Where to buy a radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vet0910

Hello there, can someone guide me to a few REPUTABLE dealers (other than Amazon) that sell HAM radios and equipment ? I am brand new to Amateur Radio. Thank you!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hello there, can someone guide me to a few REPUTABLE dealers (other than Amazon) that sell HAM radios and equipment ? I am brand new to Amateur Radio. Thank you!
FWIW, I don’t really consider Amazon an Amateur Radio Dealer. As a new ham, and even seasoned hams alike, we rely on the knowledge of the dealers to help us make the right decisions when it comes to purchasing ham gear. There are a lot of high dollar choices out there competing for our hard earned dollars and even for the low dollar accessories, purchasing the right stuff can be a maze without knowledgeable purchasing assistance.

Most Amazon “stores” that sell ham related items really shouldn’t be selling anything ham related simply because most of them have no clue what they are selling to begin with. If you think I’m kidding, pick one of those CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) sellers and ask if their “xyz” brand radio can do the most common triangle modulation. You’ll be surprised at how many will either say “Yes” or “I’m sure it does!” LOL 😂

So a few tidbits of advice.
1. Steer clear of CCRs if possible. Several reputable ham brands have sub $100 radios and even more if you are willing to accept “open-box,” “B-Stock,” or “Pre-Owned” equipment.
2. Buy from established Amateur Radio dealerships. Not only do you need their knowledge before you purchase the item(s), you may have additional questions once you receive the item(s) and you may need their assistance for an in-warranty or out-of-warranty claim. Try getting that from Amazon 2 years down the road. Some sellers are not even there 2 months post-sale!
3. If you are fortunate enough to live close-by one or more of the Amateur Radio dealerships, nothing can beat heading out to the brick-and-mortar store to fondle the equipment up close and personal.

Last but not least, don’t hesitate to post questions here at Radio Reference. Plenty of hams are here to help you out and guess what? We all started exactly where you are today. Just keep in mind, there are no stupid questions. Someone is out there with the same question that you have. Trust me on that.

73, Dave K4EET

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What type of ham radio are you looking for? If you're after a 2m/70cm Chinese Cheapie like K4EET mentioned (Baofeng, TYT, Anytone etc) you won't find them sold at regular ham radio dealers.

In that case, Amazon or eBay are your best bet.. There are some good Amazon sellers..

I deal mostly with HRO and DX Engineering.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FWIW, I don’t really consider Amazon an Amateur Radio Dealer.
This. I hear many new hams talking about buying radios, etc., from Amazon. Admittedly, I'm old school, so Amazon is the last place I'd look for amateur radio equipment. That said, I think this reliance on Amazon because we have new hams coming into amateur radio who don't get involved with clubs and don't have mentors (elmers). They get their information from other relatively new hams on social media. And, all those social media contacts send them to Amazon.
Most Amazon “stores” that sell ham related items really shouldn’t be selling anything ham related simply because most of them have no clue what they are selling to begin with.
I've seen major ham radio stores selling through Amazon. Look in the Amazon listing for the seller and you might be surprised to see some of the stores listed above.

If you're after a 2m/70cm Chinese Cheapie like K4EET mentioned (Baofeng, TYT, Anytone etc) you won't find them sold at regular ham radio dealers.
Actually, that's not always true.

R&L Electronics sells Anytone, Baofeng, TYT.
GigaParts sells Anytone.
Ham Radio Outlet sells Anytone.

Vet0910

FWIW, I don’t really consider Amazon an Amateur Radio Dealer. As a new ham, and even seasoned hams alike, we rely on the knowledge of the dealers to help us make the right decisions when it comes to purchasing ham gear. There are a lot of high dollar choices out there competing for our hard earned dollars and even for the low dollar accessories, purchasing the right stuff can be a maze without knowledgeable purchasing assistance.

Most Amazon “stores” that sell ham related items really shouldn’t be selling anything ham related simply because most of them have no clue what they are selling to begin with. If you think I’m kidding, pick one of those CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) sellers and ask if their “xyz” brand radio can do the most common triangle modulation. You’ll be surprised at how many will either say “Yes” or “I’m sure it does!” LOL 😂

So a few tidbits of advice.
1. Steer clear of CCRs if possible. Several reputable ham brands have sub $100 radios and even more if you are willing to accept “open-box,” “B-Stock,” or “Pre-Owned” equipment.
2. Buy from established Amateur Radio dealerships. Not only do you need their knowledge before you purchase the item(s), you may have additional questions once you receive the item(s) and you may need their assistance for an in-warranty or out-of-warranty claim. Try getting that from Amazon 2 years down the road. Some sellers are not even there 2 months post-sale!
3. If you are fortunate enough to live close-by one or more of the Amateur Radio dealerships, nothing can beat heading out to the brick-and-mortar store to fondle the equipment up close and personal.

Last but not least, don’t hesitate to post questions here at Radio Reference. Plenty of hams are here to help you out and guess what? We all started exactly where you are today. Just keep in mind, there are no stupid questions. Someone is out there with the same question that you have. Trust me on that.

73, Dave K4EET

Thank you! 🇺🇸. That’s why I said “other than Amazon”, because everything is Chinese crap. I don’t want anything Chinese. Do you recommend any dealers?

AK9R

Super Moderator
When I'm shopping, I search for prices and availability at:

R&L Electronics
DX Engineering
Ham Radio Outlet
GigaParts
MTC Radio

...in that order.

I'm close enough to R&L that if I order something on a weekday, I'll have it the next day. With DX Engineering or Ham Radio Outlet, it usually takes 2 days. But, that's totally a function of my location.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking that after I posted the reply.. Some dealers must have bent a bit and added the odd CRC to their stock :)

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I knew I forgot one ... DX Engineering.

HRO and Antenna Farm are my go-to places, but I think I've bought from all of the ones I listed and have had good experiences with all of them.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I've got to speak up for my state!
Buy Two Way Radios

AK9R

Super Moderator
I've got to speak up for my state!
Buy Two Way Radios
They don't sell anything from Icom's or Kenwood's amateur radio line. The Icoms and Kenwoods that they sell are land mobile radios. The "amateur radios" they sell are Baofeng, TYT, Wouxun, President, Galaxy. They mistakenly list the Icom IC-F8101 as an amateur radio, but it's actually from Icom's land mobile line.

w2xq

Mentor
While HRO and other mainstream dealers advertising in QST mentioned above are reputable ham radio dealers, and other writers unfairly denigrate CCRs (cheap Chinese radios), your question is too broad to answer. What class license do you have? Are you looking to operate on the HF bands (10-160 m) or on the VHF bands (2 m, 70 cm etc)?

I am guessing you are looking for a handheld ham radio. In addition to ICOM, Kenwood and Yeasu sold by those dealers with multi-page ads in QST and CQ, there is an exceptional (in my opinion) mail order dealer that I use. I bought TYT radios and accessories from Buy Two Way Radios - Lowest 2 Way Radio Prices Anywhere! and never a problem. I usually get delivery in 1 or 2 days.

If you are new to ham radio, I would suggest you look through the ARRL - Home Store for some of the introductory books that may be of interest to you. Your local radio club or a test administrator should also be able to help. HTH.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I can personally recommend nearly every retailer already listed. The amateur community has some excellent retailers and the bad examples are quickly discovered and don't last long.

If you know exactly what your needs are and the exact item you want, Amazon* can be a choice. If you aren't exactly certain and are considering rigs, antennas, etc., the above retailers will ask questions to help you get the best QRP rig, the best low profile antenna, or the best linear amp for your needs and operating style. They may not be the absolute cheapest, but they will stand behind their products and help you if you have an issue.

* [personal note - I loathe Jeff Bezos]

Status
Not open for further replies.