Where is the ham radio hobby headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
The 85 has for a long time been a collecting point for less than desirable operators. Its too bad because it has great coverage. I've since locked it out of scan. The minnetonka one I haven't monitored much because they used to have the handiham stuff and other echolink stuff which I dont care for so I lock them out. I'd suggest locking both of them out or scan and you'll hear much less of that stuff. Also I'd suggest giving some digital modes a try. DMR, System Fusion, and D-Star all transmit the callsign so I think it keeps that stuff to a minimum. The cost to entry for DMR is quite low and it seems to be the fastest growing of the digital modes in the metro.

bharvey2

Although I've commented in a few posts that I've encountered some really moronic behavior on the airwaves, I'd have to say that by and large, the folks that I've run across on the radio are pretty respectful.

teufler

DMR sends your id number not just your call sign. Yes you could spoof a call sign but with out the proper numeric id, you won't go anywhere. N ow could somebody capture your id and use that to send, I suppose it could happen. I'm not sure the latest scanners with the DMR update, displ;ay that information or not.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
The 85 has for a long time been a collecting point for less than desirable operators. Its too bad because it has great coverage. I've since locked it out of scan. The minnetonka one I haven't monitored much because they used to have the handiham stuff and other echolink stuff which I dont care for so I lock them out. I'd suggest locking both of them out or scan and you'll hear much less of that stuff. Also I'd suggest giving some digital modes a try. DMR, System Fusion, and D-Star all transmit the callsign so I think it keeps that stuff to a minimum. The cost to entry for DMR is quite low and it seems to be the fastest growing of the digital modes in the metro.
You're right, it has been. Although, there are some good discussions that I've heard on that machine.

Those discussions are about the only reason that I kept that machine in scan list. I did lock it out, along with Minnetonka.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Although I've commented in a few posts that I've encountered some really moronic behavior on the airwaves, I'd have to say that by and large, the folks that I've run across on the radio are pretty respectful.
I generally agree with you on that, the majority the operators I've heard are really good, and don't cause the issues.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
DMR sends your id number not just your call sign. Yes you could spoof a call sign but with out the proper numeric id, you won't go anywhere. N ow could somebody capture your id and use that to send, I suppose it could happen. I'm not sure the latest scanners with the DMR update, displ;ay that information or not.
I do like that feature about DMR, and hope that will keep folks honest.

I don't know if someone can just use another user's ID on the network, but I hope not.

I'd hate to get banned for action that someone took using my credentials.

jim202

I do like that feature about DMR, and hope that will keep folks honest.

I don't know if someone can just use another user's ID on the network, but I hope not.

I'd hate to get banned for action that someone took using my credentials.

The problem with a digital radio, is it has to be programmed. As such the ID needs to be set in the programming to have the radio have what ever ID it needs.

So YUP, you can spoof what ever call sign and ID you want.

But getting back to the original question, the way people use the repeaters and HF frequencies really depends on how others operate on the radios. You can tune in many conversations on HF and find everything from heavy swearing like your in a bar to some really technical conversations. Just which conversation you get involved with will probably depend on what you like and how you became acclimated to the conversations.

To expand more, the future of the "Ham Radio" activities will depend on how you all allow poor and good operating practices to continue. There are many that have indicated that overall, the ham radio activity has declined. This statement I have to agree with that the general activity has dropped. But if there is a contest weekend, you won't be able to find a frequency on HF to slide into and have a normal conversation.

I like to get into the radio technical activities. But the average ham operator today has become an appliance operator. In many cases, these operators have a hard time trying to see where the power fuse is.

As for the repeater activity and the type of conversations they carry, this also depends on who are using the repeater and how tightly the action is controlled. Do I support people breaking the FCC rules and causing interference? No, and I do help track down those that are causing the problems. Does the FCC act on these problems? Not unless it has become a major issue. Their hands are tied to some extent with the budget cuts that have been in place for a number of years. It will only get worse as we go into this new administration.

I hope I have not strayed too far off of the original question that started this thread.

Last edited:

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
That's kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure if there was some feature similar to what P25 has against cloning ID numbers.

I know those can be cloned, but the clone can be shut down, with the real radio able to still run.

Does DMR have that ability? If not, may be a good thing to try to install.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I have been licensed since 1962. This crap was going on 75 meters and 40 meters long before repeaters were in existence. Still does. But I know lots of amateur radio operators in the area, including my involvement with three radio club and as an active VE. None of the hams I know participate in this nonsense.
There are idiots in every hobby and profession. If you want to listen to garbage, go to those same frequencies and have fun. But that represents very little of amateur radio, which although much different than when I started. There are still has a lot of fine people trying out all kinds of new technology, especially in this day of computers in almost every ham shack..
My dad (now deceased) gave me some good advice. "There are a..holes in every endeavor and walk of life. But there are a lot more nice people. Don't waste your energy on the a..holes. They are probably a..holes in everything they do. "

A wise man, your dad!

To me, the jerks only make me appreciate all that much more the majority of hams who are nice and respectful both on the air and off.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

DMR radios only transmit a DMR-MARC ID number that was programmed into the code plug loaded, period.

If the owner doesn't put his/her correct ID# in the code plug, then it will be transmitting bogus information! Just yesterday afternoon I had a contact who's radio was transmitting "1111111" because he forgot to put his number in the code plug before writing to the radio's memory. :roll:

I've also talked with a few who were using some other ham's ID# in their radio, rather than applying for their own number! When I'd welcome "Fred" they'd reply "Uh, my name is John? Why'd you call me Fred?" :(

They had downloaded a code plug from somewhere and didn't take the time to enter their number (or didn't even know they should have gotten their own!) before writing to the radio.

Too many still do not understand that a call sign and name will not appear on their display unless they have installed a contact list in their radio that allows this feature to work properly...

..."Uh, I put my call sign and name in my radio's code plug, so I don't understand why it isn't being sent."

"Well, that's because your name and call sign are there to identify you as the owner of that radio should it get lost or misplaced."

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
DMR and I believe Fusion both have capabilities to block radios as well, not sure about D-Star. You can change an ID somewhat easily on DMR but that requires a lot more effort than simply keying up and creating problems like on an FM repeater. That should keep some of the issues down. And on fusion you can change your displayed callsign but the radio still transmits a radio ID which a repeater owner can have access to. The point being digital has means to essentially moderate like a message board if necessary. I haven't noticed any issue with willful interference in my time on any of the digital modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.