Where are the Ham Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
As a new ham in 1994 I went to Radio Shack for my first radio....it was a hand held HT 202....5-6 Watts....it's still in use today...yes they did sell ham radios....and mobiles too....alot of the Managers were ham radio operators..back then...what a shame they are today....I can still get PL259's there...but don't dare ask the person working there to find you one.....(is that something for a cell phone?)

KC0CSE=HAM
RS HT 202 STILL HAM'IN

I believe the manager of the RS my best friend and I used to visit back in our teen years (about 30 some years ago) was a ham. I know he knew a lot about radio theory and such. We bought an AM radio broadcasting kit (thing had a range of about 50 feet LOL) but couldn't get it working once we got it together. We took it back to the store and the manager spent about an hour with us going over every detail, explaining how it all worked. By the time we were done, we had it working perfectly.

Unfortunately you won't find that kind of customer service in many (if any) RS stores today, especially if you're a 15 y/o kid.

As to ham radios at the Shack, I know there are quite a few 10mtr mobiles sold on flea-bay.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
only thing radio cell phone shack has is... well cell phones

The last time I went in to buy something at Radio Shack was almost 6 years ago,I went to get a PL259/BNC connecter.

W2IBC

The last time I went in to buy something at Radio Shack was almost 6 years ago,I went to get a PL259/BNC connecter.

did they actually have it?

Last time I was in one, I needed a pl259.. couldnt find it anywhere.. so I was forced to ask. what did I get?

uhhh I never heard of that phone model.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
did they actually have it?

Last time I was in one, I needed a pl259.. couldnt find it anywhere.. so I was forced to ask. what did I get?

uhhh I never heard of that phone model.

Yup,they had it.

reedeb

As a new ham in 1994 I went to Radio Shack for my first radio....it was a hand held HT 202....5-6 Watts....it's still in use today...yes they did sell ham radios....and mobiles too....alot of the Managers were ham radio operators..back then...what a shame they are today....I can still get PL259's there...but don't dare ask the person working there to find you one.....(is that something for a cell phone?)

KC0CSE=HAM
RS HT 202 STILL HAM'IN

YUP got an HTX 202 HT back in 96 and the next yr just before they discontinued em, the HTX 212 2 mtr mobile [STILL have em both and still operable]. I know what every says about the Shack. I went in for a battery and all they seem to care about is phones. NOT like the old days when I would walk into a RS and play with the new scanners [and program some freqs in while I was at it] AHHH the good old days..

cifn2

Feed Provider
That's ok they are totally lacking update on their website if you look for Business/Marine Radios, you get GMRS and Marine. So I guess GMRS is business band by them? Radio shack has lost touch with it's base of selling radios, and more into TV's, and phones, etc not the Radio Shack anymore.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Me too. In the local store here, I have seen some FRS radios and scanners. They don't have any ham radios though. I wonder how long they will still sell radios.

A Radio Shack in a mall a few miles away from me have a scanner or two with a cb radio on display,they also have a some radio accessories to.But thats about it.

Last edited:

jhooten

OK - boys and girls. I have an assignment for you. After I found that Radio Shack says they have Ham Radios (note: Ham Radios not accessories) I shot them an email asking "Where are the Ham Radios?". I got the following reply.....

So, your mission should you decide to accept it is to go to your local RS and ask them "Where are the Ham Radios?"

I had to wait for the right guy to be in the store. His first and all most immediate reply was "you can find the pretty cheap at hamfests", chuckling as he said it. He also said to go to the contract stores is smaller markets and look on the clearance table and ask the people. Sometimes you can find some NIB covered in years of dust still in stock.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
So, your mission should you decide to accept it is to go to your local RS and ask them "Where are the Ham Radios?"

The reply should be, "They are gone. Just like any other product in the store, when there is not a stong demand for a item, it is discoutuned and no longer sold." Pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.