Whats your favourite scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Whats your favourite scanner radio shack sold??

Mine is def PRO-51 .. It is double conversation and to be honest THE BEST they had as it isnt a Tandy board...

I still have mine.... And I recently ordered one from ebay although its not very good..... (The light is DIM and it just isnt very good)

Whats your fav and do ya still have it?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
No one model can be my favorite. Each type of listening requires a different radio. If I had to pick one, it would be the PSR-510; except that model doesn't exist. It would have been the next model (PSR-500 with PSR-310/410 LCD) had GRE not gone out of business.

If I am monitoring analog, especially with CTCSS/DCS; it would be the PSR-310/410.
If I am monitoring conventional P25 or trunked that is not Phase II (incl DMR/etc) and not multi-site; it would be the PSR-500/600.
If I am monitoring P25 multi-site it's the SDS-100/200.

Engine104

Member since 2005
That's a tough one. I agree with "gmclam". I don't really have a favorite. I just cleaned up and put my Pro2006 back in service. It still works great for non-trunked analog systems, and we still have a lot of that in L.A. My Pro162 is hard to beat for that as well, and it is amazing for milair. The Pro96 was my first and still my only digital scanner. It still works great too. I use it mainly for LAPD and ICI.

Once the new P25 phase 2 systems come online in a year or two here, I'll need something new, but for now, these oldies still rock!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Whats your favourite scanner radio shack sold??

Mine is def PRO-51 .. It is double conversation and to be honest THE BEST they had as it isnt a Tandy board...

I still have mine.... And I recently ordered one from ebay although its not very good..... (The light is DIM and it just isnt very good)

Whats your fav and do ya still have it?
Tandy never had their own manufacturing. Both GRE and Uniden made the scanners they sold. My favorite is the IC-R30. Everything sounds good and the flexibility is great.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP posted this in the Radio Shack Scanners forum, I assume that he meant "What is your favorite Radio Shack-branded scanner?"

DJ11DLN

Hard to decide between the Pro-18, which was my first digital trunking scanner (after years absent from scanning) and the Pro-197 I picked up a year later. Both were on close-out following the Grecom withdrawal and I thought I got a good deal on the -18 for a little under $300...but then I got the -197 for all of $86 out the door. Of course I had to make a ca. 150 mile round trip to get it...

The nod goes to the -197. I have no LSM close to where I live and it still has the cleanest FDMA decode and the clearest audio of any "modern" scanner I've been around. Pity it will become obsolete in the indeterminate future when Safe-T finally goes to TDMA. :cautious:

bkantor

My favorite RS Scanner was the Pro-43 - best, most sensitive handheld I had purchased. I still have my original one, but it sits silently for now due to my current obsession with the SDS-200. Second runner up is the RS Pro-2004. I still have that + a 2005 and 2006. Those were great desktops and the 2004 still has one of the coolest designs of any RS scanner.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
No one model can be my favorite. Each type of listening requires a different radio. If I had to pick one, it would be the PSR-510; except that model doesn't exist. It would have been the next model (PSR-500 with PSR-310/410 LCD) had GRE not gone out of business.

If I am monitoring analog, especially with CTCSS/DCS; it would be the PSR-310/410.
If I am monitoring conventional P25 or trunked that is not Phase II (incl DMR/etc) and not multi-site; it would be the PSR-500/600.
If I am monitoring P25 multi-site it's the SDS-100/200.
I was hoping for the PSR-510 also. So much so I swapped guts from my 310 and 500. Too bad the display board didn’t swap or work out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping for the PSR-510 also. So much so I swapped guts from my 310 and 500. Too bad the display board didn’t swap or work out.
Making the hardware work is one thing, the bigger issue is having firmware to run it.

ridgescan

I bought a Pro2066 many years ago, I think around 2007 from an estate sale and it's been in my truck all these years. It does a fine job on 800 with SFPD/fire working off a glass mounted Larsen Tribander. One word; reliable. I don't think there are many 2066s out there anymore so I got a gem. Great radio.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
A tie for the Pro 60 & 62; I bought them used from Grove Ent about 10 yrs ago. They run 24/7; Pro 62 on the RR freqs; Pro 60 on Civ/Milair. They only get turned off when taking them on vacation.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG 0096

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Pro-106 - I enjoy it so much I purchased the GRE and Whistler branded versions. Two in use and one as backup. They have been on 24/7 for years and being able to remotely control/monitor via the Internet using Win500 server and client software is really what makes it my favorite.

6079smithw

As others have said, too many to mention... I'd nominate my old BCT7 analog. Got it around 1997 or so when I was hauling freight up and down
99 in CA and I-80 between Reno and the Bay area. Excellent 42-47 mHz sensitivity (CHP & CalTrans) then 800 mHz when CalTrans Dist. 3 switched
over. Other than having to re-solder the BNC antenna lead to the PCB and replace the speaker a couple of times due to spilled coffee etc. it has
been 100% reliable... outlived a couple of trucks it was mounted in! I'm retired now and the unit sits on my workbench in the garage as a rail and
aircraft monitor. Thing will probably outlive me lol... ;)

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
PRO-106 and 197 here... the 106 is my go-to workhorse handheld scanner; I'll pick it over my my TRX-1 every time. The 197 has been on 24/7 providing my feed for over five years... and before that was in my car for five years, another workhorse.

GregOH

I think I like the Pro-651 the best due to being digital however, I'm using a Pro-135 at home listening to conventional channels I'm able to get while witing on a new Whistler WS-1040 and a Pro-51 at work because there's alot of conventional frequencies being used in that area.

Of all of my scanners, I spent the most hours of enjoyment with my PRO 2004, modified for 400 channels, Cellular (Open at the time) and Turbo scan rate.

I took it with me wherever I went and often times fell asleep listening to late night cell phone calls and "Bootie Calls"..

The phone calls were more entertaining than the cops and fire calls. :ROFLMAO:

I used to be able to receive non-secure calls from Air Force 1. (George Bush flew overhead on his way to Maine)

There was a steady carrier on 306MHz when he was airborne.

It's still a great scanner!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.