• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What's your favorite Special Alert Tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talexhill

Since a new semester starts this week, I've decided to make my special alert tone even more annoying for when I set it to pager while in class.

What do you all have yours set to?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-14 at 9.10.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-14 at 9.10.51 PM.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,269

ttiiggy

I have wanted to make up some different pager alerts.
Here are my parameters to write a tune with:

Attachments

• tones.jpg
    tones.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,137

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When you're in class, your pager should be off. You could end up with a lot of issues being thrown your way, otherwise. (By both the school and your agency.)

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
2650Hz (2500Hz on the Kenwoods) on for 50ms, 0Hz for 60ms repeated.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since a new semester starts this week, I've decided to make my special alert tone even more annoying for when I set it to pager while in class.

VIBRATE.... because I'm not about drawing unneeded attention to myself. ;)
Your school CAN order you not have it in class, how annoying would that be to you?

n9zas

talexhill

VIBRATE.... because I'm not about drawing unneeded attention to myself. ;)
Your school CAN order you not have it in class, how annoying would that be to you?

n9zas

Vibrate? An NX-300 doesn't vibrate...

My school won't order me to disable my radio during class. I'm a first responder on campus 24/7, I respond not only to my Fire Departments calls, but to medical calls on campus.

You're a public servant to the community - no professor is going to tell me to turn my radio off. What if it's their child who was in a car wreck?

talexhill

When you're in class, your pager should be off. You could end up with a lot of issues being thrown your way, otherwise. (By both the school and your agency.)

A lot of issues? I think not. My agency wants me to respond, that's the point of being dispatch.

My school is highly supportive - we're slowing starting something similar to VT Rescue in Blacksburg, VA.

You all seem so negative...

OCO

......You all seem so negative...

Maybe because you didn't lead off with the fact you're a first responder (just ASSumed everyone would pick up on it), but instead started with "Since a new semester starts this week, I've decided to make my special alert tone even more annoying for when I set it to pager while in class." Do you like maybe tap dance on your way out of class too, in drawing attention to your mission? ;)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

My school won't order me to disable my radio during class. I'm a first responder on campus 24/7, I respond not only to my Fire Departments calls, but to medical calls on campus.

You're a public servant to the community - no professor is going to tell me to turn my radio off. What if it's their child who was in a car wreck?

You might be a first responder....but setting your pager to anything other than a discrete alert while in class is rude! Making a professional exit when "toned out" is a sign of a good medic! The Journal of Emergency Medicine is an excellent responder magazine, give it a read. ;)

n9zas

code3cowboy

Depending on the law, your prof may be the ultimate authority. If their child was in a crash, the guys on the Engine, Rescue, Ambulance, Black and Whites. . . would respond.

I will not bash you as I completely can relate however when you are at school, be serious about school, dont be that guy. I was "that" guy for a while, and I paid for it by taking substantially longer to graduate and with my reputation. While I have some cool stories and experiences, I regret being an 19 year old pompous *** with a siren. Getting on with the Feds the first time made me think I was the greatest thing in the world. My transcript still carries a pair of F grades from that semester from a Political Science Professor my job (authority, cool factor in BDUs and Oakleys, Pelican Cases of toys) did not save me from.

911 jobs are great, cool, fun, and fulfilling however Emergency Service today is not what it was when we were growing up. Hold you head high and be a responder your peers and community respect and trust. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about doing EMS/Fire during college, I am fixing to graduate shortly but we are in the same boat.

That having been said, I like 2100Hz/500Hz alternating 5 bursts of each for 100 milliseconds. I have that pattern cycle 4 times with a 4 second delay between cycles as my pager. For my more discrete uppity alert, I use 700Hz (100ms) then silence alternating with 1000Hz (70ms each) for a total of seven tones alternating with six silent periods. I can use that in class, meetings, or when available in training and it is pleasant and uppity.

Best of luck this semester and in your career goals man.

Methus

I like 400Hz for 700ms with 1500Hz for 300ms, 2 cycles at 1s interval. It's somewhat similar to the alert tone they have at my local ambulance district when Station 1 gets toned out for a call. I thought it was neat so I tried to replicate it. Meh...

Mikado

Don't limit yourself to just an annoying tone. If you know how to read sheet music, why not program a short song or melody? Here's a site that shows you the hertz for each note on the scale: Frequencies of Musical Notes. So the question is... what is the song that annoys you most? (or at least would annoy everyone around you)

Status
Not open for further replies.