When will Raleigh & Cary PD stop analog signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecarol

I have searched but unable to find any info on when RPD and Cary PD will stop analog signals. Right now I get both on my Pro 92, although there are posts here several years old saying I will be unable to get them soon, but when? I don't want to buy a digital scanner until I have to. Thanks!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have searched but unable to find any info on when RPD and Cary PD will stop analog signals. Right now I get both on my Pro 92, although there are posts here several years old saying I will be unable to get them soon, but when? I don't want to buy a digital scanner until I have to. Thanks!

Welcome to RR.com mikecarol! :)
Raleigh PD has NOT been on analog for a while now. Last year they decommissioned their old UHF system and it has been reallocated for public works. I can guarantee that what you are hearing on your Pro 92 is NOT Raleigh PD as they operate in a digital only format on VIPER.
I also know it is not Wake County Sheriff as they also operate in a digital only format on VIPER.
You might be thinking about the NCSHP (Highway Patrol) who still operates in analog mode on VIPER but that will soon change.
Only other Police agency that is analog on VIPER is Apex PD and they also have plans to switch to digital.
Cary PD should be operating in a digital format sometime this year.
Considering how many public safety agencies in Wake County are already digital and the rest have plans to go digital VERY soon I would consider looking towards adding a digital scanner to your collection.
Hope this helps!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Hey Marshall since your mentioning SHP on viper, should i program their lo-band frequencies if they are simulcasting on their 800mhz? Im wanting to program in Troop D and H on my Pro 96 :)... I just cant find their C/A frequencies.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
C138NC -

Here's the link to the the NCHP low band channels ...

Department of Crime Control and Public Safety Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

In Troop H, some of the dispatching is also carried over the old high band repeaters ... 154.680 MHz / 131.8 Hz tone.

MikeCarol -

Unless you have one of the early Pro 92 scanners (firmware version 1.0), you won't be able to monitor most Motorola trunked systems once they reband. Kind of a double whami ... if the digital transition doesn't get you, rebanding will likely do you in.

mikecarol

Re-nextelbanding

C138NC -

Unless you have one of the early Pro 92 scanners (firmware version 1.0), you won't be able to monitor most Motorola trunked systems once they reband. Kind of a double whami ... if the digital transition doesn't get you, rebanding will likely do you in.

My Pro 92 is the original version, made in Japan firmware 1.0
How does that allow me the new frequency intervals? And when does that happen for Wake County? 5 years ago it was supposed to be imminent, so I sold off most of my scanners.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
My Pro 92 is the original version, made in Japan firmware 1.0
How does that allow me the new frequency intervals? And when does that happen for Wake County? 5 years ago it was supposed to be imminent, so I sold off most of my scanners.

As I said above in my 1st post any remaining Wake County Police agencies that have not yet switched to digital will be switching over this year as Wake County and VIPER continues to go through Rebanding.
99.9% of Wake County public safety agencies operate in a digital format.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Mike,

If the weather is just right.

You maybe able to pick-up Mt. Holly Police in Gaston Co.

Raleigh PD and Mt. Holly PD shared the same frequancy and same PL Tones at one time.

Mt. Holly is also simulcasting across there old 460.550 Mhz frequency and across the Mecklenburg 800 Mhz system as well. Same is true for both Gastonia and Belmont Police.

I found it odd though that two police departments having the same frequency and same PL, at some point do not get communications crossed.

It is strange in the early morning hours I can pick-up Wake County on 154.190 Mhz and I live 121 Miles from Raleigh, and I don't hear a thing out of Caldwell Co. who uses the same frequency and they are about 65 miles form my location.

Funny how the weather can cause some weird skip in frequencies.

Just my thoughts

David

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I keep tellin' ya it is those tin-foil hats you keep wearing :cool: :lol:

Marshall KE4ZNR

lol speaking of skips, had one friend down in swepsonville and i was up in northern burlington, I knew we were about 7-14 miles apart.... we heard each other crystal clear. I wish it snowed again lol

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Yes! I know

The snow is nice. Especially when you can walk outside in the evening and hear nothing but silence.

On a snowy night and all is quite. I can hear several of the local volunteer fire department sirens sounding when a call is dispatched.

Also hear all the dogs howling as well.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.