Where do I Download FreeScan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7tke

I've been hearing a lot about this computer program called FREEscan and was wondering where I could download it or buy a CD of it? Just received a BTC15x scanner and would appreciate any information on this. Thanks!

would appreciate any information on this. Thanks!
It's here:

kc7tke

I will just as soon as I receive my cable for my laptop. The cable it came with is for an older computer and has a serial connector instead of a USB. I guess they figure people who listen to scanners own older computers. It was like 24 bucks and will be here Saturday. I'll let you know how I like it. Steve left me a response to a neat site that explains how to use FreeScan. Been checking that out. Everyone on here has been a lot of help to me on this. Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks like a site that has everything I need to know on how to interface my BTC15x to my computer. Cables on order will be here Saturday. Thanks again.
Ron
There's a huge amount of help available here on RadioReference, both in the forums, as well in the Wiki. Many of the Wiki pages have a number of links to additional resources & information.

Enjoy the scanner.

kc7tke

Hey Doc, Steve,

I would really like to thank you two for your help in finding this program FreeScan. After ordering the cable and configuring it to my computer the program runs like a dream. I am programming my scanner like a madman! It was not that hard to setup. All I did was read the docs and follow the instructions and BAM! It has fixed a lot of things. Most of all volume issues. Now all of the frequencies / channels are the same volume. Uploaded the programming from my BCT15x and made a few changes to the quiet frequencies, downloaded it back to the scanner and it is working great! I would have had a terrible time figuring this out without you two guiding me in the right direction. Thanks again. :)Screenshot (141).png

drdeputy

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using FreeScan on the 996P2? Between the virus flags (apparently false positives?) and that the version supporting 996P2 says "experimental" I have left it alone. Since it seems to no longer be supported, which is fine, I never heard if the 'experimental/beta?' version actually works with this model, or any issues/bugs?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using FreeScan on the 996P2? Between the virus flags (apparently false positives?) and that the version supporting 996P2 says "experimental" I have left it alone. Since it seems to no longer be supported, which is fine, I never heard if the 'experimental/beta?' version actually works with this model, or any issues/bugs?
The "virus warning" is bogus, unless you downloaded it from a site other than the archived download spot (Doc posted the link in post #2).

It is no longer officially supported, but it still works well for the scanners it supports. Your 996P2 can be programmed with FreeSCAN; I initially programmed my 325P2 with FreeSCAN.

As tvengr noted, FreeSCAN does not correctly support DMR, and nothing at all for NXDN. Once added the DMR & NXDN upgrades, I shifted to using ProScan. But as long as DMR & NXDN support is not needed, then there's no reason not to try it, and if you like it, continue using it.

drdeputy

Premium Subscriber
The "virus warning" is bogus, unless you downloaded it from a site other than the archived download spot (Doc posted the link in post #2).

It is no longer officially supported, but it still works well for the scanners it supports. Your 996P2 can be programmed with FreeSCAN; I initially programmed my 325P2 with FreeSCAN.

As tvengr noted, FreeSCAN does not correctly support DMR, and nothing at all for NXDN. Once added the DMR & NXDN upgrades, I shifted to using ProScan. But as long as DMR & NXDN support is not needed, then there's no reason not to try it, and if you like it, continue using it.
Thanks. That’s all I wanted, a safe d/l file and that it does work with the 996P2. No need for DMR or NXDN on this scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.