Where has ALEA gone to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner_Rider

The first part of January they were still handling ALEA north and troop F on the frequencies on the EDACS repeaters and bouncing around the old frequencies.

Now I cant find ALEA on my 436 or using the search on my old RS analog scanner I was monitoring them on.

Anyone where they went in the northern district?

jim202

The first part of January they were still handling ALEA north and troop F on the frequencies on the EDACS repeaters and bouncing around the old frequencies.

Now I cant find ALEA on my 436 or using the search on my old RS analog scanner I was monitoring them on.

With the end of life support for any EDACS system, most owners of these systems are in the process of replacing them or have already done so. I would check the database here on RR and see what shows up there.

You can also check in the state forum section on RR here and see what chatter is there that might indicate what is going on.

DARRELL

Premium Subscriber
The VHF frequencies listed in the database are the primary frequencies for ALEA. A lot of the newer cars have the dual band Motorola radios and the older radios are VHF only. Narrowbanding affected the signal strength so you may not receive as many of the towers as you did in the past. Unfortunately, you may not hear much at times on ALEA frequencies because trooper manpower has decreased significantly over the past few years due to retirements and no major classes since 2010. Manpower is at an all time low so there are just not many troopers on duty at one time. The ones on duty are basically going from crash to crash in their territory so there is little time for enforcement. Also, the communications system is so poor that many troopers have to rely on cell phones or Southern LINCs to communicate with dispatch. You are not the first person I have heard comment about the ALEA frequencies being quiet and I have noticed it myself.

pilotman6012

Still there i hear some of them on a daily basis on regular VHF frequencies,but the signal is a lot weaker than it used to be since they are stretching them further for the areas they cover and those new radios are crap.

morganAL

Troopers never were on the EDACS system in Morgan County. Some of the frequencies were licensed to AL DPS (ALEA) but they never used them. They moved some frequencies around when they added repeaters but as someone else mentioned, narrowbanding really affected their range.

Scanner_Rider

Thanks for all the suggestions that I did try before I set both my old scanner and the new one to try searching for AST for a few hour sessions before the new trunking unit found ALEA North using two different frequencies to communicate with troops E and F cars and it also identified a trooper CZ car to car yesterday.

At the same time the digital trunking and all range scanner found the traffic, the analog scanner only found white noise , which sort of leaves me thinking the reason ALEA disappeared from the analog scanner might be RF "smog" from the many services upgrading to digital added in with all the normal consumer device RF signal saturation.

During the search process, I had P25 digital IDs being found from Tenn, Miss , GA and every county of Alabama down to Jefferson that I had to lock out after it got the ALEA VHF, so apparently the digital gets through the radiation fog.

My old scanner isn't totally dead yet. Now that it scanner service of over a decade is over, I plan to use it as my weather alert radio until it dies as my old weather radio did last year.

Since my NOAA station never has gotten its SAME service working, even when I had a weather radio, most time I turned it off after 5 or 6 siren alerts outside my area, so the old $90 Pro 82 can still give me service for a few more years. :)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
The VHF frequencies listed in the database are the primary frequencies for ALEA. A lot of the newer cars have the dual band Motorola radios and the older radios are VHF only. Narrowbanding affected the signal strength so you may not receive as many of the towers as you did in the past. Unfortunately, you may not hear much at times on ALEA frequencies because trooper manpower has decreased significantly over the past few years due to retirements and no major classes since 2010. Manpower is at an all time low so there are just not many troopers on duty at one time. The ones on duty are basically going from crash to crash in their territory so there is little time for enforcement. Also, the communications system is so poor that many troopers have to rely on cell phones or Southern LINCs to communicate with dispatch. You are not the first person I have heard comment about the ALEA frequencies being quiet and I have noticed it myself.

There are times when I wished I had stayed around long enough to have tried to influence this situation. Honestly though, I don’t think my mental or even physical health could have stood the test. I might have about stayed too long as it was.

Remain alert and vigilant, Darrell!

Dwhitt301

I have heard ALEA on my bcd436hp on their vhf frequencies. Huntsville/Dutton, Gadsden and Jacksonville

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.