When to purchase 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki6asp

Premium Subscriber
That is also my question. For example, are the BCD536HP radios currently being sold by HRO the updated version (i.e. headphone issue repaired)?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We have no visibility into dealer inventory. Everything we are shipping to distributors, now, has either been reworked or was correct from the factory.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's a pretty tough question to answer.

There are two primary issues that have been discussed. One seems to have been resolved - the headphone audio problem. The other is when the scanner is connected to a computer with the USB cable, it wants to jump from Serial Port to Mass Storage Mode.

If you will do things requiring the scanner to be in Serial Port mode, that can be problematic. Whether this is a hardware issue or firmware issue hasn't been said (Uniden hasn't even said they are looking into this matter - there was supposedly a firmware update to deal with that, but I and others still experience the problem).

The Siren App hasn't been finalized. There will be some updates needed to the WIFI dongle whenever that comes out as I understand. And I imagine with the Siren App being something new, there are bound to be bugs. I'm not being negative - such things are facts of life.

However, I believe Uniden is a responsive company and will address issues, they may not do so as quickly as some folks would like, but eventually they do.

These days scanners are like mini-computers. It seems that there are always some patches to operating systems or something "new and exciting" on the horizon. Waiting until the last thing falls into place, might be lengthy.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Defect free??? How do you define "defect"??? An unrealistic and unfair question... geez.

Last edited:

divison200

Uniden bcd536hp

I purchased one from HRO in Salem, NH. on Feb. 27,2014. I have put the radio through the paces and the radio works fine.......

smithken

Premium Subscriber
When to purchase the 536, and be assured, it would be defect free?

Never. When you manufacture thousands or millions of a certain product there are always going to be defects, that's why they have warranties.

bama9999

I purchased mine a few days ago from Gigaparts in Huntsville AL, and would have purchased it sooner if I could have. It's a great scanner, and I'm hearing stuff on it that's not possible on my other digital scanner, a Radio Shack Pro197. Mine has switched from serial to mass storage mode when using the Scanner Screen program, but when using the Butel Arc536 beta in virtual control, it's never had so much as a hiccup.

As the old advertising logo used to say, "Try it, you'll like it!" :)

oldradios

Given that the 536 warranty has been extended to three years for those serial numbers below 02600(last 5 digits), I would buy now if I could find one in that serial number range. .. My 2 cents..

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

jeffa2000

Serial Number Range Question

So, are the 4700-series mid-digits serial numbers units (that seem to be on the shelves currently) post-issue-factory-fresh-production scanners or reworked-corrected units (despite also having <2600 ending serial numbers)? The 3800-series appeared to be the problem units, no? I just want to finally get my two new units heading my way sans problems and want to ensure production line fresh, un-reopened scanners. Anyone in the know...Paul?? Thanks.

jeffa2000

Paul, thanks for taking the time to answer this. I know you're swamped. I'll tell my dealer to send me the two "4700" units awaiting my okay. :) - Jeff

W5RGP

That is also my question. For example, are the BCD536HP radios currently being sold by HRO the updated version (i.e. headphone issue repaired)?

i got my 536 at hro in phoenix about a month ago and no issues with headphone

bama9999

I need to amend my previous post. What appears to be the serial number on the box isn't what's on the radio itself.

ki6asp

Premium Subscriber
The 535 box does not have the serial number on it! HRO opened the box and the radio had a 3800xxxx serial number. I didn't want to ask them to open all of the boxes, so I'm sticking with my trusty 996T until the dust settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.