Where have I seen info for a homemade VHF antenna using SO-239 for the base ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestsw

I've done the search on here and the web, and sure can't locate it now- but I believe it it was a couple of years ago now when I found someone had a
page (somewhere out there!) for instructions utilizing an SO-239. It had a wire in the center conductor for the vertical, then wires (elements) soldered
to each four corners of the base. Not necessarily needing the assembly instructions, I would like to review the measurement 'chart'
they had for the element lengths for frequency coverage as it was well detailed and straightforward, and just good info.
It struck me as a good, basic, homemade, tough outside VHF antenna design. I appreciate Your time if anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about.
Happy listening,
midwestsw

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
The conversion for finding the correct element length in inches is 234 divided by the frequency, multiplied by 12.

Here is an example with a center frequency of 145:
234/145*12 = 19.365in

Randy K7AGE has a video showing construction of a similar antenna.

midwestsw

Perfect. Thanks guys, as You'll note it was late Thanksgiving Eve when I posted, my old brain was lock-in up, too much company for too long yesterday attributed. Nice to be able to rely on the RR community !
I came by a 30 ft. tower in 3 sections free to haul off ! Don't know
that it will get up before spring, but it's on my property now and not
on the way to the scrapyard ! I am very fortunate to be way out in the country, on 6 acres, 0 restrictions...antenna possibilities
are endless. Currently running a 200 foot long wire 'L' (and a couple of other angles to achieve all directions;N,S,E.W.) 15' up in the air with a fence row for shortwave, also blessed to have little, if any r.f.i. noise. I will be experimenting with this design before the tower does go up. I get airline traffic all day long, noticeable increase since the past few months....local and air EMS, and fire are still active on VHF, and a couple of close counties still use it for law enforcement, (maybe with tower height I will be surprised what I've missed)... but otherwise the most action is the aircraft band, that's fine with me, I've always thought it was cool to listen to. My Pro-2024 buzzes away all day out in my shop, the antenna is one of those little 'Sputnik' guys Radio Shack sold, it's currently inside (I don't believe they were designed to be outside ?)... up a high ceiling.
Half the fun of this hobby-thing (addiction!) called radio, for me anyway, is the antenna aspect of it. There's a lot
of good advice out there, but a lot of it may or may not apply to You and Your location, but to me it's a kick
to experiment. Thanks again, happy listening.
midwestsw

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
I also made the above tri bander about 5 years ago. It's hanging from my ceiling in my shack, works great. I get 40-to 50 miles with it

Status
Not open for further replies.