wheeling and ohio co new freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
today i was at work monotoring the wheeling trunked traffic and I heard a conversation that had to do with scheduling wheeling's vehicles for new radio instelation to begin next monday.
I am wondering if this might have to do with the plans to go digital or reband the freq's , not to long ago there was an article in the local paper that had to do with the instellation of a new radio tower and a freq's change for ohio co.
dose anyone have any info with regard to the possible changes and what they might be?thanks Paul1

Mylan

Feed Provider
I doubt City of WHG will join the state system any time in the near future..... I know Belmont county has been rebanding their radios lately but Ida know about weather WHG has been also

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I doubt City of WHG will join the state system any time in the near future..... I know Belmont county has been rebanding their radios lately but Ida know about weather WHG has been also

Last I heard, a lot of work was being done on Ohio Co, City of Wheeling, and Belmont radios as well as Jefferson as far as preparing for the rebanding, etc.

The new radios are part of the rebanding process in those areas. All of the aforementioned systems that are to be rebanded are going to have new equipment. Whether it adds additional features such as digital remains to be seen. I think all the radios in Jefferson at least are able to be run on analog and digital systems, and I would guess that's the way it is with Wheeling too. Belmont's radio system is already a digital/analog combo.

I don't know how soon that means they'll switch over to the rebanded frequencies - it takes quite a while for installation/replacement of all those radios if you can imagine.

Mike

durango5550

Booger D.
As far as I know Wheeling has not gone 100% digital and doesn't have any plans to in the near future. Of course we all know they have laptops in the cruisers ( that they dont use very often cause of poor performance ) I haven't heard to much about Ohio county. I do know that all the radios in the crusiers need replaced ( sheriff and police ) due to being old spectras that cant be reflashed.

I can tell you that they have reprogrammed all the radios in Belmont county ( they just got done with our fire department radios ) so as soon as all the reprogramming and new radios replace the ones that cant be reflashed the rebanding will be completed.

I not sure of the status in Jefferson county , I do know that most of their equipment were spectras , lcs portables and very few MTS portables ( MTS portables could be reflashed depending on the radio setup ) But as far as the spectras and the LCS radios they all need replaced. Time consuming process for Staley's

Not all the equipment is being replaced mtindor , just the stuff that can't be reflashed ( Spectras , LCS , LTS , etc.)

Later all
Dan

Last edited:

Mylan

Feed Provider
today i was at work monotoring the wheeling trunked traffic and I heard a conversation that had to do with scheduling wheeling's vehicles for new radio instelation to begin next monday.
I am wondering if this might have to do with the plans to go digital or reband the freq's , not to long ago there was an article in the local paper that had to do with the instellation of a new radio tower and a freq's change for ohio co.
dose anyone have any info with regard to the possible changes and what they might be?thanks Paul1

after reading this post again....

The city of Wheeling is simply rebanding their system- not changing to digital BUT the Ohio County Sheriff and Ohio County fire ARE in fact going to "go digital" sometime in the near future once they get the new WV state system installed in the dispatch ctr. and at the new and existing tower sites.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Heard this P25 system last night:

N240 W:BEE00 Sy:247 R:001 S:001

I can only surmise it's a West Virginia system - the information it reports doesn't jive with anything listed as belonging to WVIRP.

Ohio Co has this as well as other frequencies listed as associated with it as county frequencies.

Somebody down that way may want to plug 453.4375 in and give a listen for P25 trunked data.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Heard this P25 system last night:

N240 W:BEE00 Sy:247 R:001 S:001

Mike

I guess this could be a WVIRP site in Welch, WV (McDowell Co), but I'd find it hard to believe i was hearing it on the handheld - propogation everywhere else wasn't at some alltime high or anything.

And 453.4375 is a frequency licensed by Ohio County Commission for the county system.

I don't see any reference in the RRDB to tell what the NAC/WACN/SYS for WVIRP is to compare it to that.

So if you're in Ohio Co - give a listen (esp Paul1, who has a PSR-500) on 453.4375 and see if you get a P25 control channel.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hmm, in reference to my above posts, the WVIRP listening in the RRDB does show the Ohio Co multicast system (site 108) has a freq of 453.4375, but WVIRP sys id is 170. So this isn't going to be WVIRP.

Hope somebody in Ohio Co can elaborate further. I'll be monitoring.

Mike

Last edited:

dr400

Hmm, in reference to my above posts, the WVIRP listening in the RRDB does show the Ohio Co multicast system (site 108) has a freq of 453.4375, but WVIRP sys id is 170. So this isn't going to be WVIRP.

Hope somebody in Ohio Co can elaborate further. I'll be monitoring.

Mike

If I get some time, I'll try and put it into my radio. Haven't listened to the local WVIRP for months since there's little local interest in same. Months ago I heard a control channel and if memory is correct some traffic from Harrison County (WV). Within the past two weeks I saw the site at the Highlands (Cabella exit on I-70) had antennas in place and looked fairly complete, if not actually finished.

Just punched it up on a conventional scanner and I can hear it (data) so one day next week I'll get at the P-25 scanner and see what I hear.

Dale

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If I get some time, I'll try and put it into my radio. Haven't listened to the local WVIRP for months since there's little local interest in same. Months ago I heard a control channel and if memory is correct some traffic from Harrison County (WV). Within the past two weeks I saw the site at the Highlands (Cabella exit on I-70) had antennas in place and looked fairly complete, if not actually finished.

Just punched it up on a conventional scanner and I can hear it (data) so one day next week I'll get at the P-25 scanner and see what I hear.

Dale

Sounds good Dale, thanks for the confirmation. I can only hear the system here if I am sitting out on the back porch - and since the system is just being constructed and there [guessing] probably isn't much radio traffic on it even for testing purposes, it wouldn't be worth my waste of time to sweat out ont he back porch for hours listening to nothing rofl.

I will check it from time to time as i get a chance though.

Mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
So I punched in the system in search mode and az of yet, not gettin any voice channels BUT i'll leave it in and sooner or later I bet therez gonna b some testin goin' down....

ON another note as dale says, the new tower on CR65 looks to be in service at this time BUT according to the fcc:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WQCL307
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocSum.jsp?licKey=2706206

the ohio county commision's pub safty twr is located on cruzer road, not cabela drive... as was reported by the local press this past summer.......
according to the fcc site, the new tower (stacked this year right across CR 65 from eastbound exit 10) belongs to CROWN COMMUNICATION... i checked the coordinates even

So if this infOmation is correct, the county's twr is right by the "cabela" water tank

Ova and out :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
What I can tell you is that a reputable source called the online site the "highlands" site. So I know it's up by Cabelas. Other than that, I don't know where it is. You're much more familiar with that area. I'll take your word for where the actual site is, and I'll just consider that location as replacing whichever FCC-listed site that is closest to that location.

But also keep in mind that FCC data is not near 100% correct. It could have been that when the license was originally submitted, the "planned" site location was what they listed - then at a later time they decided upon having the site at a different location.

But I would say that of the three sites the FCC database lists, the site that is online should be cconsidered whichever site [in the FCC database] that is closest to cabelas.

So at this point, after listening today, the three frequenccies I know of that are indeed part of the system are .3125 (was a CC today), .4375 (was a CC a few days back) , and .3375 (was a VC on the system according to Pro96Com). Those are all listed on the license, so it wouldn't surprise me that eventually you'd find the other frequencies showing up as part of it. I am so PO'd that I can't get a dcent signal. I'm hoping that a West Liberty site would increase my possibilities of hearing the system reliably.

Mike

So I punched in the system in search mode and az of yet, not gettin any voice channels BUT i'll leave it in and sooner or later I bet therez gonna b some testin goin' down....

ON another note as dale says, the new tower on CR65 looks to be in service at this time BUT according to the fcc:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WQCL307
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocSum.jsp?licKey=2706206

the ohio county commision's pub safty twr is located on cruzer road, not cabela drive... as was reported by the local press this past summer.......
according to the fcc site, the new tower (stacked this year right across CR 65 from eastbound exit 10) belongs to CROWN COMMUNICATION... i checked the coordinates even

So if this infOmation is correct, the county's twr is right by the "cabela" water tank

Ova and out :)

Mylan

Feed Provider
... Still no voice action on the system.... The two new towers that I previously mentioned are both right by cabelas- the older one is north of IR 70 and the newer one is south.

dr400

New site on the south side of I-70 at the Cabela exit. Put another way, across the street from the Highlands.

Dale

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Last edited:

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Ohio County and wheeling freq's

ok people I have been monotoring the known Ohio co. freq's and the wheeling freq's every day at work and home ,since this is my turf ,I know that they are getting ready to make a moove because there has been traffic from the call center with regard to staley communications eithaer reprograming or installing equipment there. I have not heard anything new on any other freq's but would like info on the rebanding of wheeling and the digital in Ohio cowhen it becomes avaliable . I listen and keep all posted if anything shakes! Thanks Paul1

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
ok people I have been monotoring the known Ohio co. freq's and the wheeling freq's every day at work and home ,since this is my turf ,I know that they are getting ready to make a moove because there has been traffic from the call center with regard to staley communications eithaer reprograming or installing equipment there. I have not heard anything new on any other freq's but would like info on the rebanding of wheeling and the digital in Ohio cowhen it becomes avaliable . I listen and keep all posted if anything shakes! Thanks Paul1

Paul,

Being that it is your turf, you'd likely know that a site is using rebanded frequencies before others. The RRDB for Wheeling Public Safety lists all of the frequencies (current and rebanded). If you have all of the frequencies programmed into your scanner, the changeover will likely be quite transparent to you unless some specific bandplan has to be programmed in for that system.

If you want to know exactly when it happens, you shoudl program the 851.xxxx, 852.xxxx, 853.xxxx frequencies into some conventional bank in your scanner and scan them. Once you start hearing traffic or a control channel on them, you know it has been rebanded.

I personally don't have enough familiarity with P25 systems to know if you'll have to do anything after rebanding. The Ohio County 450/460 and the WVIRP aren't going to switch to new frequencies. My guess is that nothing will happen to those. The rebanding should only be a concern for 800 mhz systems (Wheeling Public Safety, Belmont Co and Jefferson Co).

As soon as I notice something change, I will post if someone else hasn't already . I'm sure the others in your area like DR400, Mylan and Dawson as well as yourself would likely be the first ones to know when things have changed.

Mike

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Ohio Co & Wheeling freq's

Ok thanks mike i just programed the rebanded freq's for wheeling and have programmed the state freq's into my psr500 vie the ARC500 SOFTWARE. thanks for the help. How do i find out if there are any fellow scanner personell in my area that might be able to get togather on a one on one discussion about our radio capabilities and local freq's ? paul1

ps this radio is the best radio i have ever had and i just know that there are features avaliable in it that i personally cannot understand. I am looking for any help I can get and i will share any info i have or can get. thanks again .Paul1

durango5550

Booger D.
Hey Paul.

Dan here ( Dawson75 ) I dont use a scanner but I do listen to all the systems here in the valley ( minus the new OCSD digtal setup ) my radio gear is programmed with the old freqs and the new rebanded freqs so when they switch over I won't notice anything. As far as getting together that would be cool , Id like to meet you , mylan , DR400 and a few others that listen in our area. Make arrangement ( prefer Sundays ) and I'll be there. If you need help with your scanner I am very familar with all the functions. Seeings where I live I get alot of interference from the tower close by my home, so I use moto gear ( save the speaches people I know the pros and cons :) )

All my info comes from the info available to us from public records. I also know a few people who work at belmont county 911. So when I hear a switchover date I will be sure to let everyone here know about it, but as I said earlier you guys with the scanners will know probally before I do.

Later all

Status
Not open for further replies.