When Would You Leave the Scanning Hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I think the bored factor started to sink in lately. Sometimes you can get so wrapped into the wrap factor of scanning. Then you get your head beat into a wall because cities and counties are using heavy amounts of encryption with AES-256 technology and that's where the rubber has finally met the road.

Everybody talks about scanning for 40 years and I have been one of them and Uniden or Bearcat was always able to keep up with making a scanner from inserting crystals to an all in one radio. Then analog to digital and trunktracking to Phase I and now Phase II TDMA digital trunking.

Uniden or Whistler can't keep moving forward with the technology growth of what cities and counties are doing to their TRS. Once they implement encryption this is the brick wall and there is no way through to the next level or generations of scanning equipment.

This is the reality of where we are at this point. With federal laws in place its the end of the road.

Sure there will always be schools, and business, and taxi, and public works to listen to but how bored do you want to be listening to nothing interesting that does not make your blood pump.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I stopped scanning when things went p25 digital. Got back in when digital scanners came out. Am about to leave again with any good things to scan and know what is happening in my area goes encrypted and non transparent!

pb_lonny

I imported a scanner in the past but had issues so said never again. Our trunking band goes up to 869.9875MHz which is blocked on US models so that is a no go.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I imported a scanner in the past but had issues so said never again. Our trunking band goes up to 869.9875MHz which is blocked on US models so that is a no go.

My 396XT goes up to 868.9875, I'm sure other scanners are the same. Are you sure they are actually using the last 1 MHz between 868.9875 - 869.9875?

pb_lonny

Yes here in Australia our 800MHz trunking band is 865 - 869.9875MHz and in my local area these frequencies are in use.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Yes here in Australia our 800MHz trunking band is 865 - 869.9875MHz and in my local area these frequencies are in use.

But is that part of the 800 band where DMR is being used in your area? Here most DMR is VHF or UHF. If you're only getting a 436 or TRX for their DMR capability, then they only need to cover the bands where DMR is actually being used. You probably already have an Aussie version radio for 800 MHz P25 or analog trunking.

pb_lonny

But is that part of the 800 band where DMR is being used in your area? Here most DMR is VHF or UHF. If you're only getting a 436 or TRX for their DMR capability, then they only need to cover the bands where DMR is actually being used. You probably already have an Aussie version radio for 800 MHz P25 or analog trunking.

If I buy a 436 I would want to use it for BOTH 800MHz trunking AND DMR. I can't do this at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.