wheel protection against brake dust

I installed Hawk pads on my truck and they dust a lot. I'm not looking for new brake pads but instead a product that can help deter dust from sticking to my Helo wheels. Maybe wax or sealant? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I used to try, but I never found anything that worked. Any moisture on the wheels (it gets foggy here) and any bit of brake dust was an issue.

I know there was a company that made some shields that went between the hub and the wheel that would provide some protection, but not sure if they really helped. I used to get tired of cleaning the brake dust on the nice aluminum wheels. Finally went with steel wheels on my last purchase.

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Extra brake dust is the trade-off you made when you bought aftermarket "high performance" brake pads. OEM pads from most manufacturers are designed to provide acceptable stopping power with a minimum of dust. Do you really need those Hawk pads?

Be careful with the brake dust shields. They may not provide enough airflow and might make the brakes more prone to overheating. If you drive in heavy traffic or mountainous terrain or you tow a trailer, this could be a concern.

The best solution for brake dust, IMHO, is to wash the vehicle periodically. In general, the vehicles I see with a heavy amount of brake dust on the wheels are the vehicles that are rarely, if ever, washed.

Looks like there's no real solution to sticky brake dust. I will just use wax to make my wheels easier to clean.

In my opinion there's no other way but to keep 'em clean. On my two vehicles, I never allow brake dust to accumulate enough to be "baked" onto the wheels. The original aluminum wheels on my 2001 Tacoma still look brand-new, including the plastic center caps.
Simply it's because of my practices of that standard:)