When is the FCC database updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

Well I can answer a few questions now.

1. Yes it updates though the day. Mine appeared at about 2PM yesterday.

2. My Xmas magic appears to have come though for me!

3. I'm happy now.

That is all.
Awesome!

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

The FCC updates their own database overnight (around 2AM ET) after each business day. That means there are no updates on Sunday, Monday or the day after a federal holiday.

This seems to be what I've observed.

The guy who gave me my paperwork said it would probably be a week to ten days before a callsign showed up on my FRN account. The paperwork seems to require actual physical mailing via USPS. I have repeatedly read that it takes two days after the testing to get a callsign, which is obviously no longer the case. I don't understand where that came from. Did they used to do online filing or something?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Some VECs require that their VE teams send the entire packet of paperwork back to the VEC's home office after a test session. Staffers at the VEC then review the paperwork and prepare a batch upload to the FCC for processing and license issuance. Given the time delay in sending the packet through the mail, reviewing the packet, and transmitting the data to the FCC, it might take a week for your license to be issued.

Other VECs push this processing off onto their VE teams. They expect the VE team to review the paperwork from the test session and upload a results file to the VEC. The VEC then merges each VE teams results file into a composite file that is uploaded to the FCC for processing and license issuance. This is how some VE teams are able to give a test on Saturday and have the new licenses appear in the FCC's database on Monday.

There is no method for an amateur radio licensee to apply directly to the FCC for a new or upgraded license. It must go through a VEC. OTOH, address changes and license renewals can be processed directly through the FCC's web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.