What's your favorite scanner, 2 way radio, or pager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This post is simple, The first question is "What is your favorite police scanner and/or 2-Way Radio/Pager?", The 2nd question is "Why?". You can list a few of your favorites if you’d like to.

To start with the scanners.......

My first favorite is the Uniden BCD396T because it is so small and has dynamically allocated channels, Also it has fire tone out-(I really do wish they’d made that feature usable while scanning other channels). I also like it because of the blue display light and the fact that it was cheaper when it came out than the first few Uniden digitals.

My 2nd favorite is the RadioShack PRO-95, I like it because it was able to catch the splinter frequencies that the older 900MHz analog cordless phones used, That wasn’t the only reason, I like it because it had a nice sized display and as far as I can remember, The light was green.

I also like the Uniden BC250D, Mainly because it was the the first digital trunk-tracker to come out to the public, And that’s what I needed at the time to monitor my local police force, as they run on the CSP digital/trunked 800MHz system......That is still the case.

Now on to the 2-Way Radios and pagers.

My absolute favorite 2 way radios that I have ever owned were my Motorola Sabers with DES modules and a Key-Loader. Simply put, If I didn’t want someone to be able to monitor my communications, IT WASN’T GOING TO HAPPEN, Not only that, But these radios looked pretty cool with lapel mics-(Or without them. Unfortunately I had to sell them on eBay because I didn’t need them anymore, But in February of 2009 I will be purchasing 2 Motorola ASTRO sabers with DES or DES-XL modules and a Key-Loader for them.

My 2nd favorite 2-Way Radio was my Motorola HT1000 (UHF) with man-down button and fire tone-out, It also had the audible ID’er, I used this to MONITOR my local EMS crew (RX ONLY!!!). I also used this radio to talk on FRS/Other UHF public use frequencies, Sadly, This radio was also sold on eBay because I don’t need it anymore.

My favorite pager that I ever owned was the minitor III by Motorola. I could pick up towns from about 20 or 30 miles away, It worked great and acutally alerted my to a fully involved structure fire down the road one time.

Now I want to know about everyone else's favorites.

prcguy

My favorite radio of all time is the Harris PRC-138 HF/VHF manpack. Its not really for the scanner enthusiast, but its a dream to operate on HF amateur bands 160 through 6m and has full DSP IF BW selection, auto antenna tuner, digital voice, digital and analog encryption, frequency hopping, yada yada. My second favorite would be the Racal/Thales MBITR series hand held. It covers 30 to 512MHz continuous with no gaps in AM and FM with 100 channels and scan. Here is a pic of a PRC-138 and MBITR (legal to own export version) in a grab and go pack that gives continuous transmit and receive coverage from 1.6 to 512MHz in 10Hz steps.
prcguy

Last edited:

Portable14

Banned
bfeeny said:
What is special about the Pro-95 with regard to cordless, aren't they just regular 900mhz channels that any uniden, etc could pick up?

I'm not really sure what made it special, It just seemed to pick up more cordless phones in the 900MHz than any of the other scanners I've owned since.....Maybe it's because that MOST never phones have dss/frequency hopping and all that fancy stuff.

jakegday

Banned
out of my signatures list of scanners, the bcd396t happens to be my favorite, and if you know what those other scanners are you wont need to ask why

pogbobo

it's a toss up between my bct15 and my kenwood tk-3160 ... i do miss my pro97 tho

NYRHKY94

For me, it's the new GRE PSR-600. The capability of programming the NAC in for digital only reception, was the feature that I desired the most and GRE delivered it and more.

key2_altfire

prcguy said:
My favorite radio of all time is the Harris PRC-138 HF/VHF manpack.

DUUUUUUUDE that is an AWESOME radio. I have some Harris brochures on that thing, what a sweet machine!!

Back to the original question. My fave radio is the Icom IC-R5. I like my Yaesu VX-170 handheld ham radio but there are a lot more radios out there so I'm hesitant to call it my "favorite" until I've had time to play the field a little more.

hoser147

I would have to go with the GRE 600, its one hot scanner, 2nd to none on scanning and GRE has made a great scanner even better with staying on top of things with updates and a great support site, with answers to any concerns within 24 hours...............Hoser

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I was just thinking about what was my all time favorite scanner and I figured I’d see I’d if there was a post about favorites. My favorite of all time is from when scanning was much more simple. Mine has to be the bc9000xlt. The sound was great , the reception distance was unbeatable , the screen was nice and big and I think it was one of the first with alpha numeric display. I purchased it when it first came out and kept it until a few years ago. I sold it to help pay for a HP 1. I wish it didn’t become obsolete in my area cause it was a great scanner.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I was just thinking about what was my all time favorite scanner and I figured I’d see I’d if there was a post about favorites. My favorite of all time is from when scanning was much more simple. Mine has to be the bc9000xlt. The sound was great , the reception distance was unbeatable , the screen was nice and big and I think it was one of the first with alpha numeric display. I purchased it when it first came out and kept it until a few years ago. I sold it to help pay for a HP 1. I wish it didn’t become obsolete in my area cause it was a great scanner.

Wow! 9 year old thread. How do you people find these???

Status
Not open for further replies.