When Will a Digital Scanner be Needed - For Tulsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Though I have heard many dates (most of which have passed) in which
a digital scanner will need to listen to the Tulsa Area (TPD, TFD, OHP-Troop B)

I read a letter from the FCC that stated the City of Tulsa (KNJH431) (Tulsa Public Safety)
requested a waiver until December of 2012, but am not sure if that has anything to do
with OKWIN and actual public safety....

I am just a Tulsa-Based listener, and keep hearing all this information, but am just anxious
to know when all signals will be digital in Tulsa.. Right now I have a BC898T

N5TWB

I won't claim any special knowledge or insight to the digital implementation timeline but some are saying that you can hear some elements of digital audio from the TFD dispatch positions, even though they are still analog. I couldn't hear it when the discussion was first posted but I am definitely noticing it now. Best advice: save up, avoid the rush, get a digital capable scanner sooner rather than later.

The waiver is for re-banding of the Tulsa TRS, nothing to do with migrating to Digital. I don't think there is a firm date but as various elements of the network are moved to the digital platform is completed and throughly tested then they will switch to digital. As an example the BA OpenSky transition took over a year to implement.

mam1081

Feed Provider
I won't claim any special knowledge or insight to the digital implementation timeline but some are saying that you can hear some elements of digital audio from the TFD dispatch positions, even though they are still analog. I couldn't hear it when the discussion was first posted but I am definitely noticing it now. Best advice: save up, avoid the rush, get a digital capable scanner sooner rather than later.

My opinion is to wait to see what "digital" the system will actually use. I'd wait until more is known about how the system will be implemented before spending money, unless you just need a reason to justify a new scanner this Christmas! I think when Tulsa/the state makes the change, there will be some TDMA digital in the mix, and there is only one scanner out now that does "some" of that (psr800).

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
When this does happen, will the Talkgroups remain the same? And...will the the dispatch ( A, D and G be encrypted?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Did Anyone Notice the Tulsa System Failed A Few Nights Ago

A few nights ago, around 10pm, dispatchers could hear officers, but officers could not hear dispatch.
It lasted for about an hour. Anyone hear this?

Last edited by a moderator:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
When this does happen, will the Talkgroups remain the same? And...will the the dispatch ( A, D and G be encrypted?)

Likely no one knows. And since big boxes of money would be required and, except for free boxes of money occasionally sent by the feds, there are no boxes, it's not likely that even the OKWIN decision-makers know when let alone what the talkgroup IDs will be. :roll:

peterjmag

A few nights ago, around 10pm, dispatchers could hear officers, but officers could not hear dispatch.
It lasted for about an hour. Anyone hear this?

I heard it. The Tulsa site went down and did not go into failsafe mode so it made for some confusion for awhile. It's happened before but not in awhile.

As for the digital debate, like Peter said know one really knows and won't until the switch is made. All we have is rumors and OKWIN minutes to go by for now. So unless you have the money I would just stay with your current analog set up unless you want to listen to SID on 9N 11696. As of late that TG has been in the clear when I visit town and makes for some interesting listening.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I became aware of the system failure when TCSO started using 155.070 to communicate between units with Dispatch on the phone. As far as the Digital debate goes, if you see something you want go for it. I travel a lot and always find something Digital on my travels so having one is nice, they have a great resale value too if you take car of them and keep the box and all the paperwork that came with. I either leave the lense protective film on mine or find something to replace the factory one.

Last edited:

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I bet there so called "failsafe" mode, and wow they prepared for something like this,, would have been something to view;, reminds me of something out of a Jerry Lewis film :)

And now all the changes,,,, good Lord LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.