Where to Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubs8080

Hi everyone. This is all pretty new to me and I am eager to learn more about scanning and becoming a licensed amateur. I have registered for my FRN and will be working on taking the exam shortly. I have some general questions on how to pick up chatter as I cant seem to pick up anything on my radio.

Any tips or advice on how to get started? I have not yet programmed anything utilizing the USB cord, but wasnt sure it was needed or not.

Again, just a beginner here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Hi everyone. This is all pretty new to me and I am eager to learn more about scanning and becoming a licensed amateur. I have registered for my FRN and will be working on taking the exam shortly. I have some general questions on how to pick up chatter as I cant seem to pick up anything on my radio.

Any tips or advice on how to get started? I have not yet programmed anything utilizing the USB cord, but wasnt sure it was needed or not.

Again, just a beginner here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to RR!

You've asked a very wide open question about not picking up anything on your radio. To give you a meaningful answer we need to know what "radio" you have and your general location. Most radios need to be programmed with frequencies for a specific location. The preset frequencies (channels) installed in the radio may not be valid for your location.

rdubs8080

Welcome to RR!

You've asked a very wide open question about not picking up anything on your radio. To give you a meaningful answer we need to know what "radio" you have and your general location. Most radios need to be programmed with frequencies for a specific location. The preset frequencies (channels) installed in the radio may not be valid for your location.
Thank you for replying. It is a td-f9gp by tidradio. I am in the north Phoenix metro area. How do I confirm whether or not I need to program? Purchased from amazon and does have an additional antenna. I’ve watched a few videos but I think you are right on programming. Any additional advice would be super helpful. Thank you!!!

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @rdubs8080 and welcome to Radio Reference. You have the 8 Watt version of the Baofeng UV-5R. Here is the Amazon listing for your HT:

That is a "TIDRADIO TD-F9GP Ham Radio Handheld Upgraded Version of Baofeng UV-5R Radio Uhf VHF Radio 2 Way Radio High Power Dual Band Walkie Talkies" per the Amazon listing.

You will need the programming software and programming cable to get useful frequencies in the radio for your area. Since you are looking to become a ham, are you just interested in programming ham repeaters and simplex (non-repeater frequencies) into your radio? Give us an idea of what you want to listen to in the northern Phoenix, Arizona area. Then we can give you some specific frequencies to program. What programming software will you be using? Looking forward to your answers...

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
@rdubs8080, here is the Repeater Book listing URL for the Phoenix, Arizona Amateur Radio (ham) repeaters:

Your HT is capable of the frequencies in the 14x.xxx MHz and 44x.xxx MHz ranges and where the mode is FM.

There is a better way to list the repeaters in your area but we would need your zip code. Then we could search using a radius of "TBD" miles from the geographic center of your zip code. The radius is determined by whether you will be using your HT with the stock antenna inside your house (0.5 to 2 miles), outside your house using your HT with the stock antenna (2 to 5 miles) or you want a wide area around your zip code (up to 25 miles). Of course, at some point there may be more frequencies than you have memory locations for. The TIDRADIO TD-F9GP HT can hold 128 frequencies that can be either simplex or repeaters.

As for Public Safety, your area is found on this listing:

Phoenix Fire does have some FM narrowband listings in the 15x.xxx MHz range however, they are also on the area's trunked radio system. What that might mean is that these frequencies could have been abandoned. To find out more information on that, you may want to press the "Report" hypertext in the lower-left of this post and ask that this thread be moved to the Arizona state forums where you will get folks local to the area that are hopefully more knowledgeable than I on what frequencies Public Safety can be found on.

Phoenix Police and Phoenix Fire appear to be Project 25 Phase II on the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) system which your radio cannot receive. There is also a fair amount of full-time encryption going on with the talkgroups that no scanner can receive. The RWC system is found at the following link and any talkgroup with a capital "E" is full-time encrypted.

Anyway, I hope that all of this is not too confusing and helps you to get started on your journey.

73, Dave K4EET

rdubs8080

@rdubs8080, here is the Repeater Book listing URL for the Phoenix, Arizona Amateur Radio (ham) repeaters:

Your HT is capable of the frequencies in the 14x.xxx MHz and 44x.xxx MHz ranges and where the mode is FM.

There is a better way to list the repeaters in your area but we would need your zip code. Then we could search using a radius of "TBD" miles from the geographic center of your zip code. The radius is determined by whether you will be using your HT with the stock antenna inside your house (0.5 to 2 miles), outside your house using your HT with the stock antenna (2 to 5 miles) or you want a wide area around your zip code (up to 25 miles). Of course, at some point there may be more frequencies than you have memory locations for. The TIDRADIO TD-F9GP HT can hold 128 frequencies that can be either simplex or repeaters.

As for Public Safety, your area is found on this listing:

Phoenix Fire does have some FM narrowband listings in the 15x.xxx MHz range however, they are also on the area's trunked radio system. What that might mean is that these frequencies could have been abandoned. To find out more information on that, you may want to press the "Report" hypertext in the lower-left of this post and ask that this thread be moved to the Arizona state forums where you will get folks local to the area that are hopefully more knowledgeable than I on what frequencies Public Safety can be found on.

Phoenix Police and Phoenix Fire appear to be Project 25 Phase II on the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) system which your radio cannot receive. There is also a fair amount of full-time encryption going on with the talkgroups that no scanner can receive. The RWC system is found at the following link and any talkgroup with a capital "E" is full-time encrypted.

Anyway, I hope that all of this is not too confusing and helps you to get started on your journey.

73, Dave K4EET
@K4EET,

Thank you so much for all the amazing information. I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this and help me. The programming cable in en route and was shipped yesterday as the package did not include one. However, they did include the details of where to go for program software. www.walkietalkiesoftware.com. Is this a good URL to go to or is there a better recommended source to download software? Also, once the software is installed, is it easy to go through or is this something I should have some coding/programming experience in?

The major things that I am trying to do is ensure that if the internet and power goes down that I can connect with my loved ones that are spread out all over the valley. I would like to get my license and broadcast, but my first priority is getting used to scanning and listening for anything within my area that would be pertinent information to know. My loved ones do have similar devices purchased at a local store here in Phoenix called the Ham Radio Outlet, but they are in need of programming too so it is my responsibility to get them up and running.

Hopefully I can learn enough to get them up and running too! Thanks again! Let me know my next steps.
Respectfully,

Ryan

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> ...they did include the details of where to go for program software. www.walkietalkiesoftware.com. Is this a good URL to go to or is there a better recommended source to download software? Also, once the software is installed, is it easy to go through or is this something I should have some coding/programming experience in?
As for the programming software, I am not familiar with that particular one but since it is promoted by TIDRADIO, I would go ahead and use it over some of the others that may or may not work 100%. You will not need coding/programming experience but you probably will have questions on the terminology used for parameters and what values go where.
The major things that I am trying to do is ensure that if the internet and power goes down that I can connect with my loved ones that are spread out all over the valley. I would like to get my license and broadcast, but my first priority is getting used to scanning and listening for anything within my area that would be pertinent information to know. My loved ones do have similar devices purchased at a local store here in Phoenix called the Ham Radio Outlet, but they are in need of programming too so it is my responsibility to get them up and running. <snip>
Are all of you getting ham licenses? You would need to if you all are planning on using the Phoenix area ham repeaters. Of course that means that the repeaters will need to have backup power if the power grid is interrupted. If you all are planning to talk radio-to-radio, you still each need ham licenses. Whether you can establish communications depends on how far apart you all are, what obstacles are in between you all and the type of antenna system you might be using for radio-to-radio communications.

Ham radio is excellent for emergency communications but be aware that in the event of a real emergency, the repeaters may be tied up with emergency traffic from the various emergency communications groups (ARES, RACES, REACT, etc.).

If you and your loved ones are not all planning to get ham licenses, then you might consider other options such as CB radio. If you want to tell us a little more about your plans, we could possibly help you out even better than I am doing. I don't know if everyone is on-board to get ham licenses, I don't geographically where you all are located with respect to one another, the terrain and obstructions in-between you all, etc. There are a lot of factors that go into planning and making sure that a communications system is going to work the way you want it to when you need it most.

Hope this answers a few more of your questions...

73, Dave K4EET

rdubs8080

As for the programming software, I am not familiar with that particular one but since it is promoted by TIDRADIO, I would go ahead and use it over some of the others that may or may not work 100%. You will not need coding/programming experience but you probably will have questions on the terminology used for parameters and what values go where.

Are all of you getting ham licenses? You would need to if you all are planning on using the Phoenix area ham repeaters. Of course that means that the repeaters will need to have backup power if the power grid is interrupted. If you all are planning to talk radio-to-radio, you still each need ham licenses. Whether you can establish communications depends on how far apart you all are, what obstacles are in between you all and the type of antenna system you might be using for radio-to-radio communications.

Ham radio is excellent for emergency communications but be aware that in the event of a real emergency, the repeaters may be tied up with emergency traffic from the various emergency communications groups (ARES, RACES, REACT, etc.).

If you and your loved ones are not all planning to get ham licenses, then you might consider other options such as CB radio. If you want to tell us a little more about your plans, we could possibly help you out even better than I am doing. I don't know if everyone is on-board to get ham licenses, I don't geographically where you all are located with respect to one another, the terrain and obstructions in-between you all, etc. There are a lot of factors that go into planning and making sure that a communications system is going to work the way you want it to when you need it most.

Hope this answers a few more of your questions...

73, Dave K4EET
Hi Dave!

I think in general the plan was for me to be able to broadcast out to those who were listening at the same frequency (family) and to be able to ensure that should we need to meet somewhere we could do so in the case of an emergency. My father in law is also planning on getting his license, but as for the rest, i am unsure. We do have one mountain range( very small) between my in laws and my location, but other then that, it is all pretty flat in between all of us. I would think my location is central to everyone while most are 15-25 miles from my location. I havent thought of the antenna systems or anything, but I think my goal is to be able to pick up the most important traffic and then communicate that out to family that may not have the ability to stay well informed. Not sure that makes sense, but was what I was hoping for.

Ryan

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Dave!

I think in general the plan was for me to be able to broadcast out to those who were listening at the same frequency (family) and to be able to ensure that should we need to meet somewhere we could do so in the case of an emergency. My father in law is also planning on getting his license, but as for the rest, i am unsure. We do have one mountain range( very small) between my in laws and my location, but other then that, it is all pretty flat in between all of us. I would think my location is central to everyone while most are 15-25 miles from my location. I havent thought of the antenna systems or anything, but I think my goal is to be able to pick up the most important traffic and then communicate that out to family that may not have the ability to stay well informed. Not sure that makes sense, but was what I was hoping for.

Ryan
Ryan, unfortunately, "broadcasting" is not permitted thus illegal and will get you fined. It is almost 3 AM so I am going to call it a day. I'll have more to say later today. Perhaps somebody else can help me out here. 73, Dave K4EET

rdubs8080

Ryan, unfortunately, "broadcasting" is not permitted thus illegal and will get you fined. It is almost 3 AM so I am going to call it a day. I'll have more to say later today. Perhaps somebody else can help me out here. 73, Dave K4EET
Thanks Dave. I guess I’m confused now but will wait for your additional words of wisdom today. It is starting to sound like a ham is going to be more of a device to listen in on then to speak on, but if that is the case, what do people on a ham radio do if they don’t broadcast? Perhaps broadcast is not the fright term?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"Broadcast" implies a one-to-many relationship like a commercial AM or FM broadcaster.

"Transmit" is the term more-commonly used in amateur radio for the generation of an RF signal intended to carry some sort of information.

One-way transmissions are not permitted by the amateur radio rules except in specific circumstances such as the dissemination of bulletins of amateur radio interest or remote control of a station.

rdubs8080

Thank you AK9R,
With what you and Dave have mentioned it sounds like a CB is a better route. However I don’t know how far a CB signal transmits and isn’t there a larger limitation on channels or are channels and frequencies the same thing?
Ryan

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> it sounds like a CB is a better route. However I don’t know how far a CB signal transmits and isn’t there a larger limitation on channels or are channels and frequencies the same thing? Ryan
Hi Ryan, earlier in Post #6 you said:
The major things that I am trying to do is ensure that if the internet and power goes down that I can connect with my loved ones that are spread out all over the valley.
Communications is basically dependent on three things that you cannot control: distance (radio to radio), terrain (plains, ridges, mountains, valleys, etc.) and obstructions (trees, buildings, etc.). What you can try to control is frequency selection (CB vs. GMRS, etc.), antenna height (transmit and receive ends if permitted), antenna gain/type (if permitted), power (if permitted) and of course feedline selection to the antenna if separate from the radio.

Now depending on those factors will dictate what you are going to need to do for reliable communications. You could think about GMRS with a community repeater that is on emergency power. But if you want point-to-point simplex communications, more information and more design is going to be required to be sure that the proposed solution actually works when it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.