Where are these transmissions in the Low Band between 29.000-47.000 MHz coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello. This is Coolguy. I am from Chapleau. I was just wondering if someone can help me out here by identifying where these freq's that I am going to tell you come from. I was hearing talking on the Low Band (29.000 - 47.000 MHz) yesterday evening on my Scanner. On some of them it sounded like Fire, Police and or Ambulance from somewhere in the States to me (Just from their voices). So if anyone on here would know where these freq's are coming from, if they are coming from the States somewhere. Could you let me know, so when I hear them again I will know. I will be waiting for your replies to this Thread. Thanks.

Coolguy

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps today up in your region is a skip day.
If you ever used a CB radio back in a day you probably remember hearing 'sothern' accents from time t time.
CB (27) is in the same frequency range as the low band you are monitoring.
Listen for town names, highway names or towns. You might be surprised how far you can scan.

jimlawrence

There are many places in the states where low band skip can originate. 33.9 is a very busy freq. with lots of EMS and firecalls on it. The 42 Mhz range is full of state police, as is the 39 MHz range. And there are local or county PDs, fire and EMS sprinkled in there as well.

The state police that I know about that still use low band in the states are: Illinois, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, California, Indiana (to a lesser degree) and Maryland. Maryland uses the 39 MHz range, as does Calif. Indiana, Illinois and Missouri use the 42 MHz range. I keep 42.60 (Illinois state police in Joliet) in my radio at all times as it's one of those that's a "frequent flyer".

I'm sure the state listings on this site will give you some insights. However, you may be hearing a fire or EMS agency that is local to someplace and that may require some research and searching google, etc. If you have a CTCSS/DCS-capable scanner that decodes instantly, like the Pro-96 or the Uniden 396, that will prove invaluable as the code in use will help you narrow it down quickly as does determining what kind of southern drawl (if any) the dispatcher has.

Don't forget that the U.S. (and Canadian) military use a lot of low band too. When I lived in Kingston, Ontario, I regularly received Ft. Hood, Texas range control on 30.45. Just yesterday, Ft. Drum's (NY) range control on 38.5 was logged in North Carolina. And I know Canforces Petawawa uses several low band freqs for its range controls. Sometimes figuring out who you're hearing takes a while. And we haven't even mentioned the US military aircraft that still use low band or offshore/overseas users.

Happy listening!

Jammin_Jay

Actually, if u have a tv nearby, connect an antenna onto it. Tune in from channels 2 - 6. U might pic up some of the southern and southwestern US state local TV stations. The low vhf tv band is just above the band u mentioned your picking the skip up on. Chances are that the Atmospheric Skip is allowing the 50-70 mhz to also sporadicate across the continent.

SCPD

QRT
I am not hearing anything 2night from 29.000 - 47.000 MHz at all. So I guess it just was the way the weather was here yesterday for it to do that. Here are 3 frequencies from the 29.000 - 47.000 MHz range that I was able to write down from last night. There was some more freq's that I heard but I just didn't write them down, now the 3 freq's are: 46.480 MHz - This one I am pretty sure I heard a medical call going out on this one but I forget where the call was for in the states somewhere. 46.180 MHz - I don't remember what I heard on this one. 42.120 MHz - This one if I can remember, I am pretty sure I heard the Dispatcher for the Police from somewhere in the States. So for the rest of the other freq's that I heard, that I didn't write down, I am not quite sure what was on those ones. But the next time I hear them again I will try to figure out where they are coming from. I am pretty sure to that I didn't hear any military traffic on these freq's but I could be wrong. So I will be waiting for any more replies to this E-mail, if anyone has anything else to add to this. Thanks again.

Coolguy

mciupa

46.48 would probably be Ontario County Fire in New York State (Finger Lakes region)
46.18 is most likely Wyoming County in western New York State

42.12 is Missouri State Police Dispatch in Springfield , Missouri

If you hear call signs like KEC 990 , write those down to because then they can be verified in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.