Where are the digital radios?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In the case of the FTM-400XDR, that meant that Yaesu acknowledged that there were GPS and other issues with the non-X radio and updated the hardware to address issues.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
In the case of the FTM-400XDR, that meant that Yaesu acknowledged that there were GPS and other issues with the non-X radio and updated the hardware to address issues.
Thanks. I never could find that info.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The box is French and English. The label on the radio itself says 200D. There was no warranty card. I bought it from Main Trading Co.

AK4PY

Thanks. I never could find that info.

There are other differences in the FTM-400DR and FTM-400XDR too. They tried to improve the cooling by adding an airflow hole in the chassis behind the cooling fan with the XDR. The DR has no hole. Doesn't matter though, as neither version of the 400 has adequate cooling. The new FTM-200 and 300 have a flow through air cooling scheme like the Icom radios (ID-4100A and 5100A) that use the same Mitsubishi final MOSFET. Funny how I have personally killed five of these MOSFETS between an FTM-100DR, FTM-400DR, and FT-991A. Yet, I have never had a problem with my ID-4100A, nor have I heard of anyone ever having an issue with one of the Icom rigs. Surely some have failed, but not like the Yaesu rigs have. I expect the 200, 300, and new 500 to be fine. I may replace my 400 with a 500 when they become available. Getting tired of repairing the 400.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
OK, My bad. I got the magnifying glass out and the radio label does say FTM-200DR. Everything on the box says D, though. As long as it works, I really don't care. Every other Yaesu portable and mobile I've owned has performed flawlessly.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My headline asks where all the digital radios are and now I know where at least one of them is. It's in my car. It's a Yaesu FTM-200DR (regardless of what I thought it was earlier). The learning curve is steeeeep. For instance, the "Function" button give access to 117 different adjustments, features, etc. Those features include a band scope, recording, WIRES-X, APRS and GPS. There are two manuals: one is the basic stuff (installation, setup, programming, etc.); the other one covers the advanced features. That second manual is a whole new learning curve.

Anyway, it's roughly hooked up and works. I haven't check SWR yet. I have put in the local repeaters using RT Systems software and talked with AK4PY. He said it sounded good.

One question: what does it use for a GPS antenna? As best as I can tell, it's either internal or uses the broadcast antenna.

AK4PY

The GPS module is internal to the head unit. The original FTM-400DR had a terrible GPS chip. All other Fusion radios since then have a decent GPS. My Fusion radio is getting a GPS lock inside my house sitting on my desk well away from the window... and I have a solarboard roof. Catch you on the 442.200 Fusion repeater sometime soon!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The 400 used a patch antenna in the control head. Likely the same in the 200 and the broadcast antenna will not suffice at GPS frequency and receive levels.

P.S. Parallel typing…

SP5WWP

M17 Project Founder & Lead
I always suggest to do whatever is available locally in regard to digital. We have Yaesu System Fusion locally on 442.200. I am working on building a D-STAR repeater from an MTR2000 and it will be on 443.575. We don't have a DMR repeater in Columbus and I am not personally interested in putting one on the air, although I have a Motorola DMR repeater sitting in my garage right now. I'm watching the progress of the M17 project, and I am interested in potentially building an M17 repeater in the next couple years if the project continues to make progress.
We've made a lot of progress. There are 31 M17 repeaters worldwide, and with a handheld coming, there will be more.
CS7000-M17

k6cpo

Well, it's here but...... I ordered an FTM-200DR but I got a 200D. What's the difference?

Edit: It looks like this one doesn't have cell phone frequencies blocked. If that's the difference, I don't care.
You're looking at the D in the imprint on the radio body, correct? Look at the label on the bottom of the radio. It will tell you the exact model you received. As already mentioned, different second letters indicate different markets. However, Yaesu doesn't put the region designator on the outside of the radio. This allows them to use the same mold for all models of the radio, no matter what market they are going to.

What does the X designate, as in 400XDR? I tried to find this some time ago and came up empty.
The First FTM-400 radio (in the US market) was the FTM-400DR. The FTM-400XDR is a subsequent model with a better internal GPS. It was more sensitive and able to lock on the satellites quicker. That's the only difference.

AK4PY

We've made a lot of progress. There are 31 M17 repeaters worldwide, and with a handheld coming, there will be more.
CS7000-M17
Awesome! I'll be picking up that CS7000-M17 for sure. Guess I get to start planning my repeater project now. Thanks for sharing this!

AK4PY

See if you have an M17 repeater nearby :) If not - maybe spin one up? Since MMDVM supports M17, it's super easy to do it.
I've got an MMDVM repeater, but have dedicated it to D-STAR. I don't want to change that because my local users need stability. I'm exploring where I can install a dedicated M17 repeater. Sites are hard to come by around here, but given time I should be able to work something out.