Where are the guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

Someone said we should just follow the guidelines. That's fine, but where are they?
I've looked at the home page, done a search and I can't find them.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
In a nutshell same as any other set of forums:
~Be respectful of other posters and think twice before hitting the post button
~do not post profane/indecent material/images
~do not curse/use abusive language
~email Lindsay or one of us Moderators if you have other specific questions
~share info and help make the radioreference.com database better but submitting new info/updates
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

DickH

KT4HX said:
Which, btw, is right above this thread. Not complicated but too many times either overlooked or ignored.

Well, I just clicked on everything I can see "right above this thread", and I can not find the guidlines you just linked to.
The point of my question was that someone said to "read the guidelines", but how can we read the guidelines if we can't find them.? Got it?
People constantly make statements off the top of their head and then can't back them up.

It's very simple. How can someone find the guidelines? (without you or someone else "in the know" giving them a link?)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
DickH said:
People constantly make statements off the top of their head and then can't back them up.

I agree with you 100% - and this is one of those cases. If you will look on the index page for this forum (where all the threads in this forum are listed) you will see that right above this thread (before you open the thread), the sticky "Etiquette and the Forums". This is exactly what MCIUPA graciously linked to. It is the 5th item down on that page, and this thread is the 6th item down.

Index page for the Administration, Suggestions and Site Help forum: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Has anyone wondered what proper etiquette is when using the Radio Reference Forums? Well, here are some great rules of thumb to follow and live by when interacting with your fellow radio communications enthusiasts:

1. God gave you 2 ears, and 1 mouth. Listen (read) before you speak (type) - and everyone will be better for it, including yourself.

2. Resist the urge to post to every single thread in every single forum. You might know everything there is to know about radios, however not everyone wants to "hear that you know." If you see a question posted about a system in Kansas, and you live in Louisiana, give the Kansas folks a chance to answer the question.

3. NEVER TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

4. Check your spelling and grammar before posting your message.

5. Stay on topic. If the post topic is about "Your Favorite HF Frequencies" and you jump in and post "What is the best HF Radio?" then you are just taking the thread into the weeds. Start a new thread if it isn't on topic for the existing one.

6. Let a dead horse die. Please don't keep beating a horse in a thread.

7. Do not post just to increase your post count. As crazy as this sounds, we have members here that believe their "social status" will rise considerably if their post count exceeds 10,000.

8. Do not become the internet police, and do not assume the role of a moderator. If you see a thread that needs attention, discusses illegal activities, or is otherwise problematic, click the Report Post link and let the moderator know. Do not tackle these issues yourself.

9. Please do not tell the moderators how to do their job. They are well aware of the forums and actively attempt to manage them as well as they can. If you see a post or thread that is having problems or otherwise needs the attention of the moderators, click the Report Post link and send us a quick message.

10. Last, but certainly not least, take a deep breath before you post a message. Could someone misconstrue your message as an attack on their character? Could someone misinterpret what you said as an insult? Many subtle items can be lost in written communications, so be sensitive to the fact that some people may view your message differently than what your intention was.

Follow these rules of thumb, and the community will be much better off.

Hope that helps, Dick.

DickH

blantonl said:
Hope that helps, Dick.

... Follow these rules of thumb, and the community will be much better off. ...

The point of this whole discussion was that someone said to just "follow the guidelines", but I could not find the guidelines. In my opinion they should be an Index item on the home page, not tucked away in a thread and called "Etiquette".

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Dick,

In addition to that post on Etiquette and the Forums, which really only deal with common sense guidelines for the forums; you also agreed to the Terms and Conditions of Use when you joined the community. That is linked off the home page under the Legal & Other link. Of course those are a bit more than guidelines, they are the rules that you agreed to abide by when you joined. Hope this helps clear up the mystery. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.