Where is the ham radio hobby headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Just am scratching my head about all the things going on with the local repeaters recently.

I realize that I haven't exactly kept up with technology recently, and times have passed me by since I first got licensed (very close to twenty years ago).

But recently, it seems that things which would have been considered bad operating practice have become common on some of the local repeaters these days ( playing music on repeaters, random comments without ID, timing out the repeater, etc).

To their credit, the good hams have tried to keep things above board, despite the actions of (hopefully) a few. That's encouraging to see from the majority of operators and users on the system, but still disheartening to see anyone doing it at all. I don't want our service to become the next CB band.

More often than not, I try to just ignore it, and occasionally can find something else to do. Anyone else seeing this trend growing, or is it just me? What can we do about it to stay respectable? Any theories on why this is becoming a more prevalent issue?

Sorry for the rant, everyone. I welcome any ideas that folks have.

Thanks,
Brts96

JASII

Memory Capacity
Where Is The Ham Radio Hobby Headed?

...But recently, it seems that things which would have been considered bad operating practice have become common on some of the local repeaters these days ( playing music on repeaters, random comments without ID, timing out the repeater, etc)...

Which repeaters?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Where Is The Ham Radio Hobby Headed?

So, do you mean 146.850 and 145.450 then?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Didn't you know its the new way of life rules offend them and they have the right to do as they please NO RESPECT. In my days of growing up you earned respect it was not a right. People have no idea what the rules are and could care less. I did not get my ticket until last year. Friends have been after me to get my ticket for over 40 years. I did get my 2nd Class General when I was in Electronics School and let it expire I wish I had not done that but at the time had gotten the job I wanted so it did not matter then. All the time I have had my Tech ticket I have yet to make a contact. I took it to have it in case I ever needed it.

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
I think it depends on the local area as far as repeater practices go. In some places, new hams are conscientious operators. In others locations, maybe not so much.

But, hey - there are some longtime hams on 75 meters who operate exactly as you describe.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
So, do you mean 146.850 and 145.450 then?
Yes, those are the two primary repeaters.

The Oakdale owner stepped on someone yesterday for something, but I'm not sure what. I was glad to know that he tried to correct someone for their errant ways.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Didn't you know its the new way of life rules offend them and they have the right to do as they please NO RESPECT. In my days of growing up you earned respect it was not a right. People have no idea what the rules are and could care less. I did not get my ticket until last year. Friends have been after me to get my ticket for over 40 years. I did get my 2nd Class General when I was in Electronics School and let it expire I wish I had not done that but at the time had gotten the job I wanted so it did not matter then. All the time I have had my Tech ticket I have yet to make a contact. I took it to have it in case I ever needed it.
You're exactly right about some of these folks, no respect.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I think it depends on the local area as far as repeater practices go. In some places, new hams are conscientious operators. In others locations, maybe not so much.

But, hey - there are some longtime hams on 75 meters who operate exactly as you describe.
My observation has been that roughly 99.43 % of the repeater users are folks that play by the rules.

It's the .37% that are acting like fools and giving us a bad name.

That may be one good thing about DMR, at least you know who's the one causing the problem and you can ban them accordingly.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My observation has been that roughly 99.43 % of the repeater users are folks that play by the rules.

It's the .37% that are acting like fools and giving us a bad name.

That may be one good thing about DMR, at least you know who's the one causing the problem and you can ban them accordingly.

I don't guess it matters but that only adds up to 99.8%. I know...the other .2% aren't on the air anymore.

blue5011

Ham radio is just a reflection of what the rest of society does.

And it seems that now-a-days everyone has the "right to do what they want", to heck w/ the rules.

Another problem is the radios that are sold today cannot be repaired locally and REAL technicians for any gadget are few and far between.

toastycookies

Nothing quite that annoying, but asking similar lines.

I've heard the theme from "The good, bad and ugly" played on there, the MN Vikings horn, the Woody Woodpecker theme song, and a bunch of other stuff.

There is a nightly net here. The "Chimes" net. They play the 8'oclock (I think) chimes from some clock. Technically I guess it would be termed "music" but no one cares and everyone is civil and just and it is just a great net. Honestly I do not know where I am going with this but I think ham radio is doing quite fine myself.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Ham radio is just a reflection of what the rest of society does.

And it seems that now-a-days everyone has the "right to do what they want", to heck w/ the rules.

You're right, and they don't care how it affects everyone around them. It seems as if everyone is getting a sense of entitlement. They want free medicine, free phones, free rent. There's no work ethic or pride in workmanship. People want to sue for everything. Never mind the fact that stuff happens and you put on your big girl panties and work it out. Ask the lawyers about that. Never mind. You don't have to ask. Just watch a little TV: about 10-15 ambulance chasers per hour.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have been licensed since 1962. This crap was going on 75 meters and 40 meters long before repeaters were in existence. Still does. But I know lots of amateur radio operators in the area, including my involvement with three radio club and as an active VE. None of the hams I know participate in this nonsense.
There are idiots in every hobby and profession. If you want to listen to garbage, go to those same frequencies and have fun. But that represents very little of amateur radio, which although much different than when I started. There are still has a lot of fine people trying out all kinds of new technology, especially in this day of computers in almost every ham shack..
My dad (now deceased) gave me some good advice. "There are a..holes in every endeavor and walk of life. But there are a lot more nice people. Don't waste your energy on the a..holes. They are probably a..holes in everything they do. "

teufler

Han Radio practices can be taken care of by the resident OO. I was an OO for years, then became the states OOC. Just making a presence at local ham fests, being around, advertising that there was an OO around, solved most of the problems. A few got cards, and almost everyone said thanks and they were perfect after that. Proactive operations helped. Some 75 meters guys from down south , I sent them a tape and said, "guys watch you language, you have to set the example for the newer hams to follow". Problem never cropped up again. 6 years, only had three that got the FCC into the act. They were the bad apples. The "ID" deal, with DSTAR and Fusion, and of course aprs, your id is automatically sent out. DMR send out you id on each transmission, though its not heard, your identified. Always wondered why manufacturers don't have a built in cw id. It would function like an ani code on a 10 minute timer. It would cut your audio off, the radio woulds have a light that showed no audio, id time., or set it after each mic key up and down. The id would be fast enough to not tie up the repeater. We hear police with ani codes at the end of their transmissions all the time. Doesn't bother them, should bother use. Yaesu , you can have your arts feature put out your call every 10 minutes. Not the same buy close.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
You all are right. I appreciate the comments and thoughts.

I apologize for the math error, but you're probably right, that .2% most likely aren't active any longer.

Hope we can turn this trend around, and get everyone to get rid of the trolls by ignoring them where we can, and maybe finding them so enforcement action can be taken to hold them accountable for their actions.

Blue, you made an interesting point, I wonder if some of the folks causing interference are using cheap radios and just doing it for something to do.

teufler

My time as an OO and OOC, idiots didn't have or need cheap radios. Some used old radios, about the price of some newer CCR's. Actually, older times or years ago, interference was more creative. How about a ham, putting his car in the garage, attaching battery to a 12 vlt charger, then taking his dual band radio and putting a vhf repeater on one side and a uhf repeater on the other side, then setting up crossband repeat, then going away for the weekend during the spring bad weather. Weather frequencies tied up all weekend. One frequency activates the other frequency and this continues from Friday evening to Sunday evening. He just laughed about it on return. He just wanted attention because no one would talk to him. Eventually, lost interest in the hobby and moved away. The 98% ham group weathered the "storm" and all is fine now. The 98% are really good operators, and good teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.