where is my programming flawed? BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpse

So where do I begin.

First of all, this is my first post on this forum and I'd like to thank you all in advance for help. I am in public safety ( EMS ) and have only recently founded an interest in the scanning world.

I am trying to program the Uniden BCD396XT scanner I just purchased using FreeScan software. I only care about monitoring one city, and that is Nashua NH Police, fire & EMS. Nashua is a Motorola type II digital re-banded 800mHz trunking system. Here is a link to the system information:

Nashua NH Trunk System - Scan New England Wiki

I have included pictures of (in descending order) of screenshots of:

-System definitions
-The site freqs (pg 1)
-The site band plan (pg 2)
-Group 1 (Nashua PD TGIDs)
-Group 2 (Nashua FD/ AMR TGIDs)

*Please note, you will notice if you look at the link and the TGIDs I have, some are excluded. This is purposefully, as I don't really care to listen to some of them.

Here's what's happening:

My programming uploads into the scanner just fine, and the screen shows "Nashua PD/FD/EMS" just as it is intended, and says "ID SCAN". But absolutely nothing comes through. No noise, no voice, nothing. If I press hold and leave it on a channel, there is static/digital noise. But if I quick-enter one of the voice freqs (perhaps 851.0500), I get crystal clear voice (obviously it's not everything because there are several voice channels in this system). And there are no TGID identifiers.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Again, thank you in advance for taking the time to read through this and offer help. I feel like a lost puppy with this thing!

All the very best, Jeremy

Attachments

• System Screen shot.jpg
    System Screen shot.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 487
  • Site 1.jpg
    Site 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Site 2.jpg
    Site 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 403
  • Group 1.jpg
    Group 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Group 2.jpg
    Group 2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 369

wtp

hard to read with old eyes

i can see the ez grab but you want all the channels in
the main ones say control channel and that is how the radio follows everything
the one that says data you could leave out if that is all it is

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Jeremy...

I just checked the data base.. Nashua's system has 10 freqs (4 control & 6 voice channels) you only have 5 freqs entered you are missing 5 freqs.

2 questions ...
1st...where are you located? Are you right in Nashua or close to it?

2nd.. you said you just got the 396xt.. is it brand new or is it a Refurbished unit from Uniden? Reason I ask is because Uniden shipped out a batch of 996xt's that are defective..they don't pick up any P25 signals.. if you have a recent refurbished radio it could be a similar problem.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm..here's our database entry for that system (links are always blue)

Nashua Trunking System, Nashua, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies

I noticed that you have 2 distinct groups allocated to the same GQK. That will work, but at the cost of not being able to lock out one group over the other.

Yes, where are you in relation to Nashua? If you aren't getting enough signal (more than 3 bars worth), you're going to have problems hearing this system. At first blush - I've been up since 6 this morning, and I'm getting pretty pooped - the programming looks decent, with the exception noted above.

I would change your programming to ID Search and see if you start hearing the system. If you do, that's a pretty sure sign that your groups are in error. Remember, do a REPLACE on the upload form, not ADD.

Mike

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Hmm..here's our database entry for that system (links are always blue)

Nashua Trunking System, Nashua, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies

I noticed that you have 2 distinct groups allocated to the same GQK. That will work, but at the cost of not being able to lock out one group over the other.

Yes, where are you in relation to Nashua? If you aren't getting enough signal (more than 3 bars worth), you're going to have problems hearing this system. At first blush - I've been up since 6 this morning, and I'm getting pretty pooped - the programming looks decent, with the exception noted above.

I would change your programming to ID Search and see if you start hearing the system. If you do, that's a pretty sure sign that your groups are in error. Remember, do a REPLACE on the upload form, not ADD.

Mike

Mike.. if you look carefully at his freqs.. he has 3 voice channel out of 6 entered & only 2 of the 4 control channels entered.. that has be his problem.. system consists of 10 freqs total.. 4 control & 6 voice..

n4yek

..... only 2 of the 4 control channels entered.. that has be his problem

I agree, only enter these freqs: 852.55000, 852.75000, 853.26250, 853.45000 and also on the 3rd screen you show above for "Site Setup" click on the box for "Control Channel Only". If you do not have a GPS hooked up to your radio, un-check the "Use GPS with this site" box.

Here is another tip in case you have P25 decode problems:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/228798-396xt-decode-errors.html#post1667774

Last edited:

jcpse

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses all!

I do live in Nashua and reception is not an issue in the slightest. If i do a quick add for just one of the voice channels, I pick up crystal-clear voice (as noted in my original post, not full conversations obviously)

I have tried ID search to no avail.

I am on shift right now and don't have the scanner with me, so I will have to wait til I am home at 10am tomorrow to give it a shot.

I will make the change to 1) uncheck GPS box, 2) delete site freqs and re-program them with the control frequencies listed here 3) Check the "control channel only" box.

This IS the factory re-furbished 396xt. So If none of the preceding actions have remedied the issue, I will contact uniden to confirm that the receiver is defective.

Again, Thank you all for your help.

jcpse

Well...

So far so good! With your help, I seem to have programmed the scanner to be fully-functioning based on the changes I made as I listed above!

Thanks for all the help. This is my first, but will not be my last thread looking for help (Not to worry, they will be made after using the search function, of course)

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.