When you just want to listen to 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
With this county (and apparently everybody else around here) now going to 700 MHz Project 25 TRS for Fire & EMS, what's the chances of somebody will be putting out a low cost scanner with just that, when that's all I'll need?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@howie38 Extremely unlikely as the technology to receive it would still be the same and that's what the biggest part of developmental costs are. Adding additional frequency ranges are not an expensive item. Not to mention, though you only want the 700mhz band many others want more.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Here's an interesting option perhaps....it is still young but it is extremely promising. It may not be what you're looking for but then again...

Thread at this website: P25RX P25 Phase 1 Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Not associated with the manufacturer but definitely endorse the project, I have one, and it works great on P25 systems.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
I should mention that it's just going in the car.
I've been using my 436, but it doesn't have an external speaker jack for rolling with the windows down.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
@KC1UA a little pricey at $260

I offered it as an option. It is set up pretty nicely for in-vehicle use and has the potential to interface to the on-screen display of many in-vehicle sound systems. As to the price, you'd have to take that up with the manufacturer. It is a great performer with plenty of options to come.

Just sayin'. YMMV.

DJ11DLN

I should mention that it's just going in the car.
I've been using my 436, but it doesn't have an external speaker jack for rolling with the windows down.
If your car radio has an auxiliary input jack, you can jumper from the earphone jack on the 436 to that and the radio will make it loud enough to hear. If not, Uniden sells an amplified speaker that works pretty well.

radio3353

With this county (and apparently everybody else around here) now going to 700 MHz Project 25 TRS for Fire & EMS, what's the chances of somebody will be putting out a low cost scanner with just that, when that's all I'll need?

Your question was interesting until I got to the "low cost" part. What does low cost mean to you?

howie38

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately 'low cost' and 'good quality' are mutually exclusive.
Not a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles when all you need is to listen to the local fire band in your car.
Something you can just download from FreeScan or Sentinel and go.

CrabbyMilton

I believe the 436 already has that capability so it would be rather silly to have a scanner just for 700mhz when most systems can use multiple parts of the whole spectrum. As others have said, why have a scanner to receive just one frequency group?
I use a small FM transmitter for the times when I take my scanner in the car. Most of the time it works fine with some interference at times.
Bluetooth adapters may improve that.

merlin

The new systems are constantly changing, why it falls into LTR. You would want something with fully programmable codecs to keep up with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.