Where do you buy your radio/scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I ordered a new Icom R6 Wednesday at 1pm cst from Universal-Radio.com. I have always loved their website for the great detail they give their products. Heck, I probably visit the page a minimum of 2 or 3 times a day. They had one of the lower prices around the net for the R6 so I decided to purchase from them. I have ordered from Universal-Radio once in the past, and had a very similar experience. They take several days to ship after placing an order. So I guess I should have known better if I was going to be impatient. (Both orders were online orders). I was just hoping to have that shiny new toy in hand on Monday :D

Today at 4 p.m. cst, I called to check the status of my order and it still hasn't shipped. They stated it "should" ship on Monday. I guess I am being a little impatient, but most places you order from online ship either that day or the day after you order.

I would have ordered from scannermaster.com but they were out of stock on the R6. I kinda wish now I would have ordered from HRO.

Just curious where everyone does their radio business.

Thanks

michaelmikesj

I used to do my business at Radio Shack because I had what I wanted in hand. But lately it seems the salespeople have either become really stupid or they just don't care about anything not related to radio equipment. I now take my business to Scanner Master. I don't like waiting either, but I know if there is a problem, or I have questions I'm not gonna get that long stupid silence over the telephone. I'm gonna get answers and supprot.

wise871

Database Admin
I buy from the following and have always had my orders ship the same day.

Scanner Masters (Scanners or Parts)
Communications Electronics (Scanners)
Groove Electronics (Parts)
HRO (Ham Radios or Parts)
Sonic Electronix (Scanner)
GigaParts (Parts)
CheapHam.com (Mobile Antennas)

SquierStrat

pretty much anymore, when i want a new scanner ill go to the following:
hamradio.com
universal-radio.com
scannermaster.com
grove-ent.com
and ebay
there might be another 1 or 2, but i learned about all of them from this site.

anyways, out of all of those, whoever can get it to my door for the lowest price, gets the sale.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I too used to purchase my scanners at Radio Shack....a Pro95 and a Pro2052...but that was back in the days when you could get the product and some knowledgeable advice from the person behind the counter. Does anyone remember those "good old days"? But since this company has decided to put the emphasis on selling cell phones and related items, and let the rest of the electronics go self service, I've found another place to do business.

A local store that really deals in the total package of radios, scanners, antennas, etc. is where I shop for my needs - they offer no pressure sales tactics, all the knowledge and advice you could want and give you answers and not blank stares. I've become a fan of Uniden and bought a BCT8 and a BCD396T from these guys and now I'm sitting on the fence about the HP-1. But, if and when I decide to get one, it will be from them. I'm sure there are many good retailers out there in the mail order business but when I want to buy a scanner, I want it in hand ASAP. I'm not patient enough to wait days or weeks for someone to ship it. But that's just me!

Russell

94caprice9c1

In the "good old days" my first scanners came from Radio Shack, and believe it or not, K-Mart used to sell Bearcats. I bought a Bearcat III and lots of crystals from them. Now Scanner Master gets most of my business.

jrplmil

My first and nwxt scanner came from radioshack. The first was a bearcat 210 then a RS 2051, both are still in use. T then got a gre4oo which is too sensitive. I am only a block away from the SO.

I next got a BC396, then 2 BC898, next wass a BC696 digital all from Scanner Master

I have even got a couple off Ebay

Enjoy your new scanner

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
I visit them all...

I regularly visit all the websites already mentioned, always looking for the better deal.

As far as my purchases go...

My Radio Shack radios bought from....well, Radio Shack.

Got my 330T from usascan.com (Communications Electronics Inc.)
Display was defective but got it exchanged without issue.

I forget where I bought the BCT15, I think it was bearcatwarehouse.com

BCD396XT and PSR-310 were purchased from scannermaster.com as well as numerous accessories. I take advantage of their sales & free shipping in December usually, and also their price match guarantee. They have a rewards program too, I got like $5+ credit I can use next purchase, no biggie.

and lastly I picked up the PSR-410 from ambientweather.com for $80 shipped. :D Could not passed that up!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a new Icom R6 Wednesday at 1pm cst from Universal-Radio.com. I have always loved their website for the great detail they give their products. Heck, I probably visit the page a minimum of 2 or 3 times a day. They had one of the lower prices around the net for the R6 so I decided to purchase from them. I have ordered from Universal-Radio once in the past, and had a very similar experience. They take several days to ship after placing an order. So I guess I should have known better if I was going to be impatient. (Both orders were online orders). I was just hoping to have that shiny new toy in hand on Monday :D

Today at 4 p.m. cst, I called to check the status of my order and it still hasn't shipped. They stated it "should" ship on Monday. I guess I am being a little impatient, but most places you order from online ship either that day or the day after you order.

I would have ordered from scannermaster.com but they were out of stock on the R6. I kinda wish now I would have ordered from HRO.

Just curious where everyone does their radio business.

Thanks

If you're buying a Uniden product, the fastest shipping place is and always has been Scannerworld in Albany, NY. Order on Mon, comes on Wed, sometimes late Tuesday. Universal has always been kind of slow for some reason. Scannermaster sent the case I bought recently very quickly. I had it in 3 days, not bad at all.

maalox

i mainly get from scanner master. or grove and universal excellent for there used scanners.. i use to buy from scanner world but the tax can be a killer on a $500. scanner since i am in nyc...

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
buying more and more offf of Amazon lately...

I use the previously mentioned places for my radio habit, but I just got a Uniden BCD996XT this week from Amazon. It was comparably priced, no sales tax, etc. With my Prime membership next-day shipping was $3.99 -- it ended up arriving about 12 hours after I ordered it.

I also got a BCD15T from Amazon, the seller didn't offer next day but the shipping was free. It arrived about 36 hours after I ordered it -- came from the east coast via USPS Priority Mail.

scannerrail

Looking to replace my Scanner which is a RS PRO 95 I'd have to check Amazon too since I'm a prime member.. however I don't know if it's worth it for a digital scanner just yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.