic. Not one system outage since it went live, it exceeds our needs as far as capacity and provides coverage over an area way beyond what we need. I cant say enough good things about it.

I voted for EDACS because that is the one I have the most experience with.

Our city has been on an EDACS system since 2007 and contrary to what many might say about EDACS it has been fantastic. Not one system outage since it went live, it exceeds our needs as far as capacity and provides coverage over an area way beyond what we need. I cant say enough good things about it.

I forgot to add EDACS Provoice. Is that system a regular EDACS or a EDACS Provoice?

I selected P25 Phase 1. It works, it's effective, a majority of the noise issues have been worked out, it's available for trunking and conventional, and when people stick to the standard and not implement proprietary embellishments, it fosters open, competitive procurement.

The drawback is that for one reason or another (we'll probably never know the straight story - my bet's on marketing more than anything else), the equipment is substantially more costly than other similar items.

I would have selected DMR, but its marketing here in the US was not intended to be for public safety. It also works, it's effective, and so forth. Unfortunately, when implemented on VHF, it is not friendly to incumbent licensees as transmitters stay up for prolonged periods of time, and this tends to limit incumbent system effectiveness (everyone's output is someone else's input or simplex channel).

In the same line of thinking, you may have wanted to include TETRA. It's 4/TDMA and is proven to work elsewhere in the world, even in public safety applications.

And, LTE as an RF transport medium. It's coming.

I selected P25 Phase 1. It works, it's effective, a majority of the noise issues have been worked out, it's available for trunking and conventional, and when people stick to the standard and not implement proprietary embellishments, it fosters open, competitive procurement.

The drawback is that for one reason or another (we'll probably never know the straight story - my bet's on marketing more than anything else), the equipment is substantially more costly than other similar items.

I would have selected DMR, but its marketing here in the US was not intended to be for public safety. It also works, it's effective, and so forth. Unfortunately, when implemented on VHF, it is not friendly to incumbent licensees as transmitters stay up for prolonged periods of time, and this tends to limit incumbent system effectiveness (everyone's output is someone else's input or simplex channel).

In the same line of thinking, you may have wanted to include TETRA. It's 4/TDMA and is proven to work elsewhere in the world, even in public safety applications.

And, LTE as an RF transport medium. It's coming.

I didnt add TETRA because I am not famililer with that kind of system.

photoguy2

Analog, NexEdge, IDAS, lots missing
I was going to say. My fav would probably still be Type II. But I'm still not comfortable with digital for wide area PS, so that's expected.

If we have to go digital, Phase 1.

This forum will be about your favoritate public safety system. What I am talking about is that is it a P25 system, EDACS, or OpenSky. It can be a phase 1 or 2 P25 system. Post why you like the system or why you dont like it. State the reason why you voted for that system.

I forgot to say what I would vote for. It would be P25 Phase 1 and EDACS. I have had trouble setting up EDACS before so I kinda do like it and then I dont.

12dbsinad

Anything proprietary I will not be voting on, including everything that is listed. TRBO was never marketed for public safety use, and P25 is good if it follows the standard in every way. Which is hardly the case. Millions are spent here foolishly, yet police and fire in some areas can't afford staffing, or in some cases "gas for the cruisers". Digital modes need to follow the path of PL and DPL, standard across all brands. But, we all know that will never happen, because it makes sense.

rapidcharger

Anthony,
Analog conventional has proven itself over decades for public safety. That is what I like to see public safety using as public safety agencies are funded by tax receipts and the budgets are already tight as benefits are cut to responders and pay is stagnant.

I don't like anything on that list as it represents waste in government spending, corruption and stupidity.

Anthony,
Analog conventional has proven itself over decades for public safety. That is what I like to see public safety using as public safety agencies are funded by tax receipts and the budgets are already tight as benefits are cut to responders and pay is stagnant.

I don't like anything on that list as it represents waste in government spending, corruption and stupidity.

I have also always liked analog too :D. But sometimes I like a system to hear talkgroups and pickup certain towers like Starcom21.

joeuser

The Wretched
P25p1, as a listener it has opened my listening far & wide. When local governments used just VHF the range was quite limited & being in a valley I had further issues. Now with the new TRS's we have it's just given me a lot more to listen to. I love it!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
My favorite is "conventional". If I have to pick from the flavors of trunked, I'll take EDACS. The reason is that there's no "look up table" to convert from channel number to frequency (unlike MOT). I'll pick something older over something newer until listeners like us have the equipment to monitor.

hitechRadio

My favorite is "conventional". If I have to pick from the flavors of trunked, I'll take EDACS. The reason is that there's no "look up table" to convert from channel number to frequency (unlike MOT). I'll pick something older over something newer until listeners like us have the equipment to monitor.

The question was what digital system do you prefer. Pretty simple question.

Status
Not open for further replies.