Where Are Niagara Ontario FD's Lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygibson

Hi everybody, I'm new to the site, but not new to the hobby of radio monitoring, having just returned after a couple of decades. I just picked up a small analog 'starter' scanner (or "re-starter" in my case) last week and have enjoyed simply re-introducing myself to what's out there. Quick question: Has anyone else noticed a sharp decrease in the number of transmissions emanating from local fire departments such as Welland, Port Colborne and St. Catharines? Over the past couple of days, it's been so quiet, that I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps they're now using new frequencies. Anyone else notice this?

tusker305

St. Catherines just sent Engine Co. 6 on a medical on 155.445. 2219hrs.
Also heard Welland and a few other tones today, mainly for wires and an accident.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Still hearing West Lincoln on 155.910

terrygibson

oops

Thank you for your replies; they're appreciated, but I have a confession to make. "Marconi" here; who is still in the process of learning even this basic scanner, realized shortly after he posted this that he'd inadvertently locked out an entire bank of channels, thus explaining the "mysterious" disappearing transmissions. It looks like I'm going to be spending more time with the manual, before bothering you guys with dumb questions. Thanks again for your courteous replies.

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
1. 153.8000 central niagara fire depts
2. 152.1350 port colborne fire dept
3. 155.9100 west niagara fds
4. 420.0625 nffd
5. 420.2750 nffd
6. 420.5750 nffd
7. 155.4450 st. Catherines fire dept
8. 169.0375 st. Cath ch#2
9. 148.5400 fort erie fd
10. 150.775 n.o.t.l fd

terrygibson

Customs?

Thank you for those frequencies firefgtr. I've been noticing a fair amount of traffic on 420.0625 and especially 420.2750, that appears to be related to customs somehow; using terms like "immigration" and "secondary inspection". Are these shared channels with Niagara Falls fire services?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Niagara Falls Fire

Thank you for those frequencies firefgtr. I've been noticing a fair amount of traffic on 420.0625 and especially 420.2750, that appears to be related to customs somehow; using terms like "immigration" and "secondary inspection". Are these shared channels with Niagara Falls fire services?

:confused: For Some Reason firefgtr gives out these frequencies like they are analog frequencies and it's screws people up, the frequencies he is giving you are part of a MPT-1327 Standard system, and this is the system that the Niagara Falls Fire Department is on with other people. Put in all the frequencies and lock out the control frequencies and you can listen to these frequencies
Canquest Communication Trunking System, Various, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
Steve

terrygibson

I guess I should have been a little more explicit regarding just how 'cheesy' the scanner I'm using actually is, when I said a "starter" scanner, I wasn't kidding; I'm using a BC95XLT analog. I'm intending to upgrade to something digital and capable of handling trunked communications over the next several months; in the meantime I'm using this little unit to simply get my feet wet again. Some of you younger guys will laugh, but the last time I was actively involved in the hobby, if you wanted to monitor a frequency, you went out and bought the appropriate crystal suitable only for that one frequency and inserted it into the radio yourself. I'm also intending to re-enter the world of shortwave over the next few months on my way to hopefully getting my ham ticket; a life long ambition. The last time I was involved in SWL, I used a brand new DX-160, which will give some of you a notion of just how ancient I am.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I guess I should have been a little more explicit regarding just how 'cheesy' the scanner I'm using actually is, when I said a "starter" scanner, I wasn't kidding; I'm using a BC95XLT analog. I'm intending to upgrade to something digital and capable of handling trunked communications over the next several months; in the meantime I'm using this little unit to simply get my feet wet again. Some of you younger guys will laugh, but the last time I was actively involved in the hobby, if you wanted to monitor a frequency, you went out and bought the appropriate crystal suitable only for that one frequency and inserted it into the radio yourself. I'm also intending to re-enter the world of shortwave over the next few months on my way to hopefully getting my ham ticket; a life long ambition. The last time I was involved in SWL, I used a brand new DX-160, which will give some of you a notion of just how ancient I am.

No one is going to find you to be silly. A lot of the people on here remember the crystal days fondly. The word I would use is nostalgic :).

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
yes i should have noted its part of a trunk system. my bad. but in August now iam told NFFS will put their new system online.

VHF none trunk analog system

Last edited:

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
yes i should have noted its part of a trunk system. my bad. but in August now iam told NFFS will put their new system online.

VHF none trunk analog system

I thought it was supposed to be online sometime in June...

Status
Not open for further replies.