Where is this freq. from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cratliff

I had my scanner scanning the MilAir band tonight at (6-20) at around midnight and a freq came up that is very active but I cant tell exactly where it is from. The frequency is 353.9. It is in the military band but it is only talking to civil aircraft. Sound very much like Phoenix Approach/Departure. Giving airspeed directions, vectors to runways, and telling aircraft to switch to tower. If I remember right, I think they actually gave a "callsign" of Phoenix Approach a couple of times.
Is this frequency actually Phoenix Approach....on a military band frequency??
It sounds a little weird for it to be in such a high freq range and be civil air but it is REALLY busy. Anyone else know if this is really Phx Approach and why it is in the Mil Air spectrum?

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Any idea why they're using a frequency that is most commonly reserved for the Milair stuff?

You'll find this happens at major airports and/or airports that support civilian and military aircraft. In this case they are simultaneously broadcasting on VHF and UHF. The MILAIR folks have a choice of which to use in most cases. The UHF frequency allows them to not have to listen to the CIVAIR stuff too, just the controller.

Perfectly normal. There are more frequencies that do this as well. In this case, sounds like you're listening to the Phoenix TRACON. I normally listen to the Tucson UHF TRACON frequencies for just the same reason as the MILAIR folks, so I don't have to listen to Southwest coming and going, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.